Black Widow anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2019.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Turtletrekker likes this.
  2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Eh it's giant corporation that can tug with your emotions. They can bring Downey Jr back anytime they want.

Sure he died in the movies and it was supposed to be the final movie for him but time and money can make a difference.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The rumor is that the cameo will be via deleted footage from Civil War, a la Jane Foster's deleted from Dark World but credited in Endgame appearance. Removes the need for any age-tweaking for Tony and likely a lot cheaper than actually bringing RDJ back in.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  4. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has anyone else found their interest in this movie waning since Tasha's death in Endgame?

A year ago I was thrilled with the idea of a Black Widow movie. "About damned time," was my first thought as I recall. But since she was killed off my interest has taken a nosedive. Now, I won't be seeing it in the theaters, I might pick it up on dvd, but then again I might not.

Does anyone else find themselves feeling anything similar?

Kitty Worrier likes this.
  5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm still very much looking forward to it. Honest question, why does having the character die later in the timeline change your interest level?

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not even a little.

The Wormhole and Nerys Myk like this.
  7. Duncan MacLeod

I guess because I know that the story, like the character, is already dead. My interest before was at least in part because I thought the story would continue. Now that I know it won't I just don't have much interest in it.

To be totally honest Endgame killed off about 70 to 80 % of my interest in the MCU. We lost Tony, Steve, and Tasha. We'll probably lose Thor in Love and Thunder. Because of corporate shenanigans we've lost Pete. The characters that were left were never ones I was particularly interested in, in the first place.

Oh well. I guess Q was right. All good things must come to an end.

Kitty Worrier likes this.
  8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Fair enough. I'll lay a few bucks on you falling in love with new characters down the line though. :)

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was totally there day #1 to see The Phantom Menace after having seen Return of the Jedi at its first showing, so....

Turtletrekker and Reverend like this.
  10. Duncan MacLeod

So was I. But this time it's just not working for me.

This time I'm more annoyed than anything else.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well look at it this way: better late than never.

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

For me, it is the opposite. Knowing that this will probably be SJ's last appearance as Black Widow and the possibility of finally giving her character the depth it deserves makes me want to see the film all the more.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just about to say that.
    Even if we are starting to lose some of the original characters, I like the new characters enough that I'm happy to just follow them instead now.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then I submit that it probably has nothing to do with knowing that the character will end up dead in a later chapter. It must be something else.

15. Duncan MacLeod

Well there's also the fact that I was 20 years younger then. Today I'm not sure I'll be alive for the reboot.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

17. Turtletrekker

And the quote from Kevin Feige in the OP, where he brings up Better Call Saul and how that show illuminated and expand upon what had been previously established in Breaking Bad, leads me to believe that we are going to get a story that is both meaningful to the character and relevant to the MCU moving forward, despite us knowing Natasha's ultimate fate.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  18. Turtletrekker

Sorry for the triple post (and quoting myself), but here is something I just realized about the whole "did Natasha know Bucky before the Winter Soldier" thing.

When Natasha was telling Steve about the Winter Soldier in the hospital, she would very likely never seen the Winter Soldier's face before. If she had ever met Bucky without his Winter Soldier mask before that point, she wouldn't have known it anyway. And she only got a brief look at his face in the Winter Soldier movie. She might not have even realized that she knew who he was until she managed to get that file from friends in Kiev that she gave to Steve at the end of the movie and seen his picture.

19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe wait till some reviews come out... or trailers... or a sypnosis... or a picture... or literally anything. Which so far we haven't had apart from "we're making a Black Widow movie and these actors are in it"

Until we get actually something I really wouldn't be worrying about it

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

But...but...this is the Internet!

Ethros and Doctor Bombay like this.