Any news on the TMP Director's Edition 4K?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Kelvin2019, Dec 5, 2019.

1. PhotoBoy

PhotoBoy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was reading this: https://forgottentrek.com/redesigning-the-walk-to-vger/ the other day and noticed a little beyond halfway down it mentions that the models used for the wing walk sequence were very simple. It might mean for a 4K remaster they would have to do a bit of work to add detail. Hopefully it’s not a sign all of the CG work would need updating as that might affect the affordability of the project.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

They should go back to the plate photography of the actual actors and toss the CGI figures.

Qonundrum and PhotoBoy like this.
  3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It might be worth renting, if the price were lower, but too many times we've all read the news articles of people buying an intangible product has had it changed in ways the customer did not expect or was properly warned of, or it vanished yet the customer does not get their money back.

Kor likes this.
  4. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This may be something. I saw this embedded on the Digital Bits website and its available on You Tube. I didn't watch it all, it seemed to be somewhat dry technical stuff to me about Dolby Atmos, but just after the 2.40 mark the gentleman being interviewed talks about remastering the sound for presumably an upcoming TMP re-release.
    Here's the video in context:
    https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/071320-1500

5. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Some pessimists are saying that they re mixing the musical score again for yet another release of the Musical soundtrack and it doesn't have anything to do with remastering the entire soundtrack of the movie for high-definition release.
    I hope they're wrong

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My expectation for this happening is now very low. Maybe 10% chance?

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Based on?

All the movie studios are looking for ways to supplement the trickle of new COVIDSafe product being made. Remastering to 4K of the content of their libraries seems better that 10% to me.

8. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Don't be so sure about that. I know for a fact this project isn't dead.

MFB likes this.
  9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Based on a flurry of activity and feedback down to nothing. Plus ViacomCBS is investing so much in new Trek now, it seems unlikely to fund legacy projects.

RAMA

10. Grant

"I know for a fact" -- means absolutely nothing. Are we to assume you are sworn to secrecy?

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Hahahahaha. As if he'd tell you. ;)

Since the last flurry, we have had Covid-19 lockdowns. CBS/Paramount still need cashflow and making new movies and TV is now way more difficult. But all of a studio's funds are in separate compartments. They don't necessarily ignore restoration of library material in favour of making new material.

It is almost always bang for bucks.

12. Grant

It's hard to tell anybody when there's actually no information.
    But I do agree that the lack of new movies coming out in either theaters or on home video increases the likelihood of more catalog titles such as the Star Trek movies.

13. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Correct. Out of respect to my source, all I can say is that things were progressing at least when I heard this back in late February.

Smellmet likes this.
  14. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

From Mike Matessino: "Bruce was referencing Dolby Atmos Music here. He used a piece of Star Trek TMP as a demo for the format.

https://www.dolby.com/music/"

Neil

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Grant likes this.
  15. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for the update.

16. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

If you look on his Facebook page, Adam Lebowitz posted about remastering DS9 in HD and how it makes sense to do so. His costing says that a DS9 remaster could be done for the same money as4 episodes of DSC.

He is a VFX supervisor with an Emmy for his work on BSG and he worked on the DE. In the comments, someone asked about TMP. He implied the project wasn’t dead, but that Covid 19 wasn’t helping.

Here’s the quote:
    David there are rumbles, but that's all I can say. Covid isn't helping.

Personally, I’d like a decent print of STVI.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020