Babylon 5 - I'm finally going to do it

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Would there be a problem if we moved the running review to a new thread? This one is of such length it might be cumbersome for a new participant to read through and catch up. We can link to this thread for reference. However, if there's no need to start a new one, that's fine by me.

It's been enjoyable in many ways to see new fans and to mine old ground for new insights.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Got back into B5 tonight and watched Dust to Dust and Exogenesis. I've said it before how awesome it is to watch the series a second time and really finding more meaning to the layers being built, and I think one of the perfect examples was G'Kar's revelation. First time I saw that scene, I actually thought the editing was off because here was G'Kar going through Mollari's mind, and then all of a sudden there is Kosh standing there interfering with it all. This was such a significant episodes in G'Kar's arc, since it starts his book and it really points him in a much different direction, but it's so awesome to see this development and what it ended up meaning. I do have a question though. We saw G'Kar's father, and G'Quan (As Kosh), but who was the middle Narn we saw? One thing I'm trying to do is to not try to miss significant characters (Like the guy who was with Sheridan in All Alone in the Night becoming the new B5 ambassador).

As for Exogenesis, I think the only thing this episode did was make me really love Marcus more than I already did. Now is back to the three parter, and the series changing episodes. One night it's Look at the Princess, another night it's Messages from Earth, Point of No Return, and Severed Dreams. What an awesome year this has been.

3. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

The middle figure was G'Quan - the prophet. A real historical Narn figure.
    The angelic figure was called G'Lan - that was Kosh. (I think the Narn referred to the angelic figure in the season 2 finale as that)

(Of course all 3 were projections of Kosh) :)

4. tomalak301

Watched the Succeding from earth storyline (Messages from Earth, Point of No Return, and Severed Dreams) again tonight. This is something that TV on DVD was born for. You really can't appreciate it fully unless you watch them back to back to back. As for which one is better Severed Dreams or The Long Twilight Struggle, both are awesome episodes, but I think I slightly (And I mean ever so slight) give the nod to TLTS. However, both Sheridan and Delenn were really badasses in this episode, which is always fun.

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

You're watching Farscape too?

6. tomalak301

Yeah. Currently in the second season and am at Beware of Dog, and Won't Get Fooled again.

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Me too actually, just finished "Season of Death".

8. tomalak301

Yeah, I'm probably going to put B5 on hold again and continue watching Season 2 of Farscape. Wanted to get done with the two 3 parters from the respective shows this week though, so I figure with B5 it's a good breaking point.

9. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You should watch "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" before taking a break; it's a good follow-up to the whole secession arc.

10. tomalak301

I was thinking about that. COLAD is where they get the Army of Light uniforms so one could say it was a nice epilogue.

11. tomalak301

Yay, no more Earth Alliance uniforms for a while. Gotta say I really love the Black uniforms, and the 4 sporting them at the end of COLAD was just really awesome. Loved Sheridan's line too, which was a nice touch: "What, you've never seen anyone reborn before?" Nice series changing 4 episodes in a row, probably one of the many reasons I love season 3 the best.

12. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

Season three is great without a doubt, I was rather engaged in it and watched several episodes a day over the course of a weekend. I pretty much did the same for season four and am on an extended break for a bit, perhaps during the holidays all together, but in time I shall be watching season five, I am rather looking forward to it, but at the same time kind of sad, because you can catch things the second time around, but seeing something for the first time, when you don't know what happens next, therein lies the fun.

13. tomalak301

Well, I'm going back on a little break from B5 too and focusing on Farscape when I have the time. Still need to finish season 2, and now I'm at episodes (Starting with Beware of Dog) I haven't seen in years.

14. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recently went thru Farscape too. I'd forgotten how... well, just damn GOOD the show was.

15. tomalak301

I watched Won't get Fooled again. I just love how wacky, fun, and very important that episode was. See, you can advance the arc and have fun doing it. Farscape was great at that kind of thing.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

^ That's my all time favorite episode. That or "Plan B".

17. tomalak301

Watched Interludes and Examinations again tonight. I think it got even better the second time around. So many things happening, and in the 43 minute span, nothing was wasted. Every story felt like an A story, and things start coming together this season and then splitting in different directions again. One thing I forgot to mention when I originally wrote about it was Franklin's story. I really loved how B5 tackled things like addiction and alcoholism in such a way that was meaningful and emotional. There was almost like a gentle care to it in it's seriousness and that is something very much lacking in TV these days. Hearing the special features about this theme that ran through the season I think made it all the more meaningful.

18. Forbin

Then again, they handled Garibaldi's addiction in S5 with all the subtlety of .... ummm... something really unsubtle.

19. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I think the word you're looking for is 'realism'. The first time I saw the episode where Garibaldi deliberately took that first drink really hurt. Then watching him wriggle around trying to hide it hurt more.

Jan

20. Forbin

'Twas painful, yes. I loved the dream image where the bar started enveloping him.

I was disappointed, though, that his drinking turned out to be just his own weakness. At first, I was convinced he'd taken it up again to dull the block that Bester put on him, so he could kill the little bastard. But no, it was just self-pity and falling off the wagon.

I'm hard on that plot thread because I have a friend like that. I was hoping for some kind of twisted heroism out of Garibaldi, not just more of what my friend put us thru.