Spoilers Black Panther grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Feb 15, 2018.

?

How do you rate "Black Panther"?

1. A+

18.6%
  2. A

40.7%
  3. A-

15.0%
  4. B+

11.5%
  5. B

5.3%
  6. B-

3.5%
  7. C+

1.8%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.9%
  12. D-

0.9%
  13. F

0.9%
  1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I am totally gonna make that movie. I know there’s a market for it. When I can’t find a distributor I’ll cry censorship. It’ll go direct to video and I’ll advertise it on InfoWars.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

There have been plenty of movies down through the years that have been extremely loved in the black community. Movies like Get Out, Malcolm X, Do the Right Thing and a host of other Spike Lee movies. None of these movies came even close to doing the kind of business that BP has done.

That can mean only one thing; that not only did the black community find the movie a cultural touchstone to the point that they flocked to see BP multiple times, so must a whole lot of white people in America, as well as other minorities.

That some people want to attribute the movie's success to it's affect on the black community, is not a surprise. But the fact is, BP was a phenomenon to a huge number of Americans, period, regardless of race.

Marsden, Captrek and The Nth Doctor like this.
  3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

None of them were MCU films. Black Panther was handled really well in his first MCU appearance so the preeexisting MCU fanbase was primed to expect good things from the BP film.

4. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a good point. I recently re-watched Captain America Civil War and I thought the setup for Black Panther was better than the obvious one for Spider Man.

5. gblews

The sentence in my post which you quoted had to do with why so many black people went to see BP, not why the movie was so popular overall. I'm fairly certain that of the black people who went to see BP at least once (or multiple times), a fairly significant number of them never saw BP's set up in Civil War.

Black people responded to the movie primarily because it was a great movie, got great reviews and word of mouth, and because of the cast. That's pretty much the same reasons most everyone went to see the movie.

6. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I found this movie extremely boring and didn't give a damn about any of the characters. It wasn't exciting, it wasn't interesting and it wasn't funny. Sue me.

Fine acting and beautiful African/Wakandan costumes but it did not live up to the hype. Apart from being an important movie for cultural and gender equality, which is a good reason for it to exist regardless of how good or bad it is, there was nothing about this movie I liked. I was done with it after an hour of trying to get into it and only finished it because I was in company. I couldn't wait for the boredom to end.

Sarxus likes this.
  7. gblews

This is a bad idea. It is a blatant ploy to increase viewership. So the Academy comes up with a new category that guarantees an Oscar to whatever one of the blockbusters for that year.

Seems like the only way this Oscar will carry any prestige is if the "Best Popular" movie also wins "Best Picture". The other problem is that now if Oscar voters think a movie will get a "Best Popular" nomination, they will likely be less inclined to vote for the movie for Best Picture.

Frankly, I hope it doesn't start until 2020. I'd rather see if BP will get a Best Picture nom.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the same type of stunt as expanding the 'Best Picture' category to 10 nominees. It's just getting ridiculous.

9. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As enjoyable as the movie is, there's absolutely nothing in it that says best picture Oscar worthy. At all.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  10. Sarxus

Sarxus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I might not judge that hard, but yeah, it's basically this. As a huge MCU fan, this one didn't hold up to my expectations. And I've been actually looking forward since I found the character Black Panther really interesting when he was established in "Civil War". And yeah, the gender and race equality tones are something I appreciate too. But the movie itself... I don't know. Can't say it was completely bad, but saying that I enjoyed it a lot would be too much. I found the main villain extremely generic and boring, the action sequences were okay but not really special (apart from the huge battle sequence at the end maybe) and sometimes also not well filmed, like the first fighting scene in the jungle at the beginning of the movie, it was so dark that I barely recognized anything. Andy Serkis character had only a short role but managed to be extremely annoying which applies also to the humor that contained lots of teenie clichés in my opinion, regarding Black Panther's younger sister.

I'd say the movie has its moments and isn't a real disaster, but for me it's among the weeker MCU movies - Yet still better than "The Incredible Hulk" ^^

Terok Nor likes this.
  11. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I just saw Infinity War. Black Panther and Wakanda were a whole hell of a lot more interesting, exciting and entertaining in that. Danai Gurira's character owned the huge battle scene at the end along with the rest of the Wakandans.

I place the "blame" for Black Panther's solo outing squarely on the director of that movie. The poor script and CGI were huge factors also but a good director could've salvaged all that with the cast this movie has.

I realise my opinion is far from what most people thought but it's my honest assessment.

Sarxus likes this.
  12. Sarxus

Sarxus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same here. I've heard already a lot of people talk really positively about the movie, even considering it one of the best MCU films so far. Just two days ago I talked to a friend about it and he also seemed to be somewhat astonished that I don't like it too much ^^ But it happens quite often to me that my opinion on movies etc. is a bit different from the general point of view, so never mind :D

I haven't seen Infinity War yet, found barely time when it was in cinemas. But next month it will be published on DVD and Blu-Ray here, so then I'll catch up on that. Really looking forward!

Terok Nor likes this.
  13. gblews

I think he'll take that blame without reservation. :lol:

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit for the most part, and I certainly appreciated the cultural importance of the movie and liked the political set up. My main gripes are that the movie could have done a lot more with the politics of Wakanda, and the whole battle for the throne idea was just a rehash of something we've seen so many times in movies. It would have been a lot more interesting if Wakanda had had an actual government that T'Challa was responsible to, and Killmonger manipulated the House of Lords or whatever to sway a group over to his side for a Coup d'Etat.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Marvel is still pushing for the "Best Picture" nomination regardless of whatever is happening with "Best Popular Film," according to the Los Angeles Times.

“I would like to see the hard work and the effort and the vision and the belief of the talented filmmaker Ryan Coogler, who sat across the table from us a few years ago and said, ‘I have been wrestling with questions about my past and my heritage and I think I really want to tell a story within this movie,’ ” Feige said. “And that he did it so unbelievably well and with so much impact … seeing that potentially being recognized is what excites me the most.”

Feige mentioned the “personal” nature of Coogler’s work as a director and co-writer for “Black Panther” again later in the conversation and also reiterated a pride in “seeing the work of a young filmmaker whose third film has had this kind of impact around the world.”

Therein likely lies the blueprint for “Black Panther’s” best picture campaign — communicate to Oscar voters that this is an auteur-driven superhero movie possessing a deep significance both to its director and to people historically underrepresented in Hollywood films.​

gblews and Turtletrekker like this.
  16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I wish them luck.

17. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I gave it an 'A' but does that mean I would think it rates Oscar worthy?? :guffaw::guffaw:

18. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

But is an Oscar worth anything?

I know it must be a big deal to the Hollywood people, but most people outside Hollywood just don't care. I never did.

Nyotarules likes this.
  19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This year's Oscar Ceremony apparently had abysmal ratings. It seems like the Academy is trying anything to see what works.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

There’s already an award for the best popular film. It’s called the box office. Making it an Oscar category seems ridiculous.