• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Bashir: Most underrated character growth in DS9?

Bashir was probably my favorite character on DS9. Though I enjoyed more characters. He was definitely cringe in the beginning. So, it was not love at first site. The only thing I liked from the beginning was his friendship with Garak. I was probably the only one that didn't think his reveal as genetically enhanced ruined the character. In the beginning I did not like too much then the idea grew on me. Do I think that Bashirs progression is underrated? Well, the character was certainly not taking the character for granted. As you said he had a long character arc transforming him to what we get in the end. The fans maybe.
 
I can't imagine S31 trying to recruit Doctor Crusher, but having an(other) agent on the E would have been a coup.
Nor Garak assuming Crusher was exactly who he needed as a conduit. Now Wesley on the other hand…but I doubt DS9 was going to bring both Gates and WHHHHill WHHHHeaton on board as a package deal
 
You use that word, underrated.

I don’t think it means, what you think
it means ;)

Jake, Nog, Rom and conceivably Quark fit the “underrated” character growth statement
 
Nor Garak assuming Crusher was exactly who he needed as a conduit. Now Wesley on the other hand…but I doubt DS9 was going to bring both Gates and WHHHHill WHHHHeaton on board as a package deal
Is there any way Garak and Wesley interacting in the same way Garak did with Julian wouldn't come off as creepy? Heh.

"Oh, Mister Crusher, I have such wonderful things to teach you."
 
  • Like
Reactions: kkt
Is there any way Garak and Wesley interacting in the same way Garak did with Julian wouldn't come off as creepy? Heh.

"Oh, Mister Crusher, I have such wonderful things to teach you."
We are talking post-First Duty Wesley though. Assuming no Journey’s End with The Traveller
 
Last edited:
Amen. I hate, hate, HATE the genetic engineering retcon. I think it verged on completely ruining the character.
I disagree... I think that Julian was foundering as a character, so the makers of DS9 gave him some new material: being genetically enhanced, and later being recruited by S31.

Compare that with Harry Kim: his character was foundering, and the showrunners demanded that they let him continue to fo so, resulting in a character who would be mostly forgotten if not for his incredibly stupid lack of promotion.
 
Last edited:
Strangely how his missing launch dates with Garak made him look depressed all the time. He did matured thru the seasons, this much is certain. I think he felt more real oddily enough *after* "Dr. Bashir, I presume?*. But before that he was so... annoying but sweet full-of-enthusiasm chap.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kkt
Prior to Dr. Basheir I Presume, I really liked his character growth. They made him genetically enhanced and while he was still a good character, it kind of got a little more smug and arrogant. Not Season 1 levels, but it did come close some times.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top