Anyone have an official source for the Acting Ensign Uniform...?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WAMTNG, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Richard Arnold, credited "Star Trek Archivist", did slideshow summaries of each season at conventions every year. I was at one when he pointed out to the audience that the three stripes of the official division colours were deliberately selected to indicate it was his uniform. (But, until then, Starfleet didn't have an "acting ensign" uniform, so it was probably designed just for Wesley.)

WAMTNG likes this.
  2. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

JoseNoodles likes this.
  3. Therin of Andor

Guy Vardaman, who took over "Star Trek Archivist" duties after Richard Arnold was dumped, was a consultant on "Star Trek" facts for the "Fact Files".

4. Mres_was_framed!

Mres_was_framed! Captain Captain

That is actually an important good point on this topic, most first officer's we've seen up to TNG also have some other job.

Yes. I agree with that; this is something fans should get to see.

It does not speak well for the rank system of these uniforms that Valeris rank went unnoticed by me even in a close up. Is that Ensign, rather than LT, then?

EDIT: I took another quick look at ST:6 and see that she had LTCMDR ranks on. Curiously, this reflects the fact that Tuvok is called Lieutenant while wearing LTCMDR ranks on early episodes of Voyager.

Even more curious is the fact that in ST:6, the helmsman is in sciences (blue?/grey?) not white. Since I have read it is generally accepted that any detail differences between ST:6 and "Flashback" are that "Tuvok simply did not remember things correctly," then I guess this example of an officer in a white sweater can be discounted.

In a way that is unfortunate as an LT helmsman 1st officer would be like "The Cage," in my view, and help imply that in this system there are few officers that would wear white, most roles having been assigned to wear blue/grey or gold. (The helmsman is also a LTCMDR in ST:6)

I did find one enlisted crewmember with a white sleeve stripe. I would suggest he is the Captain's yeoman, based on the fact that Kirk's yeoman wore white in ST:5. We know that men in the position can be common, from "The Cage"

Interestingly, in ST:6, Valtane wears a blue?/grey? sweater but his jacket flap is white...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  5. WAMTNG

WAMTNG Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow - thanks so much for this, and just in time, too, as the WAM for "The Battle" runs in just five hours time. I'm amending the text accordingly, and I'll include a thank you for you at the end of the newsletter. Many, many thanks!

6. Therin of Andor

Richard’s comments were often repeated in his lettercol of the Official Fan Club magazine. The questions asked at conventions were FAQs and they're often asked again and again in letters as well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    WAMTNG likes this.
  7. WAMTNG

WAMTNG Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks again for your help! It pleases me that the fanbase still has lore that is beyond the reach of the internet's borg-like powers of assimilation. ;) Here's the WAM for "The Battle" in case you missed it:
    https://wamtng.substack.com/p/the-battle

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's worth noting that Richard Arnold was infamous for sometimes acting like his own opinions were fact, and forcing changes based on what he thought Trek should be. (A fan with a sense of entitlement? Say it ain't so! ;))

That's not at all to say he wasn't correct about the clothing intent, just that I think you're wise to have referenced it with an "apparently".