Anovos Star Trek TOS Tunics

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by AshGL1914, Feb 9, 2011.

1. AshGL1914

AshGL1914 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Me too. I don't know what I'm going to do when the window for the Monster Maroons opens.

John

p.s. Oh, and Capt. April, as for the green wrap...:whistle:

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

3. AshGL1914

Officialy...I know nothing. Unofficialy? That's something else.

John

4. AshGL1914

I love this photo manipulation that was posted on Anovos' facebook page last week. I love really love the command look for some reason. I guess I'm biased.
    [​IMG]

John

5. Captain Robert April

If you wanna make some ladies happy, make the version with pants.

6. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Yeah, miniskirts are for young ladies. Those of us who are middle-aged are better off with a longer skirt, or with slacks.

7. AshGL1914

8. AshGL1914

Alright everybody...looks like March it is then! :)

This was posted this morning at http://www.anovos.com/ !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Captain's Chair thread on the Yuku forum is the awesomest prop thread on the Internet. Totally amazing, and you can see the whole progress of research as it happened.

I know the guy that ANOVOS actually consulted with before making final decisions on the material for the TOS tunics, and saw some of the material. They're making every effort to get this right.

10. AshGL1914

I know...finalllly QUALITY ( good night Rubies!), LICENSED, TOS uniform replicas that people can buy without getting ripped off.

John

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The big ads w/ Kirk, Spock and Uhura show velour tops, while the company is re-producing the 3rd season polys.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Interesting point about the "poly-ribbed neck" - the original collars from the first couple of years were constructed from a "spring weave" knit. Did they do a ribbed version eventually?

13. Captain Robert April

Definitely by the second season, possibly sometime in the mid to late first season.

14. AshGL1914

Actually, quoting James Cawley from an old post at one of the costuming boards...

So with that in mind, here is a picture of Kirk in SPOCK'S BRAIN with a springweave collar...

[​IMG]

and a picture from WHOM GODS DESTROY in which Kirk is wearing the nylon rib trim.

[​IMG]

Both tunics are third season DN, but with both versions of the collar fabric.

John

p.s. By the way, current manufactured springweave has modern elastics in it, so while looking the same as original springweave, it holds it's elasticity better. Here's a close-up of the springweave in the collar of my 1st/2nd season tunic. I hope that whenever Anovos gets around to 1st & 2nd season tunics they go with springweave.
    [​IMG]

15. Admiral Buzzkill

So poly ribbing wasn't used at all for the first two years (much less "definitely") - but since they're doing the third season version of the tunics with the doubleknit then poly ribbing is screen accurate.

16. AshGL1914

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, the collars were pretty ugly in the first two or three episodes filmed - check out Sulu in "The Corbomite Manuever." They were having shrinkage problems with the shirt material and probably with the collars as well.

18. AshGL1914

Yeah, Spock and Sulu's "ascots" were both pretty bad. And in Corbomite, you can see the WHITE, and HUGE "hidden zipper" on Sulu's tunic. :)

John

19. Captain Robert April

I was just referring to the ribbing, not whether or not the material was poly.

20. AshGL1914

Oh I don't think the material composition was in question, just which style was used and when; ribbed, or springweave. That's all.;)

John