Bajoran Spirituality

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Stroudarian, Dec 11, 2017.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

We had Apollo in TOS, a being claiming to be "God" in TFF, most beings in ST that claim godlike powers are simply more advanced species.

To borrow a quote from Arthur C Clarke

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Betelnut likes this.
  2. The Were-Behr

The Were-Behr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Monoculturalism is really a Star Trek thing, no really specific to Bajor.

WarpTenLizard and Balok like this.
  3. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Commander Red Shirt

Agreed, but I guess it's more.... blatant with Bajorans? Maybe because we hear so much about their beliefs.

I feel it's a missed opportunity because there must be many different ways the Bajorans could have interpreted those orbs and their purpose. And even if one religion rules the government, it's still a planet, there's no way they can stamp out every other belief system.

4. The Were-Behr

The Were-Behr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure it's any better or worse for the Bajorans. Across seven hundred episodes, very little cultural diversity was shown among the Vulcans (three major and one recurring character) or Klingons (two major and five recurring characters). ENT touched upon differences of opinion on the meaning of their system of thought, but largely sticking to Vulcans as living lives based on logic (Sybok being an outsiders rather than a variant of Vulcan life).

If Bajorans look particularly monocultural, it might be because two recurring characters were clergy: Winn and Bareil. The studio's prohibition against deep delves into Bajoran politics probably worked against creating more diversity than they may have wanted.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  5. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Commander Red Shirt

Well, there is a DS9 episode where Worf offhandedly mentions that Grilka is "from the (something-or-other) continent; it's a custom among her people...." I wish there was more of that sprinkled around the various species of Star Trek, to make these planets seem more like *planets.*