Axanar anthology

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I didn't realize Axanar was related to SFU in any way? Isn't the "defunct Star Trek RPG" that BigJake is referring to actually FASA? Not that FASA was really any more in continuity, though (especially in the TNG era! ;))

Since the Axanar fleet is so heavily influenced by the Starfleet ships of the Abramsverse, I've always thought of it as a blending of the two anyway.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I always loved the idea that some writers do with Doctor Who in a fashion somewhat like this- putting out a charity anthology. Great way to get some cool new stories out while also helping a cause and the BBC doesn't seem to mind at all.

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The exception being, of course, that there's no charity involved here.

4. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Everything I have heard and seen from Axanar shows that it's done from the love of Star Trek. Having current ST authors write stories to go along with the film just shows how the creators of Axanar get us fans. They like the same things we do, the books, the films, the shows, the models, the whole thing. Wish the people in charge of Star Trek proper had as much love for the franchise.

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very well said. I'm far more looking forward to Axanar than I am Star Trek 3.

6. loghaD

loghaD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Regarding the universe Axanar is set in:

It is indeed inspired by FASA materials, but from what the people behind it say, they're only on-screen, Prime Universe canon is treated as written in stone.

So, everything in Star Trek: Enterprise happened; the augment virus (no Imperial/Fusion division), transporter technology that doesn't go "BANG!", Archer's first contact with the greyish-purple Axanarians...

They're also including some Abrams-inspired designs, since they argue that everything that happened prior to the Kelvin's encounter with the Narada has also happened in this universe.

One of the major changes, I believe, is that Garth will be commanding the USS Ares during the Battle of Axanar, and not the USS Bellerophon (though the Bellerophon still referenced).

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

That sounds very good.

Will we have a review thread for the book here on the Lit forum?

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^TrekLit isn't the proper place for it IMHO as it could open up the floodgates to every semi-prominent fan-fic author complaining why their stuff can't be discussed in TrekLit while this unoffical fiction was.

Full disclosure: my opinion about this whole project is pretty close to doubleohfive's.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm confused as to why Fan Productions or Fan Fiction isn't a more appropriate forum for this. Can anyone clarify?

10. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I'm discussing it with the moderating team.

It hadn't occurred to me to think it might be a problem, but now that the question has been raised I'll get an answer.

11. ryan123450

If we can discuss our Treklit authors other SF works in OT labeled threads, then surely this is an even more appropriate topic?

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Xenophon is indeed mentioned as Garth's previous command - but FASA has the Four Years War start with a bang at Axanar, while other sources and some FASA versions (also) have it end with a bang at Axanar. This film clearly wants to show the concluding bang; if one wants to, one can accommodate material from many sources (including novels that have Garth commanding the Constitution) and split it between the Axanars of one's liking.

FWIW, the maps flashing by in the fundraising prelude would make it quite plausible for there to have been several clashes at Axanar before the one depicted. Supposedly, the only thing making the place noteworthy in the endgame is that Starfleet started building Constitutions there - perhaps as a bait, even, we don't really know. So previous scuffles could well go unmentioned.

Timo Saloniemi

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Since this is a spinoff of a fan film, wouldn't it belong in the fanfiction/fan films section? Even aside from the whole pros-and-story-ideas issue, it seems that's where most of its target audience would be, so it'd seem like the logical place for it.

14. loghaD

loghaD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the info! It's been quite a few years since I read through that stuff.

I do remember the Axanarians being rather a bit different than the ones portrayed in Star Trek: Enterprise. Also, I seem to recall both the Klingons and the Federation making first contact with them individually and while they were still an independent planet, which I suspect will not be the case here.
    Also, it was a planet on the border of Federation-Klingon space, rather than "at the heart of the Federation", as seems to be the case here.

That sounds wise. I'm a big fan ofthe Axanar production, but a fan production is a fan production, regardless of quality or production values.

15. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I don't bother watching most fan films, but I'm interested in this book because of the reported involvement of pro Trek writers like James Swallow. If that doesn't pan out and we get something strictly by people with no official Trek connection, that may be a different story.

But then I've always liked the idea of this section of TrekBBS being the place for discussion of all Trek books, instead of wandering through the TOS section for nonfiction books on TOS, or Tech for tech manuals, etc.

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

This thread absolutely belongs in the fan fiction forum, because that's all these books will ever be. It's great to have professional authors involves writing them, but thr fact remains these are being produced outside the purview of the legal, licenced owners of the intellectual property. No matter how many different ways you spin it, no matter how far Alec Peters expands the scope of this little fan film, it's always going to be just that: a fan film. And these will just be fan fiction. Frankly, I'm amazed this thread has lasted this long in this forum given how much we tiptoe around the subject of fan fiction bleeding into the pro Lit forum.

17. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

You raise a valid point about the licensed fiction, doubleohfive - the nature of this publication means any detailed discussion of what is in the stories would cross the line into story ideas, which are not allowed in this forum.

However, the fact that the Axanar developers have hired professional writers for the stories means the existence of this book is of interest to people here.

So, I'm going to take a similar approach that the board takes with Kickstarter projects.

This thread will stay open and stay here in Trek Lit, to discuss the progress of the book and publication details.

You cannot use this thread, or this forum, to review the stories or discuss the content in detail. Any detailed discussion of that sort should move to either the Axanar threads in fan productions, or external Axanar sites.

18. ryan123450

Sounds like a great via media to me.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks, trampledamage. Makes sense.

20. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I agree with you all. The fact that current Trek authors are involved, to me gives this validity to be here. I mean, in the end, even though Pocket is licensed, the stories we read are no more "canon" than fan stories, right? So why not add these? I love that the authors tell us good stories with these characters we all love. I appreciate their hard work and dedication. Since they are putting their name to this Axanar project, I trust they feel it is worth it and because of their previous Trek work, I trust their judgment.