Are there ethical problems with Janeway's time travel in 'Endgame'?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by at Quark's, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was the intention of the author, that yes the Borg were Destroyed, but that author is a moron and explained it poorly, and then star trek online, the comics and the novels pretended that the Borg were not destroyed.

It took me ten years to notice.

2. BigDaveX

BigDaveX Captain Captain

If the Borg really had been 100% wiped out in Endgame, then it would mean that Admiral Janeway saved the lives of Chakotay, Seven and a dozen or so others... at the cost of turning Voyager's crew (or at least the command staff) into willing accomplices to genocide. Bit of an ethical problem, if you ask me.

3. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't really call destroying the Borg genocide. Granted, all of them are assimilated people, but with a few exceptions, it's almost impossible to de-Borg them. (They never should have allowed Janeway, Tuvok, and Torres to be de-Borged so easily. It completely cheapened the terror and horror of being assimilated that we first saw in FIRST CONTACT.)

I think it comes down to this... destroy an enemy that has no sympathy, remorse, incapable of redemption or reason, and have not just assimilated billions of people, but have also killed billions more. Quite likely trillions between murder and assimilation. And they will keep going until ALL life in the galaxy is Borg. Hell, they started going to other DIMENSIONS to assimilate more races, which of course backfired.

Or allow them to keep doing it.

They have to be stopped, which was why I was very much with Admiral Necheyev when she talked to Picard.

But that is another topic and I don't want to derail the subject of the thread, which already spurs great debate.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be okay with the destruction of the Borg entire, though it wouldn't be my preferred option to resolving what was essentially a slave race (it would be akin to scoring a military victory with significant civilian casualties), but even watching the episode that wasn't the interpretation I walked away with.

I did kind of like that, in the novels, "Endgame" marked the Federation finally pissing the Borg off enough that they decided assimilating the Federation was no longer worth the bother...and decided to simply wipe it out instead. Given Admiral Janeway's casual disregard for the years of Voyager's journey that she preempted, it feels rather like karmic retribution.