Best studio album by Iron Maiden?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by I am not Spock, Mar 31, 2008.

?

What are your favourite Maiden studio albums?

1. Iron Maiden

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Killers

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. The Number of the Beast

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Piece of Mind

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. Powerslave

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  6. Somewhere in Time

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  7. Seventh Son of A Seventh Son

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  8. No Prayer For The Dying

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Fear of The Dark

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. The X Factor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Virtual XI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Brave New World

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  13. Dance of Death

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. A Matter of Life And Death

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Yeah, I've heard quite a lot that he's a great guy; I just never liked his voice that much.

I think part of it may have been that I sort of burned out on the high-voiced metal singer thing, because everyone from Judas Priest and Scorpion on down was doing it by the time Dickinson joined Iron Maiden -- it came as a great relief to me when singers with lower voices became "cool" again.

2. blueone

blueone Ensign Newbie

My favourites are The Number of the Beast, Powerslave, Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death.

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

You're right. Maiden's greatest strength is also unfortunately their greatest weakness. They can never change their signature sound without being accused of being sell-outs. The fans love the sound and the image that they already have, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 'A Matter of Life and Death' was a good return to form, but it even so had a whiff of 'been there, done that' about it. I still love it, though.

Led Zep could, and did, get away with just about anything. They put reggae and funk songs on their records, for god's sake!

I must apologise, I'm a relative newcomer to Maiden (only got into them about a year ago). Did the band catch any flak in the press, at the time, for releasing heavily synth driven albums (Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son) and daring to experiment?