Spoilers Borg Question (might as well drop this now)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Lord Garth, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Did the Romulans create the Borg?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    70.8%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. I have no idea what you're smoking, but give me some.

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a very time-sensitive poll. In theory. 24 hours from now, we might know one way or another. But this is a snapshot.

Do you think the Romulans created the Borg? It might sound outlandish. But it's all in good fun.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would require time travel shenanigans in the best of cases, and I sorta hope PIC won't time travel.

Also, the Romulans seem genuinely curious about the Borg - but while they are keen on harboring secrets, they don't appear the slightest bit secretive about what they do with the Borg, even inviting guests to their vivisection sessions. (Or are they being secretive in secret?)

Timo Saloniemi

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Borg are wandering around... Stopping advanced cultures from becoming more advanced.... Which seems like a good way to stop anyone from crossing the threshold.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Unimatrix Q, urbandk and Timo like this.
  4. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this would turn out to be the big, bad secret earlier but after seeing the admonision, no.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Nope. But as I postulated after the first episode, I think the Romulans had FC with the Borg long before anyone else in Alpha - perhaps even millennia ago.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

It seems like this could somehow tie into the events of "The Neutral Zone" (TNG S1), where the Romulans make their first appearance after 53 years because "matters more urgent" kept them away. Remember that the Enterprise is investigating outposts that have been "scooped out of the ground". That had Borg written all over it, even though it happened prior to the Borg's appearance.

So, while the Romulans may not have created the Borg, they are certainly aware of them and have had prior encounters.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  7. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chose 'I don't know'. It's possible I guess, I'm just not sure how long the Romulans have existed vs when we know the Borg started up.

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Take it sleazy Moderator

I doubt it. I think the Romulans got lucky and found a Borg cube, they then tried to use it to find ways to fight the robots they fear.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a lot of preconceived notions about the show as it went along, but "the Romulans created the Borg" was not one of them.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Frankly, this theory is so three weeks ago. :p

Stick a fork in it.

Lord Garth and ITDUDE like this.
  11. TPezz

TPezz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My original prediction was that Soji would end up being the beginning of the Borg, the very first Borg Queen. Of course there would be some sort of time travel since Borg are a lot older than Humans. But I thought the idea that, as Soji is technically Data’s daughter, Data, the man we all know and love, was the father of the Borg.

But now I don’t know.

I do hope that there is more to the Borg storyline and that they are connected somehow to the Romulans or Synths. I will be disappointed if the Borg cube crash is the last we see of them.

12. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if Seven will make a hard choice to call in the Borg collective to help fight the synth coalition. Possible assimilation on one hand, versus total annihilation on the other. The Federation squadron will probably show up, too, to duke it out with the Romulans and everyone else. A battle for the ages. Throw in a cleave ship, too.

13. RedShirt2009

RedShirt2009 Ensign Newbie

Starfleet Command, San Francisco Bay Area
    I don't think the Romulans created the Borg and I can't think of any evidence to suggest it. I also don't believe the Tellerites created the Breen