Spoilers Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Mar 17, 2016.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.9%
  2. A

10.3%
  3. A-

10.3%
  4. B+

14.3%
  5. B

11.6%
  6. B-

5.8%
  7. C+

7.6%
  8. C

10.3%
  9. C-

6.3%
  10. D+

6.7%
  11. D

5.4%
  12. D-

3.6%
  13. F

3.1%
  1. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

As has been explained repeatedly to you in multiple threads, no one at all has a problem if you have misgivings about anything. It.is.your.prerogative. What people do have a problem is condemning something with little information with a refusal to have an open mind, and then getting defensive about it. Christopher at least is willing to watch the movie, despite not being sure of if he will like it.

I never seen Twilight, and I know I'd hate it. The difference is if you called me out on my pre-judgement of the series, I would have little to defend until I had at least seen it. So feel however you want, but don't be so thin-skinned when people call you out on it.

But go on, continue with the "elite club" nonsense while playing the victim.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

ComicsAlliance gives the movie a 4/10 rating, and the specifics it gives are very disheartening to me:

http://comicsalliance.com/batman-v-superman-review/
    So... not rubber bullets? Ugh.

And it sounds like Snyder took the wrong lessons from the critiques of MoS's climax. Instead of having heroes actually learn to care about protecting civilians, he still leaves civilians completely out of the equation and just throws in a bit more lip service to excuse it.

The one encouraging thing is that, while the general reviewers are lukewarm on Gal Gadot, the comics-oriented reviewers seem to be very positive about Wonder Woman in this film, and what it portends for her own solo film.

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I've just seen it and I can fairly say a lot of people are going to hate the ending...

4. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

^^ There's something in that review that doesn't surprise me.

That Bruce seems jealous of Superman's powers. I kind of got that impression and besides, how could he not be?

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, I really liked it. My one big complaint about the movie was the same complaint mentioned in that ComicsAlliance review. But they've never really gotten that part about Batman right in cinematic adaptations. I was hoping they would this time around but I wasn't surprised that they didn't. That one disappointment aside, though, I thought Ben Affleck was fantastic as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Henry Cavill was excellent again; but I was also a big fan of his performance in Man of Steel. I feel like Gal Gadot is the real standout here, though. Wonder Woman was amazing, and I'm super jazzed for her solo movie next year.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He could not be by being a grownup, and by being a crimefighter focused above all else on the goal of saving lives.

Again referring to ComicsAlliance:

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-66-superman-batman-and-the-worlds-finest-friendshi/
    So portraying Batman as someone who resents Superman for being powerful, rather than recognizing him as an invaluable ally in the endless war on crime, is totally misrepresenting who Batman is. It's reducing him to an egotistical child in order to manufacture a gratuitous conflict.

Then again, the latter part of Chris Sims's argument above is predicated on Superman being the character he usually is, the one who's undeniably good and that a trained observer like Batman could easily recognize as such. So maybe it doesn't quite apply to a Superman who made his debut as destructively as MoS's Kal-El did and who, judging from the reviews I've seen, is still getting people killed as collateral damage in his "heroic" acts. Although that just means it comes down to a choice between Batman being out of character and/or incompetent on the one hand, and Superman being out of character and/or incompetent on the other.

I thought Cavill was great as Superman; I just regretted that he didn't get to play a script that served the Superman character well. I suppose that when/if I do see this movie, I'll have to try to focus on the performances and not dwell too much on the story.

That's good to hear. That movie sounds a lot more promising.

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

All this talk is killing my vibe (insert Cisco Ramon joke + roll on snare). I think I may have to avoid the internet till Thursday when I see the movie.

Although, I will laugh if MOS ends up with a higher rating on RT, than BvS. Since I am one for levity in any situation. Hehehe

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The common criticisms seems to be that it's too dark, serious and lacking in fun. And also that the story is too cluttered and the character motivations don't always make sense.

And some of those may even be true to some extent, but I still think they're reacting MUCH more harshly to those things simply because it's Snyder and they just don't like his style at all.

Usually I tend to agree with the general critical consensus on a movie and side more with the critics over the fans, but MOS was definitely an exception to that and I have a feeling this one will be as well.

eyeresist likes this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hearing you summation of the complaints is kind of relief for me. I'm not bothered by dark and serious, and while I prefer fun movies, I can still like movies that aren't. Unclear character motivations don't bother me too much if the rest of the story is interesting.
    EDIT: It's at 49 on Metacritic right now, with 3 positive reviews, 14 mixed reviews and no negative. My main concern is number of negative reviews, and the 0 makes me much more confident that I'll like the movie. Hell, I like the Star Wars prequels, and Matrix and Pirates of the Carribean sequels, and I don't know for sure, but I don't I doubt they got this good of reviews.

