Been thinking its time to try Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I have never seen a whole episode of any of the series. Which even than was only once or twice. I never new of it growing up but I know the basic premise. What I did see was hard for me to grasp but I have never made a serious effort to try. I am starting to think I finally should because half my Facebook friends are fans.

A big question I have always had is it really a time travel series? I am a time travel fanatic. But mostly about exploring history. Yet the show seems to be more about fighting aliens. Or am I wrong?

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Yes, it is a time travel series.

When it began, 50 years ago, it was intended to teach children about history, and it did so (Marco Polo, the Aztecs, etc), but if they could go to the past, they could also go to the future. And they typically had better ratings when they showed alien monsters in the future, so they do tend to have their share of them ... but they do still have historical shows, including stories about WW2, Agatha Christie, ancient Venice, etc.

You never really know where you'll find yourself when you step through the doors of the Tardis. Hang on and enjoy the ride.

3. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Except all those episodes are really about the 'aliens'. The history, like the future periods, is just a backdrop.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Traveling in time and fighting aliens is little different than traveling from planet to planet and fighting aliens.

And strictly speaking it's one series. (1963-1989, 96 and 2005-).

But a good place to start would be the first episode of the 2005- run "Rose".

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Indeed, there hasn't been a "pure historical" since The Fifth Doctor's Black Orchid, which is one of my minor beefs with the current run of the show. Don't get me wrong, I love what we do get, but it would be very nice to have a story in vein of such classics as The Aztecs, The Reign of Terror, and Marco Polo.

6. Dick Whitman

That is what I suspected. I might like it for what it really is though.

7. Dick Whitman

I was using the British term for series. Which is the American equviant of season. I think.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Often it's about fighting aliens in different periods of history. Earth is an ideal place for various alien baddies to hide, and some of them have even managed to cause some historical events (such as the Great Fire of London in 1666). Others have involved themselves in various wars throughout Earth history with usually a not very nice agenda in mind.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If you're really interested in the Pure historicals, and have no problem with Black and White TV and the slower pacing of TV shows in that time period, check out William Hartnell's First Doctor Era, about 1/3 of his stories are purely Historical (Though only 4 of his Historical Stories exist complete - The Aztecs, The Romans, and The Gunfighters, plus Reign of Terror is missing 2 episodes, which were recently Animated). Troughton's Second Doctor, had an historical in his second Story, and then they were pretty much discontinued. Although, there are many stories with Aliens/Monsters being fought in historical settings, and many times that Antagonist is messing about with our history.

If you want to get into the Current show, yea, start with Eccelston's first Episode Rose or Matt Smith's first episode The 11th hour (New Show runner, who is still the current Showrunner, and Matt Smith is the current Doctor)

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Ah ok.

It's basic premise is rather simple though.

Short short version: A Mad man and his box.

Short version: An alien with companions travels through time and space in his box the TARDIS fighting injustice and aliens.

Now obvioulsy there is more to it than that but the first series upon it's return starting with "Rose" introduces new audiances to the world of DW. We could say more but that might spoil it for you.

11. Dick Whitman

Involving actual historical events is not necessary. But if they go to 60s, 70s, 80s, etc does it show the fashion and pop culture of those eras. Have fun with that stuff?

12. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say, "yes" it does. Hopefully without revealing too much, "The Idiot's Lantern" has the Doctor appear in 1953 right before Elizabeth's coronation. The Doctor actually styled his hair in a pompadour (sp?) and his companion dons a "poodle skirt" to hopefully blend in a tad better. Part of the plot involves TVs (since that coronation was the first to do so), so we get to see the hardware of the era.

Sincerely,

Bill

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well episodes set in the past from the 2005- era

"The Unqueit Dead" - Britain Vicorian Era 1869

"The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" - Britain WWII (Considered one of the best stories)

"The Girl in The Fireplace" - France 1700's

"The Idiot's Lantern" - Britain 1953

"The Shakespeare Code" - Elizabethan London 1599

"Daleks in Manhatten"/"Evolution of the Daleks" - USA (New York) 1930

"The Fires of Pompeii" - Italy 79AD

"The Unicorn and the Wasp" - Britain 1926

"The Next Doctor" - Britain Christmas 1851

"The Vampires of Venice" - Venice 1580

"Vincent And The Doctor" - France 1890

"The Impossible Astronaut"/"Day of the Moon" - USA 1969

"The Curse of the Blackspot" - 17th Century

"Let's Kill Hitler" - Germany 1938

"A Twon Called Mercy" - USA Wild West Era

"The Angels Take Manhatten" - USA New York 1930's

"The Snowmen" - Britain 1800's

"Cold War" - 1983

"Hide" - Britain 1974

"The Crimson Horror" - Britain 1893

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Plus Tooth and Claw (19th century Scotland) and Victory of the Daleks (WW2) :)

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You're right I missed two.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I missed some too, there's the Doctor the Widow and the Wardrobe (or whatever it's title was!) as well :lol:

17. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you like history, and have no problems with black and white productions, just try The season one story The Aztecs. Low-key, but some great SF debate on how inevitable the course of history actually is. Then you can watch all the alien invasions that come later....

18. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Don't worry that's a pretty forgettable episode anyway. ;)

Yeah, it would be a refreshing change to have a story set in the past (or even future) with no alien/robot involvement.

19. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Start with Rose. If you want to get 'into' it, a contemporary starting point is the best one - then go back through the earlier eras.

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd suggest starting with The Eleventh Hour if somebody had to start with New Who. If not, do it right and start with An Unearthly Child :).