Contest: VOTE April Art Challenge - Vote for Your Theme!

VOTE for THREE!!! VOTE for THREE!!!

• Specific Show -- The Next Generation

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Transporter Malfunctions

• The Menagerie

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • The More Things Change

• Body by Brand Name

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • The New Next Generation

• This is Me/Us

• Beginnings

• Where My Heart Is, Beyond Antares

• 80s Animated Mash!

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tall Tales

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Fighting Stance

• We're All Friends At This Table

• Timekeeping

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Not Good Enough

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Starscape

Commodore
Premium Member
I hope you're all planning your entries for March's Blueprint Challenge. ;) As you do that we also have April's Theme to decide and you have until the poll closes on the 1st April to vote for your THREE favourites.

Please feel free to vote whether you intend to create an entry or not, we want to generate as much interest and participation as possible. And let us know how you've voted below and why: what piques your interest about each theme, what you think we might see. You never know, your thoughts could just be the spark that lights someone's imagination and leads to a new piece of Star Trek Art.

Be aware, the least popular Themes from the last few polls have enter THE NEUTRAL ZONE and are in danger of being eliminated from the vote.

We have fifteen themes suggested by BBS members for you to choose from and you can vote for THREE!!!

Details for each Theme are as follows:

Specific Show -- The Next Generation

Dedicated to art inspired by one specific Star Trek show/era. Each month you have the opportunity to vote for a different era cycling through: TOS/TAS --> TNG --> DS9 --> VOY --> ENT --> MOVIES --> DSC --> PIC --> LDS --> PRO --> SNW --> TOS/TAS --> ...

Transporter Malfunctions
Duplicates, amalgamations and transmogrifications. Oh my!

The Menagerie
We hear about Berengarian dragons, and Andorian bulls, and Orion wing-slugs, and Terrelian seapods and the like, but didn't get to see them. What do they look like? How big are they? What kind of environment do they live in? Will they eat you?!?

The More Things Change

Time may move at warp speed, but not everything does. Show us how something Trek has changed over the years - landscapes, buildings, ships, people, beliefs.

Body by Brand Name
Since certain iconic brands are bound to survive or be revived in the future, what would a starship/uniform/base, pretty much anything, look like if it was built or designed by a particular company? Not limited to products or types of products the company makes. So what about a starship designed by Tiffany/Swarovski? A tricorder from Blackberry?

The New Next Generation

Show what would follow your favorite incarnation of Star Trek.

This is Me/Us

Insert yourself in some kind of art...whether a photoshop, hand drawing, or costume photo...something where you show yourself (or a friend/relative).

Beginnings

A New Year is here so taking inspiration from that show us some Trek Art related to new Beginnings. It could be inspired by something from the start of your favourite series or show us the beginning of a new mission, the introduction of a new character, ship or family member.

Where My Heart Is, Beyond Antares (nice! using a lyric)

How do characters/species show their love for each other? Friends, parents and kids, true loves...anything you want.

80s Animated Mash!
A mash-up of a classic (or obscure) 1980s animation with the 80s Star Trek crew/show/movie of your choice - 2280s TOS Movies or 2380s Lower Decks and Prodigy. (And there's always the Short Trek "Children of Mars", snippets from DS9: "The Visitor" and PIC, amongst other bits & bobs.)

Tall Tales
Or, a funny thing happened on the way to Delta Vega. Dedicated to those adventures that are the most bizarre and unbelievable, the ones where if you described them to someone they'd reckon you'd done a little too much LDS - Abraham Lincoln floating in space, holograms taking over the Enterprise, being shrunk to the size of a toy, evolving into a lizard?! Or perhaps you can think of something even weirder than those we've seen on the show.

Fighting Stance
Show hand-to-hand combat at its best and worst - honorable surrender, self-sacrifice, using someone as human/alien shields, no mercy, knock down drag out, fancy footwork, anything goes!

