Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 28, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of those were just serious woundings.

You know like everytime he got his legs back, all the times he got is legs back, they had to contrive some hinky means by which they could put him back in that chair.

Still not a death, but i just love the image of Ultimate magneto skewering ultimate chuck through his ultimate spine in the Ultimate Savage land which is how he lost his ambility in the the ultimate universe originally.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The most epic one of course is at David's hand...for it created the Age of Apocalypse!!!!

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I admit, the first thought that went through my head when I heard the concept of All New X-Men was, "Okay, how is this different from South Park's 'Prehistoric Ice Man' episode?" (Stan and Kyle thaw out a frozen man from the scary world of 1996. Hilarity ensues.)

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

6. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Always cracks me up when they go "Oh Jean Grey just won't stop dying." Well I think she died what? Twice? Thrice? But ol' Chuck "died" waaaay more than that. Plus usually his returns were big ol Fuck You's and everyone either hated his guts for lying to them or were overly happy.

I'm sorta hoping that he's still a left over Skrull or a Shi'Ar clone...

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's sadder when a hotgirl dies.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Always.:p

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know I just though of something but didn't they pretty much already just kill off Xavier in Ultimate Marvel?

11. Admiral_Young

Charles was killed by Magneto during Ultimatium.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

IIRC, 616 Wasp and Ultimate Wasp were both killed in comics released on the same day.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Don't forget that Jean killed Charles in that lame X3.

14. Admiral_Young

^ Look at my sig ;)

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I have sigs tuned off right now.:rommie:

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

X3? what's that? :lol:

17. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^Never happened. ;)

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

At last, our long national AVX nightmare is over. On the stands today, Avengers Vs. X-Men #12 and AVX Vs. #6.

Avengers Vs. X-Men #12:
    Quite possibly one of the least unexpected, most anti-climactic comic books I've ever read. The combined forces of the Avengers and the X-Men take on Dark Cyclops, and the role of Hope is finally clarified.

The stuff between the Scarlet Witch and Hope generally works. I'm not clear why these two characters have bonded in the way that they have, but it goes to some interesting places. (Also, I think this is the one time that the matching AVX Vs. issue is necessary.)

The battle with Scott is generally effective, but I have serious doubts about Nova's role in it. Also, we saw Wolverine burned to a crisp in issue #11 and yet here he's fine.

The final pages hint at some interesting directions, if Marvel chose to follow up on them.

A Cyclops imprisoned in a cell where his powers are useless, the other members of the Phoenix Five underground and on the run. That has the potential to be good stuff.

Also out today, AVX Vs. #6:
    The "main" bout -- Hope and the Scarlet Witch -- happens early in AVX #12. And it's great. Hope and the Scarlet Witch come across as squabbling sisters, and they fight dirty. Honestly, it's their bonding moment. It works well enough that I wish Adam Kubert had dispensed with the splash pages in AVX #12 so Marvel could have fit this into the main book.

The back-up fights are insane.

Jarvis and the Toad!
    Squirrel Girl and Pixie!
    Spider-Woman and Emma Frost!
    Spider-Woman and Psylocke!

And we find out which hero is lamer than Green Arrow! (Yes, Green Arrow gets a namecheck in AVX Vs #6.)

And, with that, Avengers Vs. X-Men is over, except for the five-part Consequences mini-series, which I'm not picking up.

Overall, I think this was a pretty weak concept. I stuck with it, despite my unfamiliarity with the Marvel Universe, because I thought it would matter. Instead, it was a lot of people with serious anger and angst issues wailing on each other. Occasionally, interesting philosophical issues were raised. At times, the writing soared. At half the length, this might have been something. At the length it was, it committed the cardinal sin of wasting time.

Our long national nightmare is over.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They are both walking plot devices with broken powersets.

The Scarlet Witch was the impetus that started Bendis's Disassembled and everything that followed.

Hope is the X-Men equivalent who started the ball rolling on the X-books attempt at Disassembled with Messiah Complex.

Also Scarlet Witch was responsible partially for the depowering of mutants and Hope was responsible for undoing "No More Mutants". They are from a certain pov the alpha and omega of Bendis's HoM catastrophe.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Avengers Vs. X-Men was some great storytelling... in the other books! Really enjoyed the senseless fighting in A vs. X, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine & the X-Men, X-Men Legacy and Avengers Academy. Also enjoyed Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers to lesser degrees. Seems like they left all the good stuff out of the main book.

I'm really excited about Uncanny Avengers and All New X-Men, though. I think there is some great story potential.