Spoilers Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Mar 17, 2016.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.9%
  2. A

10.3%
  3. A-

10.3%
  4. B+

14.3%
  5. B

11.6%
  6. B-

5.8%
  7. C+

7.6%
  8. C

10.3%
  9. C-

6.3%
  10. D+

6.7%
  11. D

5.4%
  12. D-

3.6%
  13. F

3.1%
  1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I just rewatched this for the first time. It was much more enjoyable for me the second time. I think that most of my issues had to do with "expectations" as to how the movie should have been. The cuts and editing didn't seem so disjointed. That said, the movie didn't need that scene of all the other heroes that just dragged down the story. I also realized this time that Superman knows who Batman is and when he tell Batman that Martha is in trouble, he uses her name because he knows that will have an affect on Bruce Wayne.

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can only speak for myself, but I noticed a lot of the symbolism. It was just badly done.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Snyder doesn't get credit for the allegory and symbolism because it's done in such a blatant and banal way...and that stuff doesn't work if the story isn't good to begin with.

4. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally got around to seeing this (theatrical edition). Thought it was rather good! Very long though - I'm sure slightly better editing might have helped the movie a little bit.

Rated it B+

5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Though longer, the extended cut improves upon the editing (not always the case but it's clear the longer cut is what the director intended as his preferred version).

I gave the theatrical a B+ as well but upped it to an A with the longer cut.

Trek Survivor likes this.
  6. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Is this a fact or merely your opinion?

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It can be both. ;)

8. LJones41

Oh, I see. I suspect it must be an opinion.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was one of the biggest fans and defenders of Suicide Squad when it first came out, but even I can't say that it was better or "more impressive" than Civil War. As enjoyable as I found it, even I'll admit that SS had a lot of issues that Civil War definitely didn't.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Thing about Suicide Squad is....even in the comics it was hard to really justify the team's existence. They've never been able to hold onto a book for very long.

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Certainly the line up of this Suicide Squad seems to be of dubious value. I mean, Diablo & Enchantress have incredible mystical powers, so trying to weaponize them makes sense. Deadshot, as an expert marksman of near superhuman accuracy, makes sense. Killer Croc is big & ugly, so was bound to get pigeonholed as the muscle of the group. Captain Boomerang seems to only be on this team because Waller is impressed by the fact that the Flash didn't kill him (which may speak more to the Flash's morality than to Boomerang's fighting prowess). Harley Quinn, however flexible & fearless, is also crazy and bound to draw out the Joker, making her more of a liability than an asset. Slipknot's usefulness sounds extremely situational but we'll never really know since they killed him so early on.

Interesting take. I didn't think about it in quite that way before. Still seems like the intent could have been clearer.

Like the endless Superman=Jesus stuff that keeps getting dusted off with each subsequent film incarnation.

It can't be that obvious. I once had a substitute high school teacher insist that it was an allegory for Nazi Germany, not Soviet Russia.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind so much but they keep equating him to the wrong biblical saviour. He's not Christ, he's Moses. ;)

13. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I couldn't let that go without this :):

14. LJones41

Who is he supposed to be leading into the Promise Land?

15. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Bottle city of Kandor? ;)

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Earthlings, apparently.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Metaphorically speaking, the entire human race and he's to do it mostly by example. Just ask Jor El.
    It's not used as often these days, but for years he was known as "The Man of Tomorrow" just as much as "The Man of Steel".

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show them the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you...my only son."

20. LJones41

Uh huh.