Spoilers Batwoman - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jan 26, 2019.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Batwoman
    Season 1 - Episode 9 - "Crisis on Infinite Earths - Part 2"

Kate/BW: BW dies on Earth 99, and she will likely take that knowledge back to her Gotham, but it should also make her a bit paranoid--probably not confiding in anyone, but I would not want that coloring her show--and its well-established plots--from this point forward.

...but Kara's idea of saving Beth is so typically naïve of her, just as she is about Lena.

Luke: Funny--Kara finds Luke cute, which makes Kate uncomfortable.

Wayne: The exoskeleton is a nod to the legendary miniseries Kingdom Come, where the aged Wayne / Batman needed a permanent suit for stability. The difference here is that killing Earth-99's Superman put him in that suit.

Yes, they are trying to paint the disillusioned, bitter Wayne who needs to be inspired to atone for his "crimes" by Kate, but I was pleased he had his own understanding of what an alien threat with superpowers meant. It is essentially a replay of Wayne's beliefs seen in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, only this time, there was no intervention of hope.

What about Kate killing Wayne? How is she a paragon of anything after murdering him? What did that world's Luke say or do about it?

SM/Lois/SM-II: Earth 96 -
    "Caped Wonder Stun City"--a Daily Planet headline from Superman the Movie (1978).

Superman vs Superman....if only the FX were not so crappy.

Oliver: Using one of the Lazarus Pits on him was a novel idea, if for no other reason than to see if he returns with any insight about what is coming and who will end up on the dead side--not yet, in any case.

Lex: With Lex using the Book of Destiny to kill all Supermen, and the Monitor still insisting everyone has a part to play, I can't help thinking the showrunners will have a certain sister break her steady character path to stop her brother. If not that, then Lex himself will serve the same purpose as the younger Luthor from the comic.

NOTES: Using Williams' "Can You Read My Mind" was too much of a trip down memory lane.
    For a 44 minute episode, only 20 minutes of it actually moved the plot in any way. The rest was filler (fan service), and this is "two hours" in....

GRADE: C.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I haven't gotten around to this show yet, but the IMDB ratings are just atrocious (like worst show of all time level). Is it really THAT bad or is it just the usual MRAs acting up?

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It's the MRAs. They can't handle the notion of a female, Jewish, lesbian superhero. It doesn't fit in with their worldview.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's actually one of the better DCW shows.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Including one of the best performances in the whole franchise.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Just not the best theme music.

7. Turtletrekker

I actually like the theme music. :shrug:

8. crookeddy

The show is 3.3/10 on IMDB. That's SUPER SUPER low for a TV show. I've never seen anything even close.

9. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I'd look at IMDB ratings as a take on quality even less than ratings at Rotten Tomatoes.

10. crookeddy

And what then, Mr. expert, do you use as a take on quality?

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, oh, I can answer that: Whether I think it's a quality show. :)

Anyway, non-scientific opt-in review-bombable metrics don't mean a thing, and The CW isn't going to be fooled by them.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

If the people voting on the quality of the shows and movies are the same people who populated the IMDB message boards then I don't put much faith in them. Those boards were a cesspool.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  13. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'm still having fun watching this series.

JanewayRulz! and Turtletrekker like this.
  14. Turtletrekker

That's the result of review bombing by people with agendas. Take the Captain Marvel movie for example, it had more negative reviews, (like thousands) before the movie had even opened than any other MCU movie had gotten overall the entire time they had been reviewable.

Greg Cox likes this.
  15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The days of great and/or memorable TV theme music are long gone. The Walking Dead 's main theme was--probably--the last time a truly memorable (and unique) theme was created for a TV series, and that's now a decade old.

16. crookeddy

Yet Captain Marvel ended up with a decent score while Batwoman did not...

17. crookeddy

His Dark Materials has a pretty legit theme...

18. Turtletrekker

Because the reviews that were not considered legitimate were removed.

Greg Cox likes this.
  19. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wondering if the series' wordmark is a custom design or if the font's been recognized by anyone yet.

20. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I quit reading those boards because I was afraid of getting pregnant with some kind of hybrid Klingon/xenomorph/space lobster. And I'm a guy.:crazy:

Turtletrekker likes this.