Anime recomendations

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Feb 5, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Over the past couple months I've started to really get into anime thanks to Hulu and Netflix watch instantly service. So far I've watched episodes of Naruto, Bleach, and one each for Darker than Black and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Now, I was just wondering if there were any anime's I should watch. This is actually the second time I've gotten into anime, the first time I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, and a few episodes of Lupin the III.

2. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I'm not much of an anime fan at all, but I enjoyed the two Appleseed films.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One Piece (my personal favourite)
    Code Geass
    Gurren Lagann
    Full Metal Alchemist

4. species5618

species5618 Commodore Commodore

I don't watch anime much but a friend of mine is a pretty big fan, so I've been exposed to a fair bit--I found Samurai Champloo and Full Metal Alchemist quite entertaining.

5. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well lets start with the stuff on DVD first lol

Full Metal Panic-a mech/comedy series
    Full Metal Panic Fumoffu-a comedy series based off of the first season
    Full Metal panic The Second Raid-the third season, much more serious than the first 2
    End of Evangelion-the actual ending to evangelion
    Evangelion 1.1 You Can [not]Advance-the re-imagining of eva. id add the second movie to this but its not out yet in america (or even fansubed in a decent version:( )
    RahXephon-a show along the same lines of Evangelion. Some argue its better. i dont agree, but its a good show
    Elfen Lied-bloody anime with a chick with telekinetic powers
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya-a comedy/romance show with an interesting twist
    Kannon-romance/comedy
    Clannad-romance comedy
    Clannad After Story-romance comedy
    Ghost in the Shell 2.0-the movie SAC is based on, but remastered with some cgi tossed in
    Black Lagoon-the story of some modern day pirates
    Black Lagoon The Second Barrage-the action packed sequel to the above
    Full Metal Alchemist- a show about a couple of alchemists trying to reclaim their bodies
    Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (aka Higurashi-when they cry)-a mind fuck-need to watch to understand lol
    Mai-Hime (aka my-hime)-magical series
    Mai-Otome (aka my-otome)-a sort of remake/re-imagining of mai-hime

If you're feeling more adventurous we can talk about the stuff you can download as well :p

6. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Ditto on Champloo. Also, Cowboy Bebop.

7. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It sort of depends on what you're looking for.

But, I'll say that Aria and Planetes are the best SF series ever made. (Hyperbole ahoy!)

8. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Mmmmm Aria, the best sci-fi thats really about...well...nothing at all :lol:

9. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Aria simply because I've always wanted to see a SF series that doesn't involve any kind of conflict whatsoever. It doesn't hurt that it's also very good, as soft SF and as a shoujo slice of life series. :)

I guess there's Caprica now, but I'm so uninterested in the Battlestar Galactica "lore" that I can't watch it.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just recently discovered the BEST "anime" series ever but it is from America; Avatar the Last Airbender. I'm just starting the third season. It's wonderful! Great story, great characters, great action, great humor, moral ambiguity...

11. Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin Commander

Here's a few recommendations:

The Miyazaki films-Hayao Miyazaki is sort of the Japanese Walt Disney. His films have the best production values and probably the most crossover appeal. He did, in fact, do a Lupin movie, the Castle of Cagliostro, but is more famous for movies like Nausicca (Which inspired the Star trek alien name) Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away etc.

Bubblegum Crisis-A very 80's Cyberpunk series with elements of Terminator, Blade Runner, power rangers, and Streets of Fire. Basically, a group of four female superheroes in powered armor take on a nasty corporation and their robots.

Macross-AKA the first part of Robotech, this series is about a transforming spaceship with transforming jet fighters which is pursued by an alien race of giants across earth and space. Only the power of music can stop them. It might sound hokey, but it's actually pretty good, and spawned a lot of sequels, most notably Macross Plus.

