Contest: VOTE September Art Challenge - Vote for Your Theme!

Vote for TWO!! Vote for TWO!!

• Anything Star Trek

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • TOS Anniversary

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Fairy Tale Trek

• Trek Craft Inspired by a Car Manufacturer

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Toy Trek

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Hats

• Design Evolution

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Pre-warp History

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Hybrid Art

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Starscape

Commodore
Premium Member
Vote for your favourite Themes for the September Art Challenge.

A first in our new style Art Challenge, you can now vote on the theme for September's contest.

Please feel free to vote whether you intend to create an entry or not, we want to generate as much interest and participation as possible. And let us know how you've voted below and why: what piques your interest about each theme, what you think we might see. You never know, your thoughts could just be the spark that lights someone's imagination and leads to a new piece of Star Trek art.

We have nine themes suggested by BBS members for you to choose from and you can vote for TWO!! I suggest that the themes that don't get picked for September can be rolled-over to October's vote, and so on, so they'll have another opportunity (perhaps eliminating consistently low scorers after a few months).

Details for each theme are as follows:

(Remember, you can vote for TWO!!)

Anything Star Trek
A Carte Blanche challenge, any Star Trek themed creation.

TOS Anniversary
Each September we celebrate "Star Trek Day", the Anniversary for TOS's first broadcast. To commemorate that your challenge is to create a piece of art inspired by The Original Series.

Fairy Tale Trek
I've seen pictures from one of the SNW episodes in which the crew seem to be acting out a fairy tale, so I thought a theme along those lines might be fun as well as topical.

Trek Craft Inspired by a Car Manufacturer
In Fantastic Four 2, they introduced the Fantasicar, which was "built" by Dodge, and even contained familiar Dodge traits, such as the front grill and logo. My suggestion would be to create a Star Trek craft belonging to a particular car maker (Dodge, Ford, Chevy, etc). The craft would need to contain visual traits that make it identifiable as a particular brand.

Toy Trek
We've seen Marauder Mo, we've seen Toby the Targ, we've seen Flotter...what other kinds of children's toys and characters might exist in the worlds of the Trek galaxy? The Federation's certainly full of room for creativity, but there's a whole galaxy out there, and you never get that sense more than when you're a kid...

Hats
We don't see many hats in the Trekiverse, so why not design some?

Design Evolution
Show us your design evolution process (possibly just quick sketches) for something Star Trek, be it a ship, alien race or piece of equipment. (We've had something like this once before, but it could be worth revisiting)

Pre-warp History
Show us what you think life for an existing alien species was like some time before they developed warp-drive. (e.g. what was the Vulcan equivalent of the Model-T Ford, who was the first Andorian to circumnavigate their planet.)

Hybrid Art
In light of DALL-E, IMAGEN and Mid Journey, you might want to have folks suggest hybrids from AI art…then flesh them out. For instance…one could suggest an Enterprise with Galactica surface detail..a Planet of The Titans Star Destroyer.

Please, vote for TWO!!

And, as always, have fun! :bolian:

I forgot to say, the poll closes on the 1st September. But, obviously, if there's a clear winner before then, that'll give everyone some extra time to consider their entries.

Well, I voted Fairy Tale Trek, because I like a bit of whimsy and sounds like it could produce some fun ideas: Seven and the Seven Dwarfs? ;)

And Toy Trek, a children themed contest has been in my mind for a while and I love the idea of a plush starship Enterprise.

I voted: Trek craft inspired by car manufacturers, would be nice to see a 1701 version according to Cadilac or Ford or maybe Fiat. ;)

The poll has closed and our first group chosen theme for September's Art Challenge took an early lead and stayed ahead throughout the voting period and it is:

TOS Anniversary
Each September we celebrate "Star Trek Day", the Anniversary of TOS's first broadcast. To commemorate that event your challenge is to create a piece of art inspired by The Original Series.

Thanks to everyone who voted and put their ideas forward. I'll leave the honour of hosting the next contest to the winner of August Challenge, but in the meantime the rest of us can start thinking and working on our September entries.

Have fun! :bolian:

(P.S. I'll start a new thread for October theme suggestions in a day or two...
and it's up here: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/october-art-challenge-suggest-your-themes.312211/)

Last edited:
Back