Anyone remember "Almost Live"?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Goji, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Almost Live" was a sketch comedy show that was locally produced in Seattle in the 80s and 90s. It also had a very brief stint on Comedy Central. I grew up in Seattle and would often catch bits of it late at night. Of course, I was 11 years old when I left Washington in 1998, so I wasn't the target audience quite yet, but I did find it pretty funny, certainly more so than the Saturday Night Live shows running at the same time (and usually either right before or right after on the channel it was shown on). The show is also somewhat famous for being the show that launched "Bill Nye the Science Guy" a PBS children's show that, unlike Almost Live, did air nationally (I think...).

With the advent of Youtube, and with some free time on my hands, I managed to find a few skits from it even though I haven't been in Washington in a decade. My favorite recurring bit, "Mind Your Manners with Billy Quan", is well represented on Youtube and it was a blast seeing them again after so many years. The bits are always the same, and usually quite dumb, but very entertaining none the less.

Anyone from the Seattle area (or the few who caught in on Comedy Central in 1992 or 1993) remember this show besides me?

2. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I grew up on the other side of the mountains in Wenatchee and generally didn't stay up that late so I don't remember watching it in person. I do know, though, that NBC in Seattle still airs it after SNL (or it did a couple years ago, not sure if they still do). I really haven't watched much of it (when I was working 1:30 am was just a little too late to be staying up, even on a Saturday) but I do know what you're talking about.

I didn't realize they were the ones that launched Bill Nye the science guy. I loved that guy when I was in middle school! Along with Wishbone those were two of my favorite pseudo-educational shows.

3. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Yup, I grew up in Gig Harbor watching Almost Live.

Fun show, I too liked it much more than Saturday Night Live.

Jokes about Ballard, Microsoft, Rain and trees never get old.

4. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I rode an aircraft carrier into Bremerton for an overhaul in 1992. Almost Live was much better than SNL had been for quite some time (and even since). IIRC, they alway made the town of Kent the butt of jokes. This show is where Bill Nye the Science Guy got his start. Who can forget the vigilante super-hero, Speedwalker?

"Heel, toe, heel, toe, heel, toe." :guffaw:

5. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bill Nye was actually a cast member of the show until he left to start his own. I was much too young to remember seeing the episodes before he left (which must have been in the very early 90s), but my dad would always remind me when I watched the Bill Nye show.