Spoilers Book of Boba Fett [Spoiler Discussion]

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Reverend, Dec 29, 2021.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Dark Jedi is just a term of a force user who is not part of the order or a Sith.

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's also an oxymoron and misnomer.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

No, it's an oxymoron term that was only created to allow a little extra player creativity and flexibility for custom characters within the framework of the existing rules of the old pen and paper RPG, not actually intended to be a part of the world building. It is an utterly meaningless term, second only to "Grey Jedi" in terms of stupidity.

There's a reason they don't use either in canon media. You're either a member of the Jedi order, or you're not. You're either a Sith, or you're not. You're either a Witch initiated into a Dathomirian Coven, or you're not. You're either a free agent beholden to no organised belief structure or creed but your own, light or dark . . . or you're not. See how this works?

I'll admit, characters like Ahsoka, Ty Yorrick, Ventress and Maul mean that Star Wars could do with a term analogous to "Ronin" for any force wielder trained in the Jedi arts--yes, Sith fall under this too, just ask Qui Gon--wandering the galaxy, beholden to no Order. But for now, they're no such appropriate catch-all term.
    . . . but if the 'Visions' novel is any indication, they may have imaginatively gone with "Ronin"!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Asajj Ventress wasn't a Sith, just the apprentice TO a Sith Lord who trained her in the art of lightsaber combat. Dooku couldn't take on a Sith apprentice unless he first killed his Master, and that wasn't going to happen.

5. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Force Ronin?

6. thribs

The word was used in the EU before the Sith was properly established to mean a bad Force user. Later it was used to just mean someone with questionable motives

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

She was 100% being groomed as a Sith apprentice. Dooku just vastly overestimated his own sneakiness thinking Sidious wouldn't see him coming from a parsec away.

The idea that there can't be a new apprentice until *after* the old Master is killed is nonsense. I mean who do we think usually helps kill the old Master? I mean sure, in terms of formalities they're not invested as a Lord of the Sith and given a "Darth" name until the deed is done, but it is just a formality at that point. The Rule of Two is a philosophy, not a hard fact of reality. You get more than two Sith on the board, sooner or later one of them is getting murdered to death. But it's not instantaneous.

Apprentices take time to train, and just as any self respecting Sith Master will have multiple spares lined up, so too will and self respecting apprentice, sooner or later acquire apprentices of their own, keeping them in the wings until the moment is right. Hell, if Ahsoka had been on Coruscrant instead of Mandalore, you can bet Windu's body wouldn't have even been cold before Anakin tried to pitch her the idea of being his apprentice again so they can off Sidious and rule the galaxy as . . . uh . . . platonic foster siblings?

Still, even pushing all that aside since it's not massively relevant to the point; even before this Ventress was a Jedi Padawan, trained in the Jedi arts for years before her Master was killed. Either way the term (or lack or term, since we don't have a real one) still applies both before and after she served Tyranus . . . until she bit the dust, of course.
    Personally, I would have gone with "Bendu" as a nod to the early drafts, but it's since been taken. Oh well.
    OK, again: No. "Sith = baddie" is a concept that goes back to the earliest drafts of the first movie, and even made as far as actual shooting, only for the line to be trimmed out of the Death Star conference scene for time. It subsequently appeared in plenty of tie-in media from comics to story books, to stickers, all labelling Vader as "The Dark Lord of the Sith". Lucas's concept of what that meant never changed substantially from then, to when he made the prequels and later; TCW. That some authors in the EU decided to wander off on their own with the term is neither here not there.

And, like I said, "Dark Jedi" as a term came from the pen and paper RPG in the mid-to late 80's before the EU was even considered the EU. It's where a lot of the Bantam books mined a lot of background details (vehicles, equipment, planets, species etc) that didn't come directly from the movies. Being old doesn't make it any less wrong and misused.

8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good episode, pretty much the best one of the series I think.

Shes more machine than woman.. :borg:

Slammed the flashbacks down with a hammer.. Your healed! Praise his merciful shadow! ..:biggrin:

9. thribs

But how did he know that guy had his armor? I must know! :)

10. thribs

Fine! A force user who isn’t a Jedi or Sith. Happy? :)

11. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least they didn't punk out when it mattered.

The wookie tore the trando's arm clean off. Wookies ARE known to do that.

Turtletrekker and cooleddie74 like this.
  12. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also gotta say, I'm feeling like Ming Na is stealing a lot of the thunder in this show. Would anyone else liked to have seen the "Book of Shand" instead? I'm kinda there.

She's so fast and accurate with that blaster that she's either

a) A Disney Princess (girl power!) or;
    b) Mildly Force sensitive, like Chirrut in Rogue One. Now wouldn't that make an interesting storyline?

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
  14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I...
    I got nothin...

:guffaw:

ETA: I am so stealing this and sharing it without attribution. Mainly because none was included.

CorporalClegg and cooleddie74 like this.
  15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's also the part where the guy gets elected to head office on the grounds he will stop the Bezos and his ilk, only to continue to give all the money people support in secret. Then, a few years down the road, when he refuses to remove himself from office, starts a coup.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No thanks. Shand pains me.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is Slave I now the Firespray or is it a Firespray class ship?

18. thribs

Yeah Disney renamed it. Slave I was apparently too offensive for them. :)

19. Turtletrekker

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  20. Turtletrekker

Wrong again.

Reverend and Richard S. Ta like this.