Anyone rewatching any old shows during quarantine?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kirby, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

The Lost Saucer

Ninja'd

RPOW0614 likes this.
  2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The wife an I are watching Babylon 5.

Throughout season 1 an 2, I was apologising for the shittiness, that I didn't notice before in the 90s, since all B5 had to do to be awesome back then was be just a little better than sliders or Space above and beyond.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Hey SAAB was a good show.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  4. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I am consistently stunned at how badly some shows from the early-to-mid 1990s have aged, particularly sci-fi shows. Except for the Star Trek shows and maybe The X-Files, they often looked like they were doing the bare minimum that they could get away with while still being allowed on TV. I suppose seaQuest looked OK but that show was just so cripplingly dull!

5. The Borgified Corpse

Here I am slagging off on the '90s and now something has to re-remind me that the '70s exist!:brickwall::nyah::whistle:

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  6. Gingerbread Demon

The girl that played the babysitter was 29 at the time this was filmed.

What shocked me was just how easy they run off into the saucer... Like WTF

7. The Borgified Corpse

Was that a problem in the 1970s? Is that the reason why my '80s childhood was so inundated with Stranger Danger PSAs?

8. Gingerbread Demon

Who knows?
    We had those all through primary school and near the start of high school.

9. The Borgified Corpse

So many people from the 1970s go through life thinking that their missing friends were abducted by pedophiles or died of drug overdoses or something. Little did they realize that they just ran off with the first space aliens to wave at them.

10. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

Initially, got caught up on a lot of movies I had purchased on DVD or BD that I just never seemed to have enough time to sit down and watch.

Then watched True Blood. First couple of seasons were different, fun and creative. Later seasons were somewhat disappointing but I had to see it through.

Now watching the updated Battlestar Galactica. Always wanted to buy this series but was never sure it would hold up well to repeated viewings. Just finished season 2, episode 14 and I'm loving it. I recall that season 3 and season 4 don't quite measure up to the excellent first two seasons, but we'll see.

Probably watch Deep Space Nine after that.

11. Gingerbread Demon

I was given season 1 to 4 of The Magicians and fuck I can't even finish season 1...... It's a struggle. I really thought I'd like this but nope

12. The Borgified Corpse

Your enthusiasm has held out longer than mine. I distinctly remember Season 2, episode 11 being the one that deflated my enthusiasm. The resolution to the mid-season cliffhanger was just too anticlimactic for me. I've been catching some bits of Season 3 on COMET and it's actually pretty good in places. There's actually a lot of Season 3 that's excellent. There's just a lot of padding there too. I still have the last half of Season 4 sitting on my shelf, still in its shrinkwrap from 10 years ago. I just have never been able to bring myself to finish it. I dislike too many of the characters. And my favorite character is Baltar, the one that I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to like, because he seems to be the only one aware of how messed up he is. Which characters do you like?

13. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

To me, they all have their ups and downs. If forced to pick favorites, I'd probably go with Adama, Tigh (he's just such a mess), Tyrol and Baltar. So and so on Apollo. Not a fan of Roslin or Starbuck, but every now and then they have their moments.

When I watched nuBSG first run, I certainly found it flawed but miles above most TV shows. With so much junk currently on the tube, I still find it better than most.

14. The Borgified Corpse

I didn't start to like Col. Tigh until Season 3. It put him through the wringer but he surprisingly came back stronger for it.

I absolutely despise Roslin & Starbuck, which ended up making me like Adama & Apollo a lot less. Any man who would put up with Starbuck's fickleness is barely a man at all.

15. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

My brother and his wife both do the remote work thing these days due to the pandemic, and Wednesday is the one day where their schedules overlap, so I've pitched in by watching my nephews that day.

This week, I introduced them to Knight Rider. :D

Now I'm doing a rewatch, trying to identify episodes that we can watch together (the kids are 6 and 3, and there's certain things their parents don't want them to see, even on a show like this that's pretty clean). Ow, ow, twist my arm. :p

If anyone's wondering, the episode we watched together was "Slammin' Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular" — I picked it because there's no body count, there's some cool car and motorcycle stunts, and (not that the kids would appreciate this) there's a pre-Trek Marc Alaimo as one of the bad guys.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Salty.

It's a pun.

Clue numero uno that he's fake.

17. Gingerbread Demon

I kept hoping against all hope that Roslin was one of the hidden Cylons then they'd have an excuse to space her.

18. The Borgified Corpse

She was, for a long time, my guess as to who the final Cylon would turn out to be. And because the show seemed to think that she was such a noble leader (:rolleyes::barf2:), I figured that they would use that as the final cudgel to tell us that the Cylons were really the good guys this whole time or something like that.

Did Laura Roslin ever win a single election? She originally became president thanks to being Secretary of Education while all 40-something people ahead of her died. (And didn't she only become Secretary of Education because she was schtupping President Adar?) She then lost reelection to Baltar at the end of Season 2. Then when Baltar went missing after the events of New Caprica, Vice-President Zarek was supposed to take over but Admiral Adama staged a bloodless coup to put Roslin back in charge. For someone who is supposed to represent civilization & democracy, the democratic process hasn't been particularly kind to her. (Or am I missing something?)

Also, I never understood why they all hated Tom Zarek so much. I think it was suggested that he was some kind of terrorist before the fall of the 12 Colonies but I don't remember that very clearly. He certainly never struck me as any kind of madman.

19. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Before the fall, Zarek was a political activist who turned to terrorism, blowing up a building on Sagittaron.

20. Gingerbread Demon

I was given a copy of Caprica...... It's been sitting on a shelf gathering dust, is it as good as BSG?