Annie Wersching Has Died

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jan 29, 2023.

1. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

Very sad. Far too young.
    And, in my opinion, the best borg queen we've had so far.

2. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Goddamn.

3. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

This is really sad. Rest in Peace.

4. Happy Hopping

Happy Hopping Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wonder what type of cancer it is. I wonder if it's breast cancer.

Jonathan Frakes ($1K) and Jeri Ryan ($500) both donated to her GoFundMe page, among other actors / actresses. I thought she makes good money being an actress, I am surprise her children still needs GoFundMe

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would depend on what her medical bills were like. Cancer treatments are not cheap, so things like that can take a lot of time and money to manage, even with insurance. The other side is that even if she had some savings there is still a longer term future to plan around until things stabilize. Every little bit helps.

6. Happy Hopping

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those networth sites are never accurate

8. fireproof78

I would not trust the networth websites for one, and for two not all types of cancer treatment are covered. And three, what would her cost of living be? Lots of factors that we don't know to assume that she has enough in the bank for her family to survive while mourning.

9. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Acting careers are very ephemeral and competitive (and entertainment got nuked by Covid), and Wersching's life and career was cut decades short (so messed with family savings) and US health "care" is a fucking racket, LA has gotten unlivable, so I understand donations.

And my father nearly died from a serious stroke the year before and now in a nursing home (I think through causing delays in diagnoses and inflicting general societal shock, the Covid waves seemed to have indirectly exacerbated heart attacks, strokes, cancers, and other chronic or terminal maladies).

I can think of at least a couple of named actors who died abruptly from cancer fairly young in their 40s and early 50s in an apparant mini-spike.

10. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

RIP.

Gone too soon.

11. Happy Hopping

why is LA has gotten unlivable?

12. TedShatner10

In terms of owning or renting a home to start with.

13. fireproof78

Average rent is nearly 3 grand a month, with average monthly income around 6 grand. And the price of housing is going up constantly. Never mind the cost of everything going up, and the unemployment rate at 11%. And here's a wonderful screen shot of the taxes in California.

Yeah, I'm glad I moved away from LA.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  14. TedShatner10

Yeah, California's suburban middle class "Golden Age" from the 1940s to 1980s is over (then the societal/segregation problems, environmental problems, and economic extraction since the Rodney King Riots started to slowly bite).

15. Happy Hopping

I agree w/ the environmental problem, I don't know why your state keeping having no water and other states doesn't have this problem. Now, what on earth does Rodney King Riot has anything to do w/ econ. extraction

16. TedShatner10

We're going off track here, but things like Proposition 13 had unintended consequences, etc.

17. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

:(

Danja likes this.
  18. TedShatner10

While it was Annie Wersching's and family's decision to make, her keeping her cancer battle secret makes me wonder how and why she died (I'm guessing a digestive system or cervical cancer in her case, being very, very hard to diagnose in the early stages and being very aggressive in relatively young adults in their 30s/40s).

Plus, sounding too selfish or judgemental here, news of her sudden death made it feel like the rug was pulled out from under me (like with Chadwick Boseman's untimely demise).

19. Happy Hopping

I am guessing at breast cancer at her age

20. TedShatner10

Yeah, breast cancer in still relatively youthful women like Annie Wersching are more prone to being far more malignant and can blunt treatment like chemotherapy, feeding off of more potent glands. Girls Aloud singer Sarah Harding also died at a similar age from aggressive breast cancer...