News Benioff and Weiss Leave Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Campe, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to get into details into my opinions about the end of GoT as this is not the place and I really have better things to do with my day then to write an essay on it. I will suggest I have had my love of the endings of shows that have not been widely appreciated. When it comes to showrunners, they have an impossible task of trying to please everyone while telling the ending of the story they want to tell. It is an unenviable task. If I was a writer, I would want to end the story on my terms, not on that of a legion of fans who have their own opinions and feelings on how things should wrap up. So to bring this back to Star Wars: I do not envy the reaction that JJ Abrams is about to get on Rise of Skywalker. Some portion of fandom is gonna be PISSED OFF.

BillJ and fireproof78 like this.
  2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

When you have Senators of the United States citing Daenerys Targaryen as a role model for women openly, publicly, and on-the-record just days before it was revealed to the world that the character had been turned into a ravimg mad despot and murderer, things have gone far beyond "its just a TV show".

The fact that you don't seem to be able to understand that says a lot about you that isn't very positive.

3. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look, if you *personally* feel that a show or movie is not personally satisfying; you can 1) Turn it off or 2) rave about it on the internet.
    I didn't particularly enjoy TFA; I haven't watched TLJ (yet) and I'm only partway through R1.
    I don't yell and scream on message boards about how JJ Abrams betrayed my childhood, or that he couldn't face angry star wars fans (??) or any of that nonsense.
    He had a job, he did it, he made his studio money.
    Get a life.

Campe likes this.
  4. Campe

People keep forgetting that show business is in fact a business. That JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, Benioff & Weiss and Alex Kurtzman continue to get work is a testament to the fact that backlash only goes so far.

Discuss, absolutely. Get pissed off? Why?

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can we not take this is a personal direction?

6. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I wasn't saying the Backlash wasn't the Only thing that made them Jump Ship.. but was one of the straws on the cameles back..
    Well, in the end, I wish them well, hope they make some good stuff for Netflix..
    Just hope that KK and crew can get a plan together for the next set of movies, and have it be more coherent than this past trilogy.

7. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's kind of idiotic to proclaim a fictional tv character as a Role Model. There are plenty of better real-life examples; such as Carrie Fisher who was thrust into celebrity status when Star Wars became wildly successful.
    Who was raised by parents who divorced after an unhappy marriage. Who, despite her falling into drug abuse was able to turn her life around, became a sort of informal spokeswoman for womens rights (especially actresses), who suffered from bipolar disorder, and used her own illness as a platform to remove the stigma surrounding it.
    Or Gilda Radner, who worked to break stereotypes of women working in comedy.

Or Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who was raised in a working class neighborhood, lost her mother to cancer, and yet managed to graduate law school, become a judge and became the second ever female justice appointed to the Supreme Court.

Masiral, BillJ and Campe like this.
  8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It says that I am a somewhat rational human being that knows the difference between reality and a TV show.

Jedi_Master and Jedman67 like this.
  9. DigificWriter

And now you've added being insulting to being clueless.

Any more holes you want to dig for yourself?
    It really isn't, actually.

10. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Nope. Just whingin.

11. BillJ

You're always insulting people, figured I might as well join the fun.

Jedman67 and Booji like this.
  12. Booji

Wrong. If you didn't pay attention, or refused to, that's your problem. Not the producers. The story made perfect sense.

13. DigificWriter

Accusing hundreds of thousands of people - including, as noted, a US Senator - of not paying attention is not a good look. It's also wrong.

I could try and find every documented instance where David and Dan cited and reinforced the idea of Dany being a hero throughout the course of Seasons 1-7, but it would more than likely be a futile effort and I don't have either the time or the patience.

14. Campe

Guys, come on. Let it go.

BillJ likes this.
  15. BillJ

Then they changed their minds and course. Happens all the time in fiction.

Jedman67 likes this.
  16. Campe

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Booji and BillJ like this.
  17. DigificWriter

You don't "change your minds" in the final 6-episode season of a a series, especially when you were told the ending years earlierin broad strokes by the author of the novels you're adapting.

This "excuse" is BS.

Way to completely misrepresent and misinterpret that quote in a completely inapplicable context.

18. Booji

Except that didn't happen. It was foreshadowed from the first season and reinforced every season after. That's why I was rooting for Dany to get killed since season 3.

19. DigificWriter

This is an objectively wrong statement.

Dany was consistently portrayed as being heroic, and David and Dan repeatedly verbally reinforced her heroism - and cited her actions as heroic - pretty much up until Season 8 when they did a complete 360 degree about-face and devolved her into a raving mad despot and murderer in the course of 2 episodes.

20. Booji

Now that's impressive. She ended up where she started?