News Bill and Ted Face the Music Officially Announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, May 8, 2018.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I missed that one. But I think I remember hearing about that ending/change too. Which between stuff like that and this, and stuff in other places I can almost see where the "Men-inist" types are coming from (further added when we factor in current Trek shows also putting focus on female characters) but at the same time, I shrug and don't care. Male characters have been the focus of attention and wins in story telling for pretty much the entire existence of fiction, so it probably makes a little bit of sense for female characters start getting some focus and wins.

Probably because we all need something, anything, right now to make us up lifted and even chuckle a little bit.

I think the second one gets too much "like" from people, there's quite a bit to like about it but there's aspects of it that don't work for me. On this one? I might watch it again, but to do so I'd have to either re-rent it our buy it and if I buy it it'll probably we when it's on Amazon for cheaper.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh definitely, it's not anywhere as high in my favourites as pt.1, but then I first saw pt.2 when I was 8 years old. Now I'm seeing pt.3 at age 36. Things like that can obviously change how you enjoy things, and there's always that sense of nostalgia when watching 1 & 2 (or any movie from my youth) I know I'm not gonna get with a new movie.

Spoiler for the movie & ending
    I still don't really get it, maybe I didn't pay attenion enough tbf. So if it was the daughters all along who saved the world, why are fathers Bill & Ted so revered in the future? They're literally worshipped in the first movie, moving pictures of them on the walls, the future council and everyone else can't believe their luck at meeting them. They're the ones referred to as "the two Great Ones." Rufus says he specifically has to go back to help the two Great Ones. They're the ones on the CD at the end. And as Rufus says-
    "You see, eventually your music will help put an end to war and poverty. It will align the planets and bring them into universal harmony, allowing meaningful contact with all forms of life, from extraterrestrial beings to common household pets. And... it's excellent for dancing"

It's not "your daughters music." So if the retcon was meant to be "oh it was Billie & Thea all along" I don't really get it or buy it. And the princesses are the ones in the band too, as they appear at the end of Bogus Journey. I just thought it was unclear as to what was what (again, if that is what this movie was trying to do? I'm still not sure, so totally happy to say I misunderstood it)

Also, I liked how the aligning of the planets thing came into play at the end. But then that was literally the last shot before it ended so abruptly

3. Trekker4747

It's the notion that there were many interpretations of what Bill and Ted did to save the future or what role they played and Rufus' belief was more focused on B&T specifically and maybe the future people we see in the first movie are just followers of this belief, and the current council is more skeptical on the role B&T play, hence why she's so quick to think to have them killed thinking it's their deaths that spurn the alignment/utopia.

But it's also understandable that based on what we're told in the first movie that people would be upset when this movie sort of goes, "No, no, no. It's actually this." and B&T did play a large role and, really, I think that people playing the same song across all time was... Odd.

Still, in the end, it was a kind of fun movie.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Not sure we watched the same movie, but you do you.

Corran Horn likes this.
  5. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah that just seemed dumb though. Yeah fair enough historians now might argue about what really happened hundred of years ago, but in the future they literally have time machines to go anywhere in space & time I don't see how they couldn't know what really happened to the founders and basis of their civilization.
    And an infinite number of Bill & Ted's can give me whatever instrument they want, I still wouldn't know how to play it :lol:

As I said if others enjoyed it all the way through, awesome. Glad you enjoyed it, just saying why I didn't. Sorry for having a different opinion :shrug:

Tosk likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Should we have a spoiler review thread?

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It was pretty good. The best parts were the interactions with their future selves.

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

This is answered.

9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I know. Got a good laugh with that one. :)

Corran Horn likes this.
  10. Corran Horn

Beginning chyron says "Present Day". The far future is distinctly chyron'd to 2720 A.D. Two years into the future (via dialogue) is labeled 2022 in a chyron.

11. Corran Horn

The daughters are mentioned to be 25 in dialogue. Bogus Journey came out in 1991. Death is mentioned to have done a solo album in 1998.

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I watch it. It was ok. It was a fun enough time, and it had some good moments.

I wish it didn't end exactly like I thought it would the second we learned that Bill & Ted's kids were in it. Also, the ending was really abrupt. But, overall I enjoyed it. Its not amazing or anything, and its not as good as the first movie, but its a decent way to spend 90ish minutes.

13. Turtletrekker

I really want to see what the Preston / Logan family tree looks like after this.

14. Turtletrekker

Well, since @JD started this thread, he can opt to allow spoilers or he can start a new spoiler thread. For that matter, anyone who's seen it can start a new spoiler thread.

15. Trekker4747

I don't remember this specific chyron, but as the girls travel to pick up their past musical figures the dates are labeled as BCE and CE so I'm guessing the future date would have also been CE and not AD. ;)

ETA:

It does say 2720 "AD" which is odd because none of the other current epoch dates use it and the previous epoch dates say "BCE."

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

It would be nice to have a spoiler thread or know that spoilers are allowed here until than. On the ending -

yes it’s stops abruptly. As everything now a days I suspect there will be deleted scenes. Likely a postscript in the present.

I am not seeing the confusion of why Bill and Ted get credit in the future over their daughters. Couple of ways to read it. First of all it’s the distant future. History records where inaccurate. Kelly’s mother admitted that there were multiple interpretations of their role in history. With similar names it’s easy to see why.

But just as likely most of the daughters music knowledge came from their fathers. Their idea of mixing multiple musical genres seemed to be inspired by what their Dads tried to do at the wedding. Also a big theme of the movie is it’s a group effort to unite the world. Bill and Ted are very involved by sharing the musical instruments throughout time. Which was their idea. Still playing with the band at the end. They were the inspirations for actions of others if not the actual leaders. Which often is how historical figures are important

17. Trekker4747

Gee, if only they had a way of going to see what actually took place or were shown to actively go back and interact with past people to get a better grasp of what took place. ;)

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm so used to the TV threads being preview moving to spoilers on release it didn't even occur to me as an issue here until pointed out. Maybe because we haven't had any actual new releases for a while.

19. Trekker4747

I decided to go ahead and buy it (which, yeah I paid a rental and a purchase fee but, meh. I got a good bonus check at work a couple months ago, so.) Watching it again. Funny "Easter Egg" in the opening segment as the girls are catching us up on things we're shown a Billboard list and as they talk about their single falling down the charts I was pausing to look at the other song titles on the list, nothing "real" stuck out to me but I'm not that greatly familiar with music, but the egg in it was "Ziggy Piggy Waiters" none of the other titles stuck out to me as references to things but I'm sure they're there. This not being a DVD and an Amazon pausing it's hard to time it right and then the UI covers much of the screen when paused.

Corran Horn likes this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kinda like have a safe thread for those of us who haven't seen it yet, so I'd like to keep this one spoiler free. If someone who's seen it wants to start a spoiler thread, feel free.