Anyone Else Unhappy With the Post Nemesis Novels & Direction of ST?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dayton3, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Re: Anyone Else Unhappy With the Post Nemesis Novels & Direction of ST

See, I'm the opposite. I like the new characters fine, it's the older ones I'm done with. Love Worf (the dude just keeps getting better) and I'm happy as a clam with Riker and Troi in Titan. Riker has really come into his own as a captain. But Picard, Beverly, and LaForge... too much of the old thing.

2. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

/\Agreed except about Worf,Transfusion-boy doesn't deserve to be first officer of the Enterprise IMO.
    But yeah,been there,done that....let it die in peace.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I dunno. I think we saw some interesting stuff from Picard in the Destiny trilogy; I'm looking forward to Losing The Peace before I decide that the TNG relaunch doesn't have potential. That said, I hadn't liked it at all until Destiny, and I don't really think either the new or old characters are terribly compelling by comparison to DS9-R, Titan, NF, Vanguard, and even the Voyager relaunch post Full Circle. I don't like Trys at all, Kadohata is fine but not particularly interesting, Geordi and Crusher are indeed going absolutely nowhere... I like Choudhury quite a bit, but that's pretty much it.

I'm so much a fan of every single other ongoing series, though, including the ENT relaunch, that it annoys me that I haven't found much to like in TNG. I'm really hoping LTP changes my mind.

4. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Really? You didn't like Q&A? That seems to be the one most people have near-universal praise for, especially seeing as how it's the one book in the series without the Borg in it (I mean, I liked Greater Than The Sum too, but if you had Borg fatigue I could see not enjoying it much)...

5. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I liked Q & A, but felt it was shot down by Before Dishonor. I really liked poor Leybenzon, then Peter David pretty much turned him into a raving maniac. *sigh*

6. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Gee, no pressure there.... :eek:

The TNG "relaunch", for good and/or for ill, is a multi-author affair. Each author brings something different to the table, be it their feel for the characters, their sense of humor, their affinity for hard or soft sf, their "fanwank" tendencies, etc. I can only ask that haven't been happy with the series to now give LTP a chance, and hope that those who do take that chance end up believing it was a good choice.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Remind me - irritating Vulcan?

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Were you reffering to Trys who's half Vulcan?

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trys or T'Lana?

10. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Tactical officer. Choudhury and Worf are sweeties.

11. Fireflywyo300

Fireflywyo300 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hell no I'm not happy with the direction Trek is going!

I can't find book 4 of the DS9 Mission Gamma Series (and they won't be doing a book like "Haunted Seas".) :scream:

Secondly, I'm totally ticked off that new Enterprise books are taking so damn long to get get published. This one Enterprise book a year thing is killing me.
    *Claps hands* "Come on people! Come on! Get it together!"

Other than that I'm loving Enterprise, Destiny was awesome, Vanguard ROCKS and I'm looking forward to whats next.

Well done to all the authors! :techman:

P.S. I don't like Ezri Dax or the Aventine.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I finished Book 2 yesterday and realized, to my horror, that it's become water-damaged (not drool, but proximity to a folded, wet umbrella, I think) while being carried around on public transport - and Mr. Mint Condition, First Edition will be off to buy a new copy this week.

The book I fell asleep over, and accidentally drooled upon, was "War Drums", but it's a mistake I've tried not to repeat. (Yeah, TMI.)

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Meh. It was cute, but kind of underdeveloped as a story (felt more like a short story), and as was said, Leybenzon was ruined and Kadohata is still pretty boring, so it didn't go anywhere either. It definitely made me laugh, it was an enjoyable read, but it felt like a diversion from a bigger story (which it was), and so still doesn't make me think more highly of the series as a whole.

14. Vestboy

Vestboy Captain Captain

I agree. I thought Q&A was the strongest of the TNG Relaunches so far... but that's essentially grading on a curve. I am looking forward to Losing The Peace, though. Now that the Enterprise crew seems to have settled, I want to see where they will go with it.

15. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

What? I thought Q & A was insipid and the ending especially was a letdown. Keep that kind of crap in the New Frontier series where it can't drag down anything else with it.

16. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not try an ebook?

I don't like Ezri either...

I will say that while I don't entirely care for all the directions the Post Nem. novels have gone, there is enough to make me curious, so I won't pass them all by default.

17. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

Having read a few more of the books since I last ran past this thread, I would have to say that I'm a little burnt out on the 'modern' era. I have to agree that Destiny was very good as a series, but for whatever reason 'Singular Destiny' didn't grab me and keep me hooked. I know it's almost an interlude and setting things up, but compared to 'Over A Torrent Sea' it was lacking a hook or an edge.

Pretty much for the time being I'm just going to go back to where I was 18 months ago and that was trying to keep up on the DS9 re-launch as it lurches along in fits and starts while Titan and Vanguard become the core of my Trek reading.

It's hard to say why I cycle in and out of Trek books but am relatively consistent with some other spin-off series. At least nothing (to my mind) has come along that was as bad as "Engines of Destiny".

18. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

I am quite happy with the new unified direction of the books. I have always liked the big interwoven ongoing stories. That's why DS9 was my favorite series.
    I am reading all of the series at the moment. I even read Full Circle, which after the blandness of Homecoming, convinced me to read Voyager books again.

19. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, when it comes to the fact they're "unified" as ^ you put it, I'm thrilled...

I guess, with DS9PF and SCE being the core of my own reading, I'm missing a lot of what people don't like? And the lurching of the DS9 thing wasn't intentional, we'll get 2 this year, and hopefully it'll be regular now.

20. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..

As long as I get my NES and the Soul Key I'll be one happy chap.

I actually liked Q&A but then I can see why people may thing the ending is a bit...silly?

To answer the OP, on the whole I have no problem with the current direction especially now that the Borg are gone. The only problem is finding copies of the actual books in question. (I still have not read ASD for example)