Arts and Crafts Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by thestrangequark, Nov 23, 2015.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love that pyramid.

2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

That thing took several hours ...... It's a 3D model and was a right pain to create. Everything else was just ordinary artwork I have done over the years.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Because I didn't have enough ways to procrastinate already. . .

[​IMG]

now I gotta figure out what to do with 14 lbs of fancy soaps.

think and Tora Ziyal like this.
  4. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks a little like a game of mahjong I was playing in a nightmare once.

5. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was my grandmother's funeral today. While cleaning out her apartment, I found lots of things that I had made for her as a child. Some amazing things there.

My favorite of the lot. A miniature gingerbread house, made from Suralin (Fimo). A one in a kind thing!

[​IMG]

The other side of the gingerbread house. Doesn't it look very tasty? I always get hungry looking at it!

[​IMG]

Another favorite - often I did several of the same, but this is another one of a kind. I always loved shells.

[​IMG]

Miniature bowle / cocktail sticks, made from Suralin. The holder they are in used to hold glue. The flowers and leaves I decorated it with were sent to me by my aunt in West Germany. She knew me well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More Suralin stuff - a little pig with a real Pfennig for luck, and something to celebrate the 60th birthday. The elephant at the left happened after 1990 - I remember having bought a wooden one in an Indian shop and then thinking I can do this too. I added miniature beads to it.

[​IMG]

Snails, made from Suralin and real snail houses.

[​IMG]

Happy acorns!

[​IMG]

Painted stones - a seal and a turtle. These are "mass production", I have been showing other exemplares before

[​IMG]

Place cards. Simple folded paper, so it can stand (like the last row). You are supposed to write the name onto the line. I have no idea why I made so many of them? Guess I was on a creative spree!

[​IMG]

A heart made from salt dough, decorated with peppercorns and painted:

[​IMG]

Refuge likes this.
  6. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

My sympathy, Astra. Grandmothers are awesome. What sweet remembrances of her you have!

7. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

They all look very cool Astra.

Condolences

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Did a poster for a friend's benefit, quite happy with how the art for it came out:
    [​IMG]

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Very nice! :bolian:

Venardhi likes this.
  10. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

They are fantastic. I really like the shell frogs and the little critter heads.
    Sorry for your loss but you made things for her, gave of your time and talent and I'm sure that meant a lot.

11. Astra

Thank you all! The things are on my shelf now so I can see them on a regular basis. It makes my fingers itch to go crafty again! Here's what I am working on at the moment, which as a Star Trek fan you might recognize...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Refuge likes this.
  12. Astra

I made a steampunk miniature today, from one of those Minions eggs and lots of stuff I had lying around ever since my childhood. I always was a hoarder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

think and Miss Chicken like this.
  13. Astra

This chaiselongue is sold on ebay under the name Barbie but it is only 1:12 dollhouse size. And looking as cheap as it costs. I refurbished it today with velvet that came from the envelope of an old pocket calendar. Look, I can even use the metal sign for my steampunk stuff. Nothing gets wasted [​IMG];)

Showing some details for the armrest - as you surely all know, you need to cut out triangles, to form it around a round surface.
    I just winged the rest - put it on, cut more off, tried to form it around the corners. I am quite pleased with the result. I did not want to put velvet on the backrest, as I liked the detail there and it would have been lost. So I just painted it. Wondering if I should do the dots in golden paint or would that be too much?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Wow! :eek:

I'm impressed. That's an amazing transformation!

For the dots, I would think they represent buttons or somesuch in the real furniture? I wonder how they would look if they were the same color as the "wooden" part - make it a balance of the two colors, rather than adding a third.

15. Astra

Thank you! (did you also see my steampunk machinery in the post before?)

Some people had recommended black instead of gold, which is also an interesting idea, but then someone posted this link showing several of those couches and I can't see any studs in other colors there, they all seem to be the same color:

http://tinyurl.com/ycas3rwv

So I guess I'll leave it as it is. I don't want to mess it up.

16. Timewalker

Most of those look so uncomfortable. There's one quite a bit down the page that looks nice and actually comfy.

Or maybe I've just become so used to a bed where both ends can be elevated to what's comfortable, that I can't fathom sleeping or relaxing on flat bed/lounge-like things anymore.

17. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

After more than a 30 year break from it, I have started doing Hobbytex again. I think in the USA there is something similar called Tri-chem. It is fabric painting. I coloured in this runner over the weekend.

[​IMG]

and I am testing out this tiger cub, I am so out of practice that I have made a few mistakes on this one. I have a three copies of this cub as your get a free one with every order you put in.

[​IMG]

Mary Ann and Timewalker like this.
  18. Timewalker

Those are lovely.

It's been decades since I did any Tri-Chem. The last time was when I made a Starfleet insignia to sew onto a dress uniform.

Miss Chicken likes this.
  19. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I didn't realise that Hobbytex still existed until about two months ago. It used to be all the range in the 1970s when it was sold by party plan.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love that tiger baby