Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the real glaring excepting is Franklin Richards and his mate GALACTUS who are just kicking like the the solar system is a mancave in the first act of a cosmic buddy movie.

But then, they didn't want to use the Infinity Gems either.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed on that as well...there were several items/people that both teams could have used that they failed to.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Cable is alive but in a coma now, right? It's bad enough they ressurected him so quickly, give him a few years off, says I...

I never thought of that, that would have been awesome if they whipped out Galactus or the Infinity Gems to take out the Dark Phoenix!!! Man, there's so many awesome 11th hour twists they could have done, what they went with was so BORING.

4. Guy Gardener

Oh, I actually meant there was canonical reference to them not wanting to use the infinity gems in one issue. They said something like two all-powerful cosmic forces duking it out on the planet is a sure way to blow up the planet. they wanted to calm shit down down not escalate matters.

Is the Dreaming Celestial still in Central Park, what about the Eternals?

5. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Nah, he'll have Emma as leader of the X-men again withn a year. Which is good, she hasnt been a bad guy since the 80s.

Though anything that does that is welcome.

6. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually am kind of hoping for an Emma Frost run X-Men actually, but in reality I have a feeling that she'll be a Headmistress at the Jean Grey Institute sooner than later. As much as I like Kitty Pryde in that role, she never did strike me as "the Principal" more than Emma Frost did.

Besides, I enjoy the friction those two have together. The conservative little Jewish girl and the Big Bad Blonde.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Amen to that! I really can't stand the Hellfire Tots, and they are the main reason that I can't take WatXM seriously.

8. Admiral_Young

And I of course disagree. They're the perfect counterpoint to Logan's school. A group of rich, psychotic children who have telepathic destructive powers. The purpose of them of course goes along with Logan's entire reason for being at the school in the first place and why the Schism happened. They're an extreme reason. Twisted kids with a thirst for destruction and who simply don't care about the consequences.We're not supposed to like them. That's kind of the point of them.

Jason Aaron sometimes doesn't take the book too seriously...that is why it has become one of my top three current favourite books. It balances seriousness and fun at the same time. The issue featuring Doop is a perfect example of this IMO...well maybe not, since it was a little over the top :)

9. Turtletrekker

It's not even so much that I don't like them (although, I really don't) it's that I can't take them seriously as a credible threat.

10. Admiral_Young

Oh I understand. At first I was like...wtf...then I kind of liked them. It is actually going to be interesting to see what Aaron does with them post AVX.

Speaking of post AVX...anyone going to be following Consequences and Avengers Plus X? I will be getting both books.

11. Turtletrekker

I'll be getting Consequences.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I like the Hellfire kids and I'm really enjoying Wolv & X-Men, actually it's the only X book I particularly like.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

can't stand the Hellfire Tots either. though i do enjoy Wolverine and the X-Men.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem isn't that they are a foil to Wolverine's flavor of the week New Mutants/Young X-Men, it's that they took over the freaking Hellfire Club and their leader has proclaimed himself as the new Black King. If they were the new Hellions, it might have been more tolerable.

15. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

EXACTLY
    They're the new Hellions at best -but the Hellfire Club? Seriously? I'd almost want Emma to just say "Screw it, I'm taking over the HC just to get these brats out of the way. Logan, you can thank me later."

16. Turtletrekker

On the "When Worlds Collide" blog over at CBR, contributors Chad Nevett and Timothy Callahan give an excellent recap of AvX and where it went right and where it went wrong.

Money quote from Nevett--

I agree with everything except his opinion of Cyclops state of mind at the begining of the story. With the info from the future that Cyclops had at his disposal, info that Cap and Stabby McKnifehands didn't have access to, Scott was entirely justified his attempt to keep the Avengers away from Hope.

17. Guy Gardener

He had facts about Hope? I thought he only had faith about hope.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He was being charitable. ;)

19. Turtletrekker

Well, as I mentioned 400 posts or so ago, Cable showed Scott a vision of an apocalyptic future and told him that this would be the result if he let the Avengers take Hope. Fact. Also, Fact-- Even before the Phoenix arrived, Hope had already re-ignited the mutant race, but just at a much slower pace than after she hosted the Phoenix.

Put those facts together, and I still say Cyclops was more than justified in his belief/faith that Hope would restore the mutant race. And don't forget-- he was right.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So...basically, Captain America comes out looking like the good guy because he's the one who was just in a billion-dollar movie, right?