Better Call Saul, the TV series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Apr 9, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Your friend doesn't own a third of your multi-million dollar business and a big stake in its damaged reputation.

Snaploud likes this.
  2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but you could argue that Howard probably owns two thirds of that multi million dollar business (no idea if his parents are alive, or there is another Hamlin lurking around the office somewhere to take the other third, but assuming not), and his time is better spent developing new clients and maintaining the current client base.
    Sitting around with a dumb-ass smirk on your face is a waste of time. At the very least, send a minion to wait for Chuck and arrange a time for Howard to stop by.

3. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Despite his poor treatment of Jimmy, I hope Chuck is able to finally get better. But I'm not counting on it.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

He looks to be on his own fight soon. I thought that--when we saw him at the phone booth--that that would have been the last of him.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

With the proviso that I haven't watched the latest episode yet:

Howard may not be a very good lawyer. It's possible that his success was entirely due to the work of his father and Chuck, and he's still holding out hope that Chuck will come back and save the day.

6. JirinPanthosa

I see no reason to think Howard isn't at least a competent lawyer, just he's more of a businessman/office politician than a lawyer and not as good as Chuck or Kim.

7. JirinPanthosa

Holy crap. That might be the best jump cut in TV history.

Also loved the shot of Night of the Hunter when Jimmy was plotting to turn the old woman's friends against her. (Classic film about a serial killer pretending to be a priest who hears from his cellmate about to be hanged he has money stashed at his home, then goes and marries his wife to try to find the money.)

publiusr likes this.
  8. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I soo saw that crash coming, but I'm glad it wasn't the truck out of nowhere that has become a cliche by now.

9. JirinPanthosa

I like the way they showed it from Kim's perspective with a jump cut instead of showing her drift off and dramatically flip off road.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, that jump cut was phenomenal. I didn't see it coming because my mind was on the binder that didn't have the survey history and how that absence would hurt Kim's meeting.

To jump on the obvious pun, Kim's ambitions and exhaustion has run her off the road. She's an extraordinarily talented lawyer and I fear how this accident is going to ruin her. :(

Slippin' Jimmy is in full force this week and I hate how he turned Irene's friends against her because of his desperate greed. I so wanted Howard to be wrong about Jimmy...but of course he wasn't.

Speaking of Howard, he overplayed his hand against Chuck in his attempt to force Chuck into retirement and now Chuck is acting like a wounded animal trapped in a corner. Things are about to get ugly at HHM.

I'm disappointed, just as I'm sure Nacho was, that Hector didn't suffer from his predestined stroke. He's still a ticking time bomb but it appears that it won't go off quick enough for Nacho to protect his father.

Nice catch! I'm unfamiliar with the film so I completely missed the parallel there.

This week's episode reminds us that the other Hamlin is Howard's father and he doesn't appear to be alive anymore, so it looks like it's just Howard and Chuck.

11. Push The Button

I stopped for a moment during this episode to consider how many BCS characters owe their ultimate demise to a certain high school chemistry teacher, either directly or indirectly. There were quite a few in this episode alone.

As for Kim's car crash, the way the scene was shot, I think we were all expecting it. I was expecting a much worse outcome, however, something that could have been Jimmy's final push over to the dark side. He already has the name, and the startup funds will soon be available to him.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Such a great series. I have to say I don't see anything horrid in what slippin' Jimmy did--law firm gets far less, class action recipients about the same. And they're all friends again. All's well that ends well? :lol: I know, I know.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are all old people dumb?

Or do smart people die younger than dumb people?

Mike is Smart.

...But he's going to get shot by Walt.

Hector is Smart?

...But he's going to get "poisoned" (deprived of necessary medication, same difference) by Nacho, and then be turned into a suicide bomber.

Maybe it's better to be dumb?

Jessie is going to live to be a million.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I thought about that during the office scene with Lydia and Mike. "Huh...Mike is signing both of their fates away and will die by Walt's hand in a few short years..."

15. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This struck me as the funniest thing I've read on this board in a long time! :lol:

16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I must be the only one who didn't see the car crash, coming. I just figured we were seeing some art film type of moment were we were supose to focus on her non verbal emotional reaction to the stress of being late for the meeting. That or she would get a phone call by Jimmy that pisses her off or who knows what.
    Jason

17. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love how both McGill brothers are attacking HHM, without the other one knowing it. It's possible that either one of them alone would be bad, but not terrible for the firm, but both of them at the same time could be devastating. Dealing with just the Sandpiper fallout, Howard could easily follow through on his threat to Jimmy, but to do so at the same time they are fending off Chuck? As EMH said, it's about to get ugly for HHM.

18. JirinPanthosa

Sandpiper is a retirement home, if they are in there it is because they need some help taking care of themselves. You're really surprised 80 year olds in a retirement home aren't mentally sharp enough to consider Jimmy's ulterior motives?

Not to mention that the population of Jimmy's clients is skewed toward the trusting and amenable to persuasion.

Yeah, getting to know these people in BCS makes it feel so much more grim to watch BB.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  19. Push The Button

Part of me wants this to be an alternate timeline. I hated how Mike was bested by Walt the first time around, this time I want him to retire from the underworld and spend time with his family and die of old age.

20. JirinPanthosa

I had a theory the Breaking Bad takes place in the Community darkest timeline, and in the prime universe Mike gets the drop on Walter and makes a call to vacuum cleaner guy, who moves him to Colorado where he becomes a criminology teacher at a community college.