Bizarre New Transwarp Ship in '09 SOTL Calendar

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by hellsgate, Jul 21, 2008.

1. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  2. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Never seen it before, it's one of those "Made for the calendar" images. I like it, reminds of me of a fast little corvette or cruiser.

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like it is a variation of one of the early designs when they were doing pre-production for Voyager.

4. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek meets Gerry Anderson

5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

It reminds me of a ship I saw on line years ago...IIRC it was called the "Talon" class.

6. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's Spock's ship from Trek XI.

What? Why are you looking at me like that? It could be!

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a FAB design!

8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a nice looking calander, based on the pics they have. Definately an improvement over this year's. Mr. Probert, since I know you're often on the boards, I must tell you that's an awesome pic you did.

9. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Er, no. :p

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I like the layout; the detailing is a bit fussy, and makes it look pretty small.

Many nice pix in the calendar, though; how did I miss the 2008 calendar?

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking 5 to 8 decks (8 tops) and something along the line of a fast-courier/diplomatic cruiser or fast little "hit and run" picket ship.

I'd love for Pocket, of course we'll never see it, to put out a tech-manualish sort of book on some of these one off designs.

12. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From some information on another board, it was done by the same guy who did the "Ice Station Alpha" ship in the 2008 calendar. Apparently, it's supposed to be a quantum slipstream testbed.

13. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I like the design, very predator like...

Now on the other hand, the image in the link of the Enterprise "airtunnel" model, is absolutely fantastic. I want a poster of that.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I really like it too! Am I the only one who thinks it looks a little like a Cylon Raider?

15. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Yeah, that one's really nice. (As an extension of that idea, perhaps a shot of the bridge populated by crash test dummies as they violently rock the ship back and forth? :p)

I'm also a huge fan of Andy Probert's newest contribution. We finally get to see his Type 7 shuttlecraft as it was meant to be seen, with the door in the nose and the gullwing side doors. :techman: Such a shame they never made that work on the series.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Could it be the Aventine?

17. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Commander Red Shirt

Thanks guys,

It's the U.S.S. Spirit (NX-79995) A quantum slipstream testbed. I indeed designed it for the calendar only. :)

Here are some minor specs:

Designed and constructed after the logs and data of Voyager where studied. (2390's)

"Spirit" class explorer/scout
    Quantum Slipstream testbed
    Length: around 120 meters.
    Crew: min: 12 max: 30
    Decks: 4 full decks.

Some new and experimental features that are visible on the ship:
    • Armor with enhanced energy distribution and asymetrical shieldgrid.
    • Rapid fire Pulse Phaser. Pulse phasers with 3 fire modes and 8 output points. (higher rate of fire but reduced firepower.)
    • Quantum Slipstream controller. This device will push/pull the Slipstream tunnel towards or away from the ship for a more effecient and less bumpy ride. At the moment 6 of them are in series to do the brute force work.
    • Subspace failsafe system. Makes sure the ship stays in the lower domains of subspace and will drop out of slipstream if safety is compremised.
    • Integrated bridge with window & viewscreen.
    • Core shield layer that absorbs most baryon particles. (Reduces warp signature also.)
    • Small Shuttlebay with a drop down door that functions as a landing platform. (Andrew Probert sketched this out for me, I had to modify it a bit to stay within the deadline, but it worked very well!) I hope to show renders of it later this year.
    I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, on a big format like the calendar it still should have enough detail left to stay interesting. I also love the painting that Andrew made for the calendar! :)

- Mark

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yes! This is what I've always advocated for these calendars: New original ship designs by new artists. I'm so sick and tired of seeing Excelsiors, Mirandas and Klingon Birds-of-Prey every single year. Boring! And quite frankly, although I love the original Enterprise, I'm getting sick of seeing it as well.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I would doubt that, as Titan Designer said in one of the TrekLit that he offered to design the Aventine, but that Marco had no budget for it, hence any design he'd come up wouldn't be official. Therefore, I'd assume there's no official design of Dax's command.

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey! Watch it, you!