Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by SLWalker, Nov 23, 2008.

1. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Reflected

Title: Reflected
    Rating:
    G
    Pairing: None
    Timeline: September 2246
    Words: 1443
    Disclaimer: Scott is Paramount's property, everyone else is not.
    Notes: Jay gets an unexpected call from his son; short, kind of bittersweet. Written for Trekfan, in a roundabout way. Edited by the ever-lovely Teddog. Last one of this set.

--

Pulled for story control.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Reflected

Very nice to see the interaction between these two now that Scott's come to a place in his life where I can more easily empathize. I didn't really read "Junkyard Dogs," but I still enjoyed this.

I also like your reflections on Jay's attachments to Deneva and Earth. :)

3. SLWalker

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Reflected

I think, if I wove the earlier stuff well enough and I weave the later stuff well enough, you'll understand the young, half-feral Scotty a lot better. But I have way too much to write yet, before it all clicks. That's part of the joy of writing it, though; arcs within arcs within eras, within the broad story of a person's life. If I do my job well, then hopefully you'll want to go back and re-read the early stuff with new perspective.

Still, that's awhile to go yet.

Thanks so much for the comment! I hadn't originally planned on revisiting Jay, but I was glad I could. He's a good man and I came to care a lot about him in Junkyard Dogs; it seemed only fair to give him one more look.

4. SLWalker

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Notes and Things

All right, this is the last set I'm posting here until I have more done. Alas, I don't know when that'll be, since I've been suffering a very agonizing writer's block for awhile now. But if you want to read what else I do have out of context, you can find all of the stories here. If you're looking for some Christmas fluff, It's All Engineering is a good piece requiring no real context. But that's up to you -- there are big pieces missing in there.

There's one story written for me by someone else (Trekfan) to add to this set. Half-canon, but as always, wonderful: A possible look at Corry and Abby's not-quite-first date.

Title: First Date
    Author: Trekfan
    Rating: G
    Pairing: Abby/Corry
    Timeline: July 2246
    Words: 1543
    Disclaimer: Scott belongs to Paramount; Pete belongs to Trekfan. SLWatson belongs to the rest of 'em and then some. ::grins::
    Notes: Written as half of a trade by Trekfan! So, tell him what you think. A possible look at Corry's first time out with Abby. As he said, "okay, here's a story for SLWatson, about dear Mr. Corriagan. As always, any and all comments are welcome. This story I particulary enjoyed writing (partly inspired by my 11th grade history teacher). enjoy."

Of course, there are more goodies, but I'll get to them tomorrow. In the meantime, I shall explain the story behind South Bristol, Maine.

Back when I picked this particular hometown for Corry, I had done so by basically throwing a digital dart at a map and came up with this. I only knew I wanted him to be from New England, and on a bit of a lark, from Maine. I hunted around the internet (this back when it was a much smaller place) and came across a picture of a pretty town where the sun was rising on the docks.

Enter, South Bristol.

The thing about evolving storylines is that you don't always know what will happen. I had no idea that South Bristol would be anything more than a mention, but as time went on and I kept asking questions, it emerged as being a place that held a significant amount of importance. Not because it was the site of some grand endeavor, but because, like all of us have at some point in our lives, it's the 'home territory' for at least two of the most important parts of my cast.

So, for about six years this story came back to visit Midcoast Maine, and that region between Wiscasset and Pemaquid Penninsula. I'd never been to Maine; in fact, I'd never been into New England, really, past Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. So I relied on a ton of research, and fell in love with this place through my characters' eyes.

Finally, the opportunity came up for me to take my very first adult vacation. And, there was only one place I wanted to go. So, this year in September, my friend Rach and I went to South Bristol.

There's something kind of remarkable about walking around the home territory of your characters, even a couple centuries before they do.

So, here are my pictures -- South Bristol, Boothbay Harbor, Damariscotta... a whole bunch of pictures of the space where my characters walk. Large images, so don't browse on slow connections.

Midcoast Maine.

5. SLWalker

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Artwork

All defunct.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  6. Nerys Ghemor

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Artwork

Very nice! I especially like "Breathless"--the expression is just perfect!

As for "Be Careful"...it's kinda strange to see that one. There's emotion there, but they both kind of look like they're holding back.

7. SLWalker

"Messed up and off-balanced" maybe? ;) Thanks for the comments!

8. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

Very well done vignettes--just the spot for before grading finals.

9. SLWalker

Thanks very much, and thanks for reading so far!

10. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I just read through this. Lobster Wars is my next chapter. A few comments.

"She sings!" had me all choked up. The whole story of Cory's return home was amazing. Rachel's fall was well done-as someone who's had to deal with that type of situation, I thought you got the "feeling" of the situation dead on. Your explanation of Scotty's work on the Enterprise, particularly the short bit about him going EVA, was dynamite imagery. Usually, when I read anything, I read very fast-superfluous words are ignored and assumed as I gather the 'meat' of the story. It's actually useful when reading some of the less-polished work on this sight. Cuts down on the pain in my grammarian soul.:lol: That having been said-I read every word, every sentence you write. It's just such beautiful prose that I don't want to risk missing a key word or nuance. IMO, you could easily support yourself as a fiction writer if you gave it the kind of passion and effort these tales reflect. I'd buy anything you published, guaranteed.

11. SLWalker

Oh, I can't wait to see what you think of that one.

I'm honored. Seriously, I am. My very favorite author is Norman Maclean, who approached writing as his father taught him: "It's good, now cut out a third of the words." If I ever get to be as half as good as he is, then I'll be happy.

Funny enough, I've never felt the urge to write original fiction; fanfic allows me to indulge in several passions (history, psychology, writing and in this case, Star Trek). I think I get my best compensation from it just... putting it out there and hoping people enjoy it, and maybe even take something away from it. In my day-job of sorts, I'm a stringer for the local paper, where I'm paid by piece to write little human-interest stories. By night, I just read or write fanfic, when I'm not doing household chores.

Again, thank you very much for the kind words. I'm touched, and humbled by them.

12. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reading my way through the stories and thoroughly enjoying the insight into Scotty [and others]. Your work has a lot of internal drive and honesty to them that I find absorbing. So well done on a great job.

13. SLWalker

Thank you very much! I hope that I don't end up disappointing by stumbling along the way.

14. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Well "Lobster Wars" was a kick. And that line about"Understanding what it was like to have a home...." was priceless-I wish I could write something that insightful just once-then I could die content. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed, though. I wanted to keep reading but it all ended.

15. SLWalker

::laughs:: Well, it didn't end, but there are a lot of big stories missing between this and the next part. As I said before, if people don't mind reading 'em out of context, there are quite a few more stories. But I've given up trying to explain the parts that are missing, and figured I'd hold off on posting them until I actually filled in the gaps.

Thanks so much for reading, and commenting!

16. SLWalker

Random picture, from the story 'Bookends'. It is warm and fluffy and makes me happy. The picture, that is, not the story. About an hour and a half (real quick piece) on a Wacom Bamboo, in Photoshop CS2.

17. Nerys Ghemor

Oh, that IS comforting to look at! Makes me actually want to go to bed early...curl up with a book... :)

18. SLWalker

Sleepy, early-morning Scotty for the win! It does. I have a thing for warm yellow light. I'm gonna go to bed regardless, but I was glad I managed to successfully draw something for once and finish it.