Authors please pitch the Robau if you can.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Yevetha, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

And donuts.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, let me put it this way:

Whether or not Starfleet adopted the arrowhead as its emblem to honor the Enterprise and/or any other ships that used it is entirely separate from whether or not the arrowhead was given to the Enterprise to honor the Kelvin -- which is the only point relevant to the Prime Universe I made in suggesting that the Kelvin might have been a very well-respected, accomplished starship in its own right, even prior to encountering the Narada.

3. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

definately donuts.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, really, every single Trek story could be compacted to fit on Kirk's Enterprise.

I think the Kelvin scenes in STXI were powerful, and had a unique atmosphere. The gigantic ship, with a cavernous engineering section so big, guys were rapelling down from the upper levels. Dozens and dozens of shuttlecraft. Unique weapons (were those microtorpedo launchers? Plasma weapons? Pulse phasers? Projectiles?), 800+ crew etc etc

Plus, although much of Diane Carey's pre-TOS stories have been contradicted by later canon, I'd love to learn how George Kirk became such friends with Robert April.

5. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Plus 5 condoms.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I didn't really like Robeau and don't really fancy novels featuring the Kelvin. It would be good to have some fiction about non-Enterprise stuff set in the new universe though.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'd rather see a series about a crew in the 2160s, in the really early days of the Federation, when it was just a small alliance of a few worlds trying to figure out how to work together in a huge, hostile galaxy. But I do find the idea of a series set on the Kelvin before 2233 very intriguing. There's already a potential for a good cast of characters there with Robau and the Kirks (maybe they're not even romantically involved when the series begins), and like KingDaniel implied, Robert April would be a natural fit. Has April's age ever been officially established? According to Memory Beta, he commanded the USS Tiberius for "many years" before returning to Earth in the early 2240s. If a presumptive Kelvin series ends in 2233, that could still work.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

They will fit like a glove.

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

When Michael and I pitched a ton of stuff back in 2010, one of them was a Kelvin novel. Jamie Costas had the most positive reaction to the Kelvin story and what became A Choice of Catastrophes, and asked for more on both, though ultimately S&S and CBS decided to go forward with A Choice of Catastrophes. So it's not impossible for it to happen, or at least it wasn't then.

10. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I always thought Federation's rationale for the arrowhead was the most logical. I never liked the idea that the Enterprise's mission patch became the default insignia for Starfleet because of Kirk. It really doesn't jibe because it would seem to coincide with him becoming Admiral. "Admiral Nogura, here's my list of suggestions. Item one is replacing individual mission patches with MINE and putting it on EVERYTHING."

I think people are interested in Robau and the Kelvin for many of the reasons stated so far. You also have some leeway. You can write it and have it apply to either universe. (As it seems Children of Kings was apparently written to be.) or tell the story of the Kelvin up to the divergent event and have it apply to both universes. As well, the idea of Kirk's father in action with a Captain whose sole appearance is largely considered bad-ass, would be fairly easy sell. "All of the fun of both a Kirk-helmed book with an Action Captain, and the fun of a "Wet-behind-the-ears Kirk as XO." but without having to slot it into Kirk's rather busy schedule. ;-)

11. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Yeah, I'd buy that. :cool:

Seems a natural fit (and a way to bring back into the TrekLit fold) for Diane Carey - it would be like a "remastered" version of her April novels - Final Frontier and Best Destiny :techman:

12. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

So a Robau novel could actually happen. Great.

I assume you cannot tell us what it would had been about. Right?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  13. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

All I know is--I'm REASONABLY sure one could find a market for Kelvin novels...if the extent of folks contributing to The Robau's cult status on this board alone is any indication....

Of course, the writers would have to be sure to portray Robau as the bad-:censored: we all know him to be.

In short--KRAD and Mack, you two feel up to it...?

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been my firm opinion that the question is "when will we get a Kelvin novel?" as opposed to "will we ever get a Kelvin novel?" It'll happen eventually, might take a few years (or more) but it will happen.

15. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Someone had a positive reaction to the idea back in 2010 but then the franchise chose to commission another book instead. That doesn't make a Kelvin likely, that makes it less likely. The franchise has essentially already chosen not to pursue this idea. Plus, the longer we go without a Kelvin book, the less likely it will happen.

The only hope, I believe, is if a best selling author with proven sales pitches the concept in a compelling way. Even then, we now know the idea was pitched and rejected.

16. Sci

"The franchise?" You seem to be confusing "the franchise" with a single editor who is no longer working at Pocket Books.

And the fact that that particular editor chose not to pursue that particular story idea does not mean that other story ideas for novels set aboard the Kelvin cannot happen. There's no mathematical model of probability here. The relevant questions are, "Does the editor like the story pitch?" and "Do the licensors -- CBS, Paramount, and Bad Robot -- want to let Pocket do a novel set aboard the Kelvin?" That's it.

No, we know that an idea for a story set aboard the Kelvin was rejected. "The starship Kelvin" is not a story idea, it's a setting.

17. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Mollman, any idea why it was rejected?

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Just a thought - when we first see the Kelvin it is before Nero arrives from the future and changes the timeline. This is in effect the universe of TOS.

How then, does the size and ships compliment of the Kelvin fit with the (smaller ?) TOS enterprise ?

19. Sci

I'm honestly not sure what the issue here would be. The Kelvin's size is actually unclear, but even if it weren't, so what? You'd have a ship that's larger than the Constitution class yet more primitive. No big continuity issu here.In fact, there's already precedent for earlier ships being nearly as large as the Constitution class yet being more primitive -- the D'Kyr class from ENT was seen in "In A Mirror, Darkly" to be very nearly as large as a Constitution class, yet more technologically primitive, especially in weapsons and defensive systems.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

My thoughts were that the ships in the JJverse are substantially larger than those in the Prime universe, thus there was a natural progression from the Kelvin to the JJverse Enterprise which does not follow for the TOS Enterprise. It is, however, entirely possible that ships did get smaller as technology progressed.