AndyP's Trek building thread.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by batboy853, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

First of all, I like the table, actually. Fits the vibe of the rest of the room, is sleek, functional, and not over-designed. What problems do you feel it has?

No! Stop that kind of talk. It limits the possibilities of growth in an artistic endeavor. Sure, you may not be a strong furniture designer yet, but that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't design furniture for your own renders. Its through struggle and iteration that we become stronger at a thing. Keep going, keep practicing.

Unless of course you really just don't enjoy the process and have no desire or passion to design furniture for your projects. ;)

2. batboy853

batboy853 Commander Red Shirt

@Donny Thanks! To me it feels like it might be too thin, but when I increase the thickness it feels too thick. I might just be over thinking it because I keep staring at it. Also since it's an original design I have no real world counterpart to compare it to. For now planning on leaving it as is, but I plan on adding a small control panel at the captains seat.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 3:57 AM
    Wednesday Addams likes this.
  3. batboy853

@Firebird I definitely look to The Orville for design ideas. Aside from the bridge, the rest of the sets would fit in perfectly with an updated 24th century design aesthetic. Not that there's anything wrong with the bridge, it does contain trek elements.

Wednesday Addams and Firebird like this.
  4. Wednesday Addams

Wednesday Addams Princess of the Dark Arts Premium Member

@Donny you are a Good Guy. :adore:

batboy853 and Donny like this.
  5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Donny is right and also, there's nothing really wrong with your furniture, just keep going at it and give it your personal style. :mallory::techman:

Wednesday Addams and blssdwlf like this.
  6. batboy853

@Santaman thanks!

Minor update, added a pot filled with bamboo sticks to the room to add additional d├ęcor. Modeled one section of bamboo and then just duplicated it up along the z local x axis, rotated it, then duplicated it again repeat, then when I had a height that I wanted, I joined the duplicated objects together to create 1 pole, but did this a few times to add some variation. I also realized after the fact that most bamboo poles were thinner than how I made mine, so I adjusted the scale at the object level. This would mean that it would have distorted the scale on some of the segments, however I can live with it as it adds some variance to the shapes and sizes of the segments used.

I'm not calling the room done, but also I am at the point where I am not sure what to do next, aside from a control panel on the table. Further items such as coffee cups or padds will be added to the room when I get back into an animation phase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think these would also be great during treaty negotiations as for when the delegates get tired of talking and want to hit each other over the head... I kid. :razz:

This will probably be the last update for the week as my roommate and I are going to Wizard World this weekend. (Wizard World being 1 of 2 of the Chicago Comic Cons) We are going in TNG Season 1 uniforms, but I need to add an elastic waist to my Roommate's uniform still. I also need to make some sort of tricorder holster for his, as the 3d printed one's I ordered on ebay never arrived. I'm bummed though because we got tickets for tomorrow, and the Schedule which was difficult to find says that Shatner appears Sunday. Would have loved to see that panel. Saturday is Q&A's with the various cast members of Arrow.

7. Hawku

Hawku Captain Captain

Looking amazing. 100% would use those bamboo poles for impromptu limbo sessions.

8. batboy853

Another great use! I should find a way to work it into the dialogue of my next short, or animation.

Wednesday Addams likes this.
  9. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021 at 10:07 PM
  10. Santaman

Adding a few items to give the room some pep is a good idea, when you're back I assume you'll put in a bar and a stripper pole? :p;)

11. Wednesday Addams

Wednesday Addams Princess of the Dark Arts Premium Member

12. Firebird

Firebird Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    When did this turn into This Isn't Star Trek: A XXX Parody?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021 at 6:56 AM
    Santaman and Wednesday Addams like this.
  13. batboy853

@Donny good idea, should be an easy thing to fix, i'll take a look at it on Monday. There are a few different ways I can approach it.

@Santaman I thought about putting a table with some beverages, I think it'll be in the Captain's Ready Room. The stripper pole would fit better in Engineering. The lights from the warp core would make for a fun night club.

@Firebird I think it would be one way around the CBS Fan Film rules? (Joking of course. But it's still true?)

14. Captain pl1ngpl0ng

Captain pl1ngpl0ng Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the bamboo sticks was a good choice

batboy853 likes this.
  15. Santaman

I think a table with beverages is a good idea, I guess that you at least need coffee to stay awake if there's a long staff meeting where they have pie charts and drone on about efficiency and other stuff.
    Stripper poles in the engineroom.. hmm.. well yes, the lighting would be good there.. :angel: