Artist John Eaves asking for donations to aid data recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macintosh

Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
From his Facebook account:

"2024 so far has been a heavy one and going back to April of 23 when we were all laid off due to strikes kind of started it all. A week ago a little more hard times hit when my big external drive crashed. After a lot of research I found a data recovery service to use and just got the rough figures $$$ to save the data. Astronomical is the word that best describes the amount so that is out of the question so it is a day of coping and possibly having to let go n say goodbye to the fast majority of work and family pictures. I had part of the data shared onto a back up but not all of it and then a few months ago I had my website on Webs and they shut down so all the back up plans have failed all at once. The digital world is so bloody fragile and it only takes a second to loose a life time of memories . Hard day for sure and just needed a little time here to blow off some steam. Thanks."

Obviously one has the greatest of sympathy for Eaves's predicament and the greatest of respect for his spectacular body of work, even if all of his designs haven't been entirely to my taste... but really... people not having a viable backup solution in this day and age just makes me sigh very heavily.

Anyway, if anyone wants to offer cash (or prayers)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh. Eaves's Facebook page does not mention any of this. The only thing I could find was someone on the Facebook Star Trek Modelers Group posting about it, but the link to the page is now dead. Methinks this might be a scam.

Link 1: "This content isn't available right now."

Link 2: "Sorry, this content isn't available right now."

Maybe you need to be friends with him on Facebook to see it? I don't know how publicly viewable his account is, and both those links work fine for me :shrug:

Maybe you need to be friends with him on Facebook to see it? I don't know how publicly viewable his account is, and both those links work fine for me :shrug:

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not facebook friends with him, so maybe that's it? Believe me, I hope it's not a scam, despite the shitty situation of Eaves losing his data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back