Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Hard to say given most of the Marvel films to date have been some variation on "action-comedy". Iron Man 1-3, both Thors and (from the looks of things) the upcoming GotG are all very tongue in cheek. Even the Incredible Hulk, the Cap movies & Avengers had a few good gags.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

If the reports are true it doesn't sound like Disney was worried about too much humor, but rather that they were worried the lead character was too morally ambiguous and they wanted the film to tie in more strongly with the Avengers.

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

According to this article, Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn has been allegedly tapped to replace Edgar Wright on Ant-Man.

I'm not sure if I believe this - even though it would make sense for Marvel to hire from within the company. Gunn is busy in post-production on Guardians and juggling pre-production/filming on another big-budget superhero property seems like a lot to take on for a relatively inexperienced filmmaker like Gunn. While I would be happy with the decision, since I think Gunn is actually very talented, I think the gig will go to someone who isn't knee-deep in post-production on another film.

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too bad Joss is too busy to take it on.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Hollywood Reporter is saying there are three directors in the mix to step in and take over: Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer.

7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, still sounds like it'll play more towards comedy if their past works are any indication.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Adam McKay?

Well. They aren't nervous about making it a comedy. Or, at least, very comedic... because why McKay if you were making a serious movie...

I think his movie the Other Guys is quite good... I'd be onboard with him.

9. JacksonArcher

I think Adam McKay would be the best choice of the three. He's worked with Paul Rudd before and he knows comedy. Ruben Fleischer would be interesting. He would be my second choice. He can handle action/comedy (as proven with Zombieland).

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So who is playing naked Carol Danvers that Antman is watching loofah herself raw in a shower?

(Yes, something that actually happened.)

If you want this not to be a comedy.

Do this as the opening 30 seconds:

Voice over from Paul Rudd "It seemed like a good idea"

Slow motion image of Paul's fist connecting with Rashida's face.

Voice over from Paul Rudd "It seemed like the best idea."

Slow motion image of Paul's fist connecting with Rashida's face from a different angle.

Vice over from Paul Rudd "In the history of good ideas, this was my my second best."

Slow motion image of Paul's fist connecting with Rashida's face from yet a another different angle.

Voice over from Paul Rudd "What was best for the universe than giving this ##### exactly what she deserved."

Slow motion image of Paul's fist connecting with Rashida's face from yet a different angle.

Voice over from Paul Rudd, "Well I don't mean to brag but I built the robot that destroyed the world. Took every member of humanity on the planet and chucked them into a furnace. So yes technically that had greater global ramifications maybe, but on a personal level I never felt as awesome as the day I detached my wife's retina."

Rashida on the ground screaming in pain, Paul dancing around her in victory.

Voice over from Paul Rudd "But I'm getting ahead of myself. Way ahead of myself, lets star at the beginning..."

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Wrap is reporting that Rawson Marshall Thurber is the frontrunner to direct Ant-Man.

Edit to add: now AICN is saying that Adam McKay is in final talks to take over as director. He has a history with Paul Rudd, having directed the Anchorman movies.

Edit to add again: and now Adam McKay is out. From The Hollywood Reporter:

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  12. JacksonArcher

This just in: Ant-Man pulls out of Ant-Man movie.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

At this point, I almost want Marvel to pull out of the Ant Man movie.

14. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

It seems to me like Edgar Wright's involvement was the only reason anybody was ever even excited about an Ant-Man movie.

I think at this point, they should just can it and make Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, or Doctor Strange instead.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Movies don't work that way. Either they make an Ant-Man movie or they don't make an Ant-Man movie, but what they can't do is replace Ant-Man with another movie. If Ant-Man doesn't get made, you'll have Age of Ultron in May 2015 and the next movie in May of 2016.

16. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

^ Obviously, a different movie wouldn't be able to make that same release date (although rumor has it Marvel already has scripts for all of the characters I mentioned), but they could probably squeeze another non-sequel into phase 3 at a later point if they don't make Ant-Man.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'd be down for a Captain Marvel (I'm assuming they won't be using the Ms. Marvel moniker for Carol anymore) movie with Elisha Cuthbert as Carol.

18. JacksonArcher

Marvel has already spent a decent amount with pre-production. There is crew already in Atlanta waiting to start principal photography, there's an entire cast waiting to begin filming, etc. To pull the plug would be the loss of a sizable investment already, which Marvel won't do. We'll be getting this movie in 2015 one way or another - it might get delayed, it might be crappy, but we're getting it regardless.

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never seen an Edgar Wright movie so it really makes no difference to me.

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Get thee to Shaun of the Dead!