A few more quotes of Metacritics page:
    Metacritic gives every review a score of 0-100, with each being categorized as mixed, negative, or good.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  10. M.A.C.O.

Did anyone see the review where the author complained that there were "too many Oscar winners" in the film?

Like seriously, that is something to castigate a movie for?
    Personal snobberies and skewed expectations are one thing, but this just sounds ridiculous.

eyeresist likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How can that be a bad thing? Most movies are lucky to get one, but if you can multiple that's great. I don't respect the Oscars as much as I use to, but it's still a pretty prestigious thing in the industry.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Was that the basis of his complaint? Not that I don't believe you guys, but I'd like to think there was a little context to that quote so it doesn't sounds dumb.

13. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

About the Oscar thing, I found this. The review is a bit spoilery but the quote below is safe if you've already seen the trailers.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like this film is going to be "rotten" on the scale. I'm still going to go watch it, but apparently I shouldn't be expecting much at this point.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Oh I'm definitely going to see this. This movie is a "event" no matter how you look at it. But yeah, based on the reviews and a few of my Facebook friends who have already seen it, I'll lower my expectations a tad.

I do lean more towards Marvel, but you know what? I want DC to get their extended universe off the ground, I think they'll have some interesting stories to tell too.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spoiler in the Rolling Stone review as to how Batman can challenge Superman, reader beware.

17. M.A.C.O.

MOS and AoU had over 250 reviews each, I recall. While BvS has something like 57 atm. There is definitely room for it to climb, but I think this will be a film that the audience enjoys more than the critics.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Agreed on all points. No matter what I'm still looking forward to Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad.

19. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I've read some of those negative reviews and I really think that there's a whole lot of negative confirmation bias going on here because this is by no means a bad film.

It's perfectly fine if people don't like this film, there's no accounting for taste, however the things they are writing to support their view are absolute bullshit from a purely objective standpoint, so I'll just try to dispel a few most common complaints here.

SPOILER WARNING!
    I'll avoid plot spoilers beyond what you've already seen in the trailers, but there will be a description of the plot and character arcs in general terms, so if you really want to go in fresh don't read beyond this point.

So...

"no character growth"

All three characters have arcs that they complete.
    Batman starts form an angry, pessimistic, resigned individual and ends up as a hopeful, optimistic, newly determined guy.
    Superman's arc in Man of Steel was him finding his place in the world, it continues here to him dealing with the world's reaction to him.
    Wonder Woman starts withdrawn from the world and ends up rejoining it.

"incoherent plot"

The plot of the movie is fairly straightforward, Lex sees Superman as a threat to humanity and seeks to destroy him by manipulating events so that both the world and Batman develop a negative and doubting view of Superman.
    This one I can somewhat understand because there is a lot of stuff to set up the Justice League movies going on on the side, and I can see how people who are unfamiliar with DC lore might see it as "tacked on", but I found it to be very organically integrated.

"lacks subtlety"

This is the one I have to most vehemently disagree with.
    And this I think is where Marvel films are the most to blame because they have conditioned people to expect the superhero films to be entirely straightforward and literal. Even the really good Marvel films like Winter Soldier are completely on the nose about what they're doing. While there are some very unsubtle things that people have focused on, there is a whole lot of subtle stuff going on here that I see people overlook or not give enough credit to.

"depressing tone"

People seem to confuse serious with depressing.
    I think Terrio's comparison to Empire Strikes Back was apt. Yes, bad stuff happens, but at the end characters are not "depressed" they're hopeful and determined.

"no fun"/"humorless"

The movie is serious, but it's not humorless.
    There are no laugh out loud clown moments in this film, but there is humor. Alfred being snarky to Bruce all the time probably being the most obvious example, though others have humorous lines throughout the film which are subtle and don't jump out. The fact that people find it humorless if it doesn't have a giant "laugh now this is joke!" sign says more about them than the movie...

"CGI orgy"

What you see in the trailers is seriously pretty much it.
    The Doomsday fight does not have that much destruction, the landscape you see in the trailers where they fight is a preexisting condition as it takes place in a condemned, abandoned section of the city, there's no new citywide destruction scenes.
    That whole fight has less CGI and feels shorter than the Hulk v Iron Man fight in Age of Ultron and the fact that people have taken an exception to this one kinda speaks to the negative bias that greeted this film out of the gate.

Anyways, I'd urge people to go into it with an open mind.
    The cinematography and music are worth it even if you end up disliking everything else...

Set Harth, Karzak, Tyberius and 3 others like this.