Contest: ENTER August 2022 Art Challenge – “Hailing Frequencies Closed”

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Michael, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Hey folks!

We haven't had one of these in a while. While you can add your own ideas for next month's contest here and vote on them in a couple of days, I would like to use some time this month to try out something that has been discussed here:

Let's have a contest where the rule regarding entries having to be created during the month of the contest is relaxed. You can think of some older work in your archive that fits the bill? Please feel very welcome to enter it! :)

And also, although this was never specifically a rule or a requirement, please feel free to submit even the quickest of doodle or sketch. Practically everything is welcome. I would love to see anything you have in mind for this!

────────────────────

As for the theme: Just a couple of days ago Nichelle Nichols – a Trek icon and inspiration for so many – passed away at the age of 89. I had the pleasure of finally meeting Ms. Nichols just a couple of years ago during a convention and found her to be such a class act and admirable lady. As with many of our childhood heroes this leaves a strange emptiness inside of me, and I'm sure many of you feel the same.

So what I would like to do is dedicate this month's contest to remembering Nichelle Nichols, Uhura and her legacy in the world of Trek and beyond. I noticed that some like @Atolm, @Forbin and @ashefivekay have already posted some stunning Uhura tributes here, here and here. Maybe some of you would even like to enter your work in this contest. I would love to see that happen. :)

You have until Friday Monday the 29th to enter something for this. If you have any questions or suggestions, just let me know. :)

2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice idea!
    As usual I'll be cheering you all on from the sidelines. ;)

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

I'm more than happy to announce that @EricF and the board administration came through for us and we'll be having a glorious golden badge of honor for the winner of this month's contest, which they will be able to sport for the entirety of the following month, letting everyone on the board know that they won. How's that for a prize? :)

Here's how it will probably look …

fanartchallengewinner.png

CorporalCaptain, Finn, Orac and 7 others like this.
  4. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very nice! Can we include pieces we did for this particular topic this month or do we need to make new ones?

5. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

They look great, thanks for sorting that out for us, @Michael. And pass along our thanks to the Admins, too. :techman:

The "made this month rule" rule has been waived for this contest, so you're free to enter existing art. :)

I'll have to think on this theme, I always have trouble with memorial pieces - unless someone has some spare ideas they'd like to share...

blssdwlf likes this.
  6. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Because it was too hot to do very much outside, I spent most of the day indoors making this cardboard cut-out Uhura (I just need to give her a face and that big turquoise ring that Nichelle Nichols always wore). When it cools down a bit, I'm going to take her out for a 'photo shoot' :D
    [​IMG]

nightwind1, Starscape, Finn and 6 others like this.
  7. Michael

Love the animation, @Captain pl1ngpl0ng! And that handcrafted Uhura is coming along nicely, @Cyfa!

@everyone: I want to remind you that you got until Monday to enter your Uhura/Nichelle Nichols entry for this. Who will be the first to have the honor of sporting the brand new Fan Art Challenge winner's badge? :)

And also, there's still a couple of days left to vote for next contest's theme over here!

Captain pl1ngpl0ng likes this.
  8. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just submitting the one I already did. It's been nuts this month for me.

[​IMG]

nightwind1, Starscape, Cyfa and 7 others like this.
  9. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

Arrgh, where has this month gone. Well, it gives me and excuse to try and keep things simple...

[​IMG]

nightwind1, Cyfa, blssdwlf and 3 others like this.
  10. MisterD

MisterD Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I thought I go with some kind of blaxploitation style poster.

nightwind1, Starscape, Cyfa and 2 others like this.
  11. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Michael

How nice to see some more entries after all! Thanks to everyone who entered! @Cyfa, did you have time to take your handcrafted Uhura out for a photoshoot? I'll post the voting in a couple of hours, so hopefully you'll see this before I do.

As for my own entry: I whipped something up in MagicaVoxel again, my go-to minimalistic 3D program. In case this isn't obvious that's Uhura's console, her earpiece as well as her neon green earrings she wears in so many episodes …

[​IMG]

13. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there a slight chance I can still enter? I really thought it was going to be end of the month...

Michael likes this.
  14. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Oh, gosh, sorry @Michael! I did take Uhura out, but the photos weren't very good, so I was going to try again, but what with one thing and another I didn't get around to it. If you can hold off for a bit (and for @BorgMan too), I'll give it another go :D

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

Sure guys, no rush at all. How about another day? :)

MisterD and BorgMan like this.
  16. i havnt heard of it before, i just checked it out... interesting.... i'm going to to try that one
    thanx for the tip:)

Michael likes this.
  17. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, if we're shifting to at least the night (maybe tomorrow?) I'm sure I'll be done. I threw away my original concept because I thought I still had time >__<

Michael likes this.
  18. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I very much doubt that I'll manage to do anything else between now and tomorrow, so I think this will have to do (sorry, Nichelle):
    [​IMG]

19. Michael

Gladly! It has become one of my favorite tools since I discovered it for myself a couple of years ago. I just love its render engine and how easy it is to practically doodle something cool-looking.

I've actually used it a number of times in the past to create something Trek-related:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have no problem waiting another day if that means one more entry from you. :)

That's pretty nice! I especially like the reflective gold elements! Is she wearing some sort of ring, by the way?