Avery Brooks Arrested for DUI!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Frontier, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Americans. You've just gotta laugh sometimes haven't you? :lol:

2. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True story.

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We have some weird ideas about things for sure.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Crazy is another persons sane.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I actually think some people get behind the wheel and feel totally sober and in control and then later on the road--whammo--the alcohol finally finishes circulating through their system and they're DUI. It's probably why so many of those people who get caught driving drunk in those cop video shows look so surprised perhaps.
    True. There's been times when I had a few drinks and then found them catching up to me a bit later, but thankfully I didn't have to drive myself home.

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

At least he wasn't driving a flying car...

7. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Wow. I'm shocked, but in a sense I'm glad society these days is more blase over celebrity (OK, he's not A-list, but still a recognisable figure in some sense) impropriety.

Hopefully he doesn't get jailed, and he can put this incident behind him.

8. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Or even a limo, if he wants to party in style.

But my thing is--no one should be treated differently. If he did it, he did it, and the same rules should apply to him as to anyone else.

9. WarpCore

WarpCore Lieutenant Red Shirt

That explains a lot. On the bright side, I think it gives you character. :) Anyway... Size matters and tiny != ordinary.

More person = more blood vessels = more blood = more dilution of the alcohol

Add to that, IME non-scientific observation, drunks/alcoholics tends to make drinks larger and/or stronger than a qualified bartender would mix or a manufactured drink. A standard alcoholic beverage should have 1/2 oz of alcohol in it, which will raise the BAC of a 150lb person by .02. Then it metabolizes at around a rate of .015 BAC per hour. That's how I get to 5 drinks instead of 4.

Something as simple as a high gravity beer or a tall glass of wine instead of 4-5 oz is enough to get someone in trouble because those aren't actually "1 drink". The worst I've ever come across was a frozen drink from Wet Willie's in Memphis called a Call-a-Cab. It has more alcohol in a 16 oz cup than a 6 pack. They somewhat offset its danger by limiting them to 1 per person per night. While that 1 cup is enough to put almost everyone over the legal limits, it's far from normal and much closer to novelty.

Since I've already rambled way off topic, might as well also mention that women are more sensitive to alcohol than men in both impairment and BAC levels.

Clearly Dax would have inherited the station. She got the Defiant when they put Sisko behind a desk for a month.

10. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I have no sympathy for DUI whatsoever. Everyone knows it's wrong, dangerous, and illegal.

I think any DUI on the first offense should get at least 60 days at hard labor "shock time", a stiff fine and lose their license for at least a year. Second offense double the jail and fine and permanently lose your license.

11. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

All we know at this point is that he failed a field sobriety test after being pulled over for "driving erratically" and speaking as someone who, stone cold sober, was pulled over and accused of "driving erratically" (never was told how they justified that description, but the fact I was let go after passing the brethalyser left me with the opinion I'd been stopped by a jobsworth) I know that the police can get it wrong. Especially if it's a Field Sobriety Test and not a breathalyser - I've tried one of those tests and I couldn't pass it sober!

Brooks is innocent until proven guilty as far as I'm concerned, so I'll wait until at least after the arraignment before accusing him of anything!

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quoted for sanity.

It's amazing how many people subscribe to the view that if you are accused, you must therefore be guilty.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, we just have breathalyzers here. Making people walk straight?! Guess you would need some kind of doctor's note if you have any kind of balance or walking issues.

They should just make the legal limit 0. We already have that here for beginner drivers, just make it for everyone. Enough with this "how much can you drink and be safe" "body weight" "food" discussion that goes on, make it as unacceptable as a pilot having a beer before a flight.

14. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Drink drivers are scum and should be treated as such. He was very lucky he didn't kill someone.
    He should be jailed for at least a year.
    Great actor... but criminal scum.

15. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

He hasn't even been to court yet...

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Once again: An accusation is not a conviction, and he did not fail a breathalyzer test, he failed a field sobriety test that even a 100% sober person may fail. You do not know that he had anything to drink, that he committed any crimes, or that he was driving under the influence. An accusation is not a conviction. In fact, sometimes accusations turn out to be false.

17. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

:rolleyes:

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The safe limit to drink if you are planning to drive is ZERO

As for metapolism of it it takes an AVERAGE of 1 hour per unit. Weight/height/gender can affect how long.

As for penalites. Assuming no other serious offences commited.

1st Offense loss of lisence for 1 year
    2nd Offense Loss of lisence for 5 years
    and if you are stupid enough to do it a 3rd time. You don't ever get iyour license back.

19. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't get picked for jury duty much, do you? :)

20. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

OK, so Avery is now a "bad man" because he allegedly drinks and drives? lol..

I'm not being at all an apologist, however this man is one of the better actors in all of Trek. Shatner is perhaps more noted internationally, but Brooks' character was better acted by a country mile. :lol: Even if he somehow gets convicted, it wouldn't make me respect the man any less.

It's like if a player in one's favourite sports team commits an improprietary. OK, the action in itself is bad, but it doesn't mean you don't respect them for their ability. Maradona has obviously had a lot of drug problems, but is still one of the best footballers to have ever lived. Life is not so black and white that people can be categorised as "good" and "bad".