AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope, no-one says it. Although in England the title card reads "Marvel Avengers Assemble".

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 30 second tag in THE INCREDIBLE HULK was a better IRON MAN sequel than IRON MAN 2.

3. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Avengers 80.5 million Friday on its way to a likely 185 milliOn ow record

4. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

I think the only ones who didn't need protecting were Thor and Hulk. Cap had his shield, Iron Man had Hulk, Hawkeye had everybody...

5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I (and my friends) would probably be amongst them.

We just got back from seeing it and I think most of the audience enjoyed it. Most of them laughed at the
    Loki reckoning everyone was virtually a waste of his time and Hulk proving otherwise

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't know who the guy was either until I looked it up on the internet, but I take it everyone else in the theater did know seeing as the crown cheered when he showed up.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought they made the right choice there. Fitting in all the love interests would have felt forced and contrived, but Pepper made sense because Iron Man was the movie that started it all, and she was the one audiences probably had the biggest attachment to.

8. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I disagree. Jane and Thor's emotional bond was an important part of his characterization-it's what humanized him-and I really felt like there was something missing from Thor's storyline because Jane wasn't there.

9. davejames

Yeah it did humanize him (and I won't deny that Thor got a bit shortchanged in this movie), but I don't think the movie could really afford to delve into everybody's personal life here, or go off on too many tangents that didn't affect the central Loki storyline.

Because once you have Jane, then you'll HAVE to deal with Betty and Peggy as well.

I'm sure fanboys would love an epic 4 hour movie that explored every character equally, but I think Joss was right to keep things as tight and focused as possible.

10. Admiral James Kirk

I dunno. I don't think Betty and Peggy were as important to Cap and Hulk character-wise as Jane was to Thor. Besides, as Loki's brother, Thor's storyline shouldn't have been as marginalized as it was.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I do recall Jane Foater not only being mentioned but her picture showing up on a monitor.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Honestly I only have a casual knowledge of Marvel comics. I would not of known who that was if I had not read the spoiler before seeing the Film. I already knew the name and the basic appearance before that.

But he comes off as generic evil alien to most general audiences. It was for the comic fans. Which is perfectly fine. It's just that moment could have been a clear full body shot and having him do something more dramatic to get everyone excited.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Did anyone stay for the second end credit scene where they are all eating together at the place Stark mentioned?

14. Admiral James Kirk

Nobody said otherwise. However it wasn't a particularly satisfying way of dealing with the character's absence from the movie.

15. davejames

In my mind Jane was the least essential of the love interests. I never saw any kind of great connection between her and Thor; she was just the cute little Earth girl who had a crush on him because he was really hunky. If anything, I would argue Skarsgard's character actually had the bigger influence on him in that movie.

16. Admiral James Kirk

I might be able to concede Skaarsgard to a degree, but I can't agree that Betty Ross was more essential to Banner's character than Jane was to Thor's. Banner's significant other has always been the Hulk. On the other hand characters like Pepper and Jane bring their men down to earth. If anyone was the least essential it was Peggy. I think Dr. Erskine and Bucky had far greater bonds with Cap than Peggy did.

17. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I stayed until the very end, but apparently, they only showed that one in the US. :(

18. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I made the group I was seeing it with stay for the final final scene. Very amusing. It's on the North American release, so Canada gets it too.

On the love interest(s), I assume they're saving the Peggy thing for Captain America 2. Maybe with Sharon?

On the Black Widow's "power level", they did have to find her something to do in the end. This isn't a knock on the film, but on Marvel's overall strategy. Why wasn't Ms/Captain Marvel in here? You wouldn't need to explain her, leaving that for a Carol Danvers film once casual audiences were interested.

19. Admiral James Kirk

I saw it too. Europeans shouldn't feel too bad about not having the scene. I mean they got the movie a whole week before we did. Marvel owed us one. ;)

20. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as superhero love interests go, Paltrow's Pepper Potts brings a lot to the table. The one from Captain America (Haley I can't remember her name) was also excellent.