BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Commodore Commodore

While going thru some of my old Star Trek project files I stumbled upon this fun experiment I did back in 2017 when my son was learning Scratch to see what Scratch could do. I whipped together a simple space game based on TOS original FX. I overlayed some music in post. No sound effects and the torpedoes have infinite range but I thought it turned out well given what limited time I could put into it :)

(I recommend viewing in YouTube or making the playback window larger to see the background star movement.)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  2. blssdwlf

I don't know if y'all have seen the OTOY announcement about The Roddenberry Archive that also includes the digital creation of Star Trek ships with interiors. We'll finally get to see their interpretation of how those shuttlebay doors open. There is a sequence at 4min 30sec in the The Roddenberry Archive: Behind The Scenes (The Gene Roddenberry Estate/OTOY) where we see the TMP Enterprise's shuttlebay doors close.

I've watched it a few times and I'm still not sure how it physically works :D

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Side note: my TMP bridge will be part of the Roddenberry Archive ;-)

Ajax, nightwind1, QuinnTV and 15 others like this.
  4. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice! Congrats, Donny!

5. blssdwlf

Wow! That's awesome! Congratulations Donny! :eek::techman::beer:

Are you at liberty to say in what form it will be (the Unreal version or the original Max version?) (or both?) :)

6. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

It will be my Unreal version converted in OTOY’s renderer. I don’t know at this point, however, if it will be a fully immersed 3D experience or not.

Tallguy, blssdwlf and danellis like this.
  7. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given how many hours you put into that project it's great to hear that it will be part of an "official" archive like this. :beer:

8. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am surprised that after all these years, the corporate wielders of decision making power who operate Star Trek and who presumably owe their own fates ultimately to stockholders, haven’t gathered that Star Trek is not like other properties. It has a germ of believability at its core precisely because many blanks were not filled in. And for good reason - once you dig down deep, it doesn’t work. Better to give some of it a “TARDIS pass” and attribute the apparent magic to technologies we just can’t understand.

The more you market the hell out of everything, the more it wipes out those blank spaces that generate the nerd buzz that has surrounded Star Trek for 55 years. Not that it wouldn’t be successful - it just becomes less a perpetual motion machine and more conventional in its marketability and lack of homespun curiosity and interest. Star Trek is not Star Wars, which says right up front it is a fairy tale and thus not subject to the same rules as something pretending to be our future. Star Trek needs some verisimilitude to have momentum, but none is better than that created by the mind’s eye. "The more left to the imagination, the more the excitement”, or at least that’s what Hitchcock said.

That being said, I love this stuff. I just hate “official stamps of approval”.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    publiusr, blssdwlf and Commander Troi like this.
  9. blssdwlf

I agree with your sentiment.

I'm curious as to how screen-accurate they will be. It's a bit heartening that they are using Donny's TMP bridge after seeing they modified the TMP rec deck to fit into their TMP Enterprise...

Any version will be great :D although I wonder if the MAX version would be preferable as technology improves?

BK613 likes this.
  10. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Adding my congrats. Way to go, your work deserves the recognition.

11. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

And deservedly so. Did you do the Planet of The Titans Enterprise at the cyber museum? That might be a good next project..to make Ken Adam’s Moonraker like sets live in CGI for posterity

12. blssdwlf

@Donny - Otoy's got some of your TMP bridge images up on their website. :techman:

They credit the modelers for the TMP Enterprise but oddly I don't see one for the TOS Enterprise. Anyone know who modeled it?

There is some interesting information on their approach to the ship models. A ship will have two primary versions, the "production" and "in-universe" one and from the way I'm reading it the former is basically the visual effects model and the latter an imaginary one to fill in the details of an idealized ship... Based on the renderings of what I'm seeing for the TMP Enterprise it looks like a "what if production actually built sets to fit the ship?" :)

https://home.otoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/RoddenberryArchive_081221.pdf

And after watching the TMP Enterprise shuttle bay doors close over and over again I'm still not sure how it is doing it. Anyone in the know? :)

13. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Might be you'll have to bug Andrew Probert about that. ;)

14. Commodore_Sarvour

Commodore_Sarvour Lieutenant Red Shirt

Probert?
    Probert?
    Probert?
    Andrew Probert?
    ((trying/testing theory))

Santaman likes this.
  15. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

16. blspro

blspro Ensign Newbie

Haven't been much in the way of updates, so I thought I'd just checking in to see if blssdwlf has made any headway on his amazing TOS work!

17. blssdwlf

Thanks for asking @blspro - Nothing recent. The last several months I've been overloaded with work so between that and family I just haven't been able to do anything 3D. I have been admiring everyone else's amazing work though. I think there might be some slow-down (or at least normalcy) coming up at work so we'll see. :)