Bar and Grill 4: The Conversation Pit

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Orac Zen, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Cardassians are going to take back the station. That must be why there is no one in the bar. I better get out of here, too. :)

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking about this thread lately, and since I have some exciting news, I figured now as a good time to see if this thread can be brought back to life somehow. Anyway, I'm excited for tonight. I've never done this before but if all goes well, I will be able to do it tonight. I'm going to see Star Trek tonight (Second time), but this time it will hopefully be in IMAX. I've never seen a movie in IMAX before, and since it's Star Trek I'm just really psyched for it.

So what's new in the life of fellow Niner fans.

BTW, I think Orec Zen will have the record for longest running Bar & Grill thread. Almost going on 3 years. ;)

3. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

IMAX is pretty cool, I can only imagine how Trek would like on that screen. Too bad the local IMAX isn't playing it. :borg:

Not a whole lot for me, though I did just buy a nice little netbook. Really small, I can carry it in one hand... ;)

Pretty good for someone who doesn't even like this show. :p

4. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Hey guys, how's it going? ;)

I've only been to an IMAX theatre once, the one in Victoria, B.C., where a saw a documentary about the ISS. It was definitely a very cool experience. :D

And Steven, that netbook looks cool. I like the colour. I'm sick of all the plain grey/black laptops/netbooks out there.

So not much is going on in my life. I did get a new bike (bicycle, not motorcycle) about a month ago. It's a special edition of the Focus Blue Ridge bike with Shimano Deore all round. I haven't had a bike for like ten years, so it's been fun going on short trips (10 to 20 miles at a time) around here. I'm slowly extending my range, so hopefully I'll be able to go on slightly longer trips (40 miles or so) soon.

That's about it really. My pollen allergies have been annoying the snot (pun intended) out of me lately though. Yay for Claritine.

Anyway, tomalak, thanks for resurrecting this thread! :)

5. tomalak301

You know, I'm all excited about going to an IMAX showing only to come home and find out it wasn't really an IMAX showing. I went to an AMC theater and the screen was smaller than what I expected IMAX to be. Still despite that, the sound and picture quality were absolutely great, but I come home and read something about this (From one of the actors from Parks & Recreation no less) and the comments have been having the people up in arms about being ripped off.

Well, maybe I'm just a sheep or something because I don't feel I was ripped off. I paid 11.75 to the ticket, and got an outstanding picture quality and sound. I guess my really wanting to see Star Trek again fooled me to believe it really was IMAX but I felt I was donating to the Star Trek cause to get this movie further up the top box office charts list. It was an outstanding experiance and while the screen wasn't large, I was psyched to see the movie again and it was more awesome than the first. If that makes me a "fool me once..." sheep, than baaaa! ;)

I probably won't be seeing "IMAX" movies at that place in the future though. I still think if theaters haven't moved to digital and louder sound for regular movies yet even when George Lucus 10 years ago was pounding the industry to advance thier technology, than they never will unfortunately. What IMAX (At least from my experiance today) is considered should have been the norm about 8 or 9 years ago.

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Was it one of those "IMAX lite" theatres where they just remove a couple of the front rows and move the screen a little closer?

Nice to hear you had a good time though. :)

7. tomalak301

Yeah, and the screen was a little bigger than normal. Should I be pissed?

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ I don't know... I think it depends on how much the ticket costs compared to a normal theatre ticket. If it's only a couple of bucks extra, I wouldn't sweat it. I mean, you do get a slightly bigger screen and an upgraded sound system.

It's definitely nowhere close to being as awesome as an actual IMAX theatre though.

9. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Yep, I'm finding it pretty cool. The keyboard is really small, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. In fact, I'm on it right now instead of working on my main computer (the one I built back in January) that is only 5 feet away. :p

I'm just not sure what to call it... something other than "Acer-some random string of numbers and letters."

10. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ You could just refer to it as your netbook. I've been thinking of getting a netbook for a while now, but I just keep coming back to the same conclusion, which is that I don't actually need one. If I need to check something online when I'm out and about I can use either my iPod Touch (if WiFi is available) or my cell phone. And I always use my desktop at home. So yeah, while it would be a cool toy to have, I don't really need it. ;)

Anyway, I finally got around to seeing Star Trek today. I won't go into spoiler territory, but I really enjoyed the movie. :)