Babylon 5

I just finished the episode where the Teeps all gather around to watch/experience the Lyta/Byron bone-sesh. Uh...huh.

Also, I don't know if this is a "hot take" but I kind of hated "Day of the Dead"? Most of it seemed surface level, and I like Penn & Teller but Rebo and Zooty can eff off. They were much better left off-screen.

I think Byron also suffers because it was essentially Robin Atkin Downes' first major role as an actor. He was terribly inexperienced and didn't have the skills at the time to deliver Straczynski's dialogue, which--let's be honest, here--could be ham-fisted on a good day.
It doesn't help that he's paired with Patricia Tallman. She's fine, but...prone to "facial theatrics".

Let's not pretend that the B5 cast was filled with Emmy-worthy performers.
Certainly not. But with all due respect to Tallman, she was far from their strongest performer. And that's all my point was.

Last edited:
I think it felt like a weird progression, in that he originally gains facial hair because he's been imprisoned, but after he's been released he...decides to keep it?

Though the short story that continued the Marcus and Ivanova story made Marcus seem kind of crappy in his own way. I'm happy I don't need to consider it 'official'.

If long hair and an accent is all it takes to remind someone of someone else, that really is superficial...which is to say, those are about the only ways I'd say Byron comes off as being similar to Marcus.

OTOH, if Marcus had stuck around, it could have been interesting to see him sympathizing with the Telepaths' plight. But I liked that Lyta got this story given that she had arguably been mistreated by everyone else whom she'd done so much for (that I don't like the person she became doesn't mean I'm unsympathetic).
Wasn't there also a progressing storyline that would have revealed Ivonova as a telepath? Her mom was one that was severely repressed, and became suicidal because of the drugs.

I would imagine Susan's story line would have her "come out" as a telepath, and be sympathetic due to her mom's situation.

There could have also been some bonding with Lyta they would have done -- have Susan respect Psi-Corps, or at leats Lyta, due to the situation

Wasn't there also a progressing storyline that would have revealed Ivonova as a telepath?
They did reveal that she had latent abilities in the show.

I think it felt like a weird progression, in that he originally gains facial hair because he's been imprisoned, but after he's been released he...decides to keep it?
But only partially. He soon switches to a Van Dyke. I personally thought he looked much better with the full beard. Plus he looks like he's dying his hair or something in season five? It looks slightly off but I haven't compared directly.

But I liked that Lyta got this story given that she had arguably been mistreated by everyone else whom she'd done so much for
Although in the end she doesn't too much except stand next to Byron a lot.

The watch order I used had Day of the Dead too early, darn it. I much prefer the order that puts it after The Ragged Edge. Oh well.

Although in the end she doesn't too much except stand next to Byron a lot.

And ultimately betray his ideals, which is part of what annoyed me so much about her character development in S5. It made total sense in context...I'm not annoyed with the writing or anything...I just wanted better from her.

The mere inclusion of Neil Gaiman automatically elevates it to that level.

Also, I don't know if this is a "hot take" but I kind of hated "Day of the Dead"? Most of it seemed surface level, and I like Penn & Teller but Rebo and Zooty can eff off. They were much better left off-screen.

I didn't much care for "Day of the Dead," because it's a purely fantasy episode in a science fiction series. Not just the ghosts, but also the idea that Rebo and Zooty are funny. I bought the trade paperback reprint of Gaiman's script when it was published and was surprised to see that some painful and awkward dialogue that I'd assumed was contributed by JMS was actually in Gaiman's version. Well, it can't all be Sandman.

Well, I finished season five. It wasn't as bad as I had half-remembered, but...y'know. Plenty of good stuff within, but it's in fits and starts, it never really gets rolling smoothly. (Though to be honest, B5 was very often a show that kind of lurched forward, then stalled, then lurched again.)

Still, I'm grateful that they got to do season five, even if it's not everything it could have been. If nothing else, we got a lot more goodbyes than we would have had without it.

Well, I finished season five. It wasn't as bad as I had half-remembered, but...y'know. Plenty of good stuff within, but it's in fits and starts, it never really gets rolling smoothly. (Though to be honest, B5 was very often a show that kind of lurched forward, then stalled, then lurched again.)

Still, I'm grateful that they got to do season five, even if it's not everything it could have been. If nothing else, we got a lot more goodbyes than we would have had without it.
Some of it probably having to do with changing production companies (PTEN) at the end of season 4, then getting a reprieve when they were picked up (by TNT) for season 5 at the last moment. I know I have read the shadow war was originally supposed to be stretched over both season 4 and 5.

The Shadow War originally would've covered season four with the Earth Civil War covering season five. "Sleeping in Light" was already produced for season four (when it was originally believed to be the last season) but then held back for season five.

Some of it probably having to do with changing production companies (PTEN) at the end of season 4, then getting a reprieve when they were picked up (by TNT) for season 5 at the last moment. I know I have read the shadow war was originally supposed to be stretched over both season 4 and 5.
Not quite. The Shadow War still would have wrapped up early in season 4. The season 4 cliffhanger would have been Intersections in Real Time. The civil war arc would have lasted 4 or 5 episodes into season 5. JMS speaks about this in volume 8 of the script books.

I knew the original pacing and order was changed, but forgot the actual details. Just trying to say one of the reasons why the show was: ... in fits and starts, it never really gets rolling smoothly. (Though to be honest, B5 was very often a show that kind of lurched forward, then stalled, then lurched again.)

Last edited:
Back