Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kail, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Wow… I never knew they made Star Fury models. Might have to look for one, although I’m sure they’re hard to find and pricey.

Cheers,
    -CM-

2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

As Forbin says, that particular one was 3D printed. There was an official Starfury kit in 1/72 scale, which is not beloved in terms of quality. There was also an official B5 station model, which I think was a bit worse. I'd kind of like to take a second bite at that one, myself. There are only a handful of pieces and missing decals that could be replaced with more finely-detailed alternates that would improve it (I've seen some photo-etch details, which would be great for the too-thick solar panels, but I'm thinking of the neck where, on the kit, the Cobra Bays are molded into one thick blob, and the forward end of the docking bay, which despite being the size of a coin could probably support some fine detail). Same with doing a conversion to make Babylon 4, which I don't think I've ever seen done.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Image not working here

4. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love how it's wider than it's Fore to Aft Length.

Truly a 3D 0-G Space Manuevering & Flight Optimized design.

publiusr likes this.
  5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The scale of sci-fi small craft is a little funny c considering how much it depends, at least on TV, on whether they’re building the full thing in real life or not. BSG’s Vipers and Raptors, SGA’s Puddle Jumpers, and most Trek shuttles are barely bigger than the people inside them, and look tiny compared to real aircraft, while things like the Starfury and Runabout are a lot larger.

Star Wars throws off the average, but those are movies, so they have more money to throw around, and don’t need to anticipate moving their life-sized spacecraft to different sets and locations ten times a year for five years like a TV show does. They can build one full-sized Millennium Falcon and then remake the set around it if they have to.

7. Gingerbread Demon

That lightning is almost as wide...... The scale here really impresses me how big she is.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not my photo.

That's Forbin's photo that was I suspect geolocked for the two of us in the southern hemisphere, which you complained about up-thread, so I did something about it. You're welcome.

In future, you push the reply button, and then the "bb code edit" button, which will reveal the broken url, and you chase that down to the source, or you can identify improper bb code, and fix it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  9. Gingerbread Demon

OK...... I'll do that next time oops thinking it was your photo

10. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I think the Starfury's comparable to the X-Wing and SA-43 Hammerhead, and the F-302's a little bit longer and Federation attack fighter dwarfs them all. The Starfury is 9.56 metres and apparently that includes the rear jet foils, which I'm guessing are those fins on the back.

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

That one is by Alain Rivard. He's on facebook, and his STLs are available at CG Trader. I think he also sells printed kits. It. Is. Amazing.
    http://www.inpayne.com/models/scifi/starfury48.html

12. Forbin

It's because my host is GoDaddy, which is "unsecured," and TrekBBS won't always link to an unsecyred site. Aggrevating. :(

Guy Gardener likes this.
  13. Timby

Timby The stoicism of the true warrior Administrator

In fairness, anyone running a website without an SSL certificate in 2024 is, well, asking for trouble, and most Web browsers will throw a warning asking users if they intend to proceed if a site says it's running unsecured.

ATimson and CorporalCaptain like this.
  14. Forbin

Yeah, even my upload program asks first. But it's kinda odd that GoDaddy is unsecured when it's such a big, popular host.