We're All Friends At This Table
Depict characters from different backgrounds forgetting their differences, crew of a ship coming together, cooking being a universal language, enemies declaring a truce, etc. all centered around eating and drinking.

Timekeeping
We know our Starfleet crews get themselves into all sorts of temporal scrapes, but how do they (and other galactic citizens) tell the time wherever they are? Apart from stardates, the odd PADD/viewscreen display, Sisko's Saltah'na clock, and a couple of "antique" 20th century watches, what do contemporary timepieces look like in the Star Trek time periods? Especially those from worlds other than Earth? After all, not everywhere has a 24 hour day...

[THE NEUTRAL ZONE]

Not Good Enough
Art inspired by unpopular episodes.

[THE NEUTRAL ZONE]

Remember, you can choose THREE!!!

Thanks for voting, have fun! :bolian:

I've gone for the same three as last time, and for pretty much the same reasons: Where My Heart Is, Beyond Antares, 80s Animated Mash! and Tall Tales.

I've voted for Transporter Malfunctions since @Orac first suggested it back in September, but I really like your Tall Tales, @Starscape, and I think it could encompass a bizarre transporter-related incident (or two) along with many other weird and wonderful scenarios (strange creatures in a Menagerie, perhaps?). So, that's why both TMs didn't get a vote from me this time.
I think @Laura Cynthia Chambers's "Where My Heart Is, Beyond Antares" is a wonderful tonic to some of the angst and misery and destruction going on in the world right now (and in certain areas of Trek), and I can't get Lower Decks/Ulysses 31 out of my head which is why I also voted for my own 80s Animated Mash theme (80s AM is the only theme I have an actual idea for, at the mo) :)

I kind of hope that We're All Friends At This Table comes up, as I'm curious to see which characters people will feature.

Voting for all my three would likely not help the results, so I'm just going to vote for 80's Animated Mash! this time.

Still a few days to vote everyone. :techman:

The poll is closed and last month's runner-up is now April's winning Theme. And it is:

80s Animated Mash!
A mash-up of a classic (or obscure) 1980s animation with the 80s Star Trek crew/show/movie of your choice - 2280s TOS Movies or 2380s Lower Decks and Prodigy. (And there's always the Short Trek "Children of Mars", snippets from DS9: "The Visitor" and PIC, amongst other bits & bobs.)

It's full-on nostalgia time for some of us, back to the realms of our childhood TV. And hopefully there's some classic series that have stood the test of time that'll interest those for whom the 1980s aren't even a dim, distant memory, quite a few have even been rebooted in recent years.

Ideas for entries immediately turn to cartoon or animation, but we could also have CG models inspired by the 80s mash-up or maybe even a photoshopped meet-up of characters in a "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" style.
:bolian:

And there's still a little more time to get your entries in for March's Blueprints Challenge, too.

Yay!!! :hugegrin:

a photoshopped meet-up of characters in a "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" style
~ What a great idea! I read the other day that when he was told about the upcoming Strange New Worlds/Lower Decks crossover episode, Anson Mount thought it would be done in the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" style. (It's not, apparently)

^^ That news story might just be where the kernal of that idea came from. I do wonder how they're going to accomplish that cross-over or how the Lower Deckers will avoid wrecking the timeline with "Spoilers!" :D

Another thought about the challenge, could 80s Animation also include stop-motion animation? For example, Bertha - the original Industrial Replicator. Well, the brief does mention "obscure"... ;)

Surprisingly, I think I actually have early idea for this challenge and no, it's doesn't involve Bertha.

Anyway, the suggestion thread for May's Theme is up here:
https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/may-art-challenge-suggest-your-themes.313719/

Another thought about the challenge, could 80s Animation also include stop-motion animation? For example, Bertha - the original Industrial Replicator. Well, the brief does mention "obscure"... ;)
~ [affects hoity-toity voice and puts monocle in] I shall allow it.

Hah hah haa! Big Bertha! That brings back some memories...

Back