Gundam-One of the biggest anime franchises. Although it spans several different 'universes'/timelines, Gundam's basic story usually involves a war between earth and orbiting space colonies. The war is fought by mobile suits (Giant robots), with the Gundam-sometimes a prototype suit, or a super robot-often at the front line of the war.
    Although hardly realistic and stuck on some licensing conventions, Gundam was one of the first mecha series to treat it's subject matter more seriously, and paved the way for later series such as Evangelion.
    The current Gundam series is Gundam 00, although there is an upcoming video series called Gundam Unicorn.

12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Not really -- Nausicaa is a name from Greek mythology and means "burner of ships", hence "Nausicaan pirates".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausicaa

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

JD, you should specify what kinds of stuff you're into. I could give a 100 different suggestions for a 100 different genres.

14. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

It's also one of the more relaxing series out there. One of these days I need to finish the final season

15. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, Bleach, Gundam 00.

16. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I can recommend plenty just don't be one of those anime fans that judges stuff based on looks and style alone remember there are a lot of franchises like Gundam or Macross (not Robotech) that are 20-30 years old and still churning out sequels there is definitely something to be said for that. For the mecha genre the biggies are Macross start with the Super Dimension Fortress Macross NOT Robotech the two have nothing to do with each other, other than the fact that the two shows share the same footage. For Gundam there typically is the Universal Century timeline and a bunch of alternate universes some are connected and some aren't you can start with the original movie trilogy just keep in mind it's almost as old as the original Star Wars then move on to the flashier stuff like 00 or Unicorn once you have an appreciation for how the genre got started.

17. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For starters like Clint g suggests, I'll suggest things that are probably available on DVD, TV, or streaming here in the US:

Monster (This airs Monday Nights os Sy-Fy)
    Planetes
    Haibane Renmei
    Rumbling Hearts
    When They Cry
    Infinite Ryvius
    Welcome to the NHK
    Ergo Proxy
    Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
    Kanon (2006)
    Blue Gender
    Gunslinger Girl
    Kurokami
    Aquarian Age: Sign for Evolution
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
    Cowboy Bebop
    Vision of Escaflowne
    RahXephon
    Code Geass
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (This starts airing in a few weeks on Cartoon Network's Saturday AS block)

In addition, that's also a fairly well rounded list of stuff for you to check out as far as genres go and some of my personal favorites.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  18. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Beck
    Welcome to the NHK
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Claymore
    FLCL
    Ah My Goddess
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    The Wings of Honneamise
    Trigun
    Tenchi Muyo
    Kino's Journey
    Haibane Renmei
    Berserk
    Paranoia Agent
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Perfect Blue
    Paprika
    Millennium Actress
    Ergo Proxy
    Azumanga Daioh
    Last Exile
    Le Chevalier D'Eon
    Mushi-shi
    Noein
    R.O.D The TV
    Samurai 7
    Shingu
    Texhnolyze
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Witchblade
    xxxHolic
    Wolf's Rain
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Gankutsuou
    Gunslinger Girl
    Please Teacher
    NieA Under 7
    Baccano!
    Orguss 02
    Cyber City Oedo 808
    You're Under Arrest OVAs
    Akira
    X: The TV Series
    Hellsing Ultimate

and many of those already mentioned are among some of my favourite things.

19. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  20. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Of course, you need to watch the television series Neon Genesis Evangelion first. The compilation movie, Death & Rebirth (or whatever they're calling it with all the re-edits and releases), doesn't cut it.

Saying it's an "actual" ending is misleading, they're complementary. Personally, if I had to choose between the last two episodes of the series or End of Evangelion... I'd go with the the last two episodes every time.

They work best in conjunction with each other though. Some people go so far as to watch the last two episodes smack in the middle of the movie, but I think doing them separately, one after another is better. I usually finish the show first and then move on to the movie.

I'm still not ready to start recommending the new Rebuild movies, I need to see how they end it. It'll be interesting to see how they all turn out and if this whole thing was worthwhile.