'And Christine Chapel will be played by..'

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Dusty Ayres, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

It's an accurate description of the nature of the show. What's the problem with that?

Which make perfect sense if you pay attention to what he actually says rather than going with a kneejerk reaction. If you're referring to what I think you are, he said the Trek crew were "pussies" because they had replicators and turbolifts and big guns, while Serenity had protein bars and ladders and no guns. He's just saying Trek crews are completely spoiled by comparison, even in the supposedly more primitive time of ENT.

The word "pussies" may have been an unfortunate, attention-grabbing choice, but see past it to what he's actually saying. He's obviously right.

Plus, if you have any sense of Tudyk's personality, you'd know he was just joking around when he said it.

The Browncoats don't feel that way. We're just trying to go our way, mostly. There was some comparison to Enterprise----unfavorable for ENT, obviously----since they were on at the same time. But that hardly extends to Trek as a whole.

I'll grant that the people who (mysteriously) don't like Firefly sometimes get defensive, but that's not really our problem.

Well, yes, but the Browncoats wouldn't be the shocked ones. We'd be cheering. It's the anti-Firefly people who'd raise a storm if that happened.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It just seemed sort of like an insult, like they considered Trek an 'enemy' or something.

To put it another way: Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then what is the *opposite* of imitation? ;)

You don't think he'd be betraying you or anything like that?

Me, I wouldn't mind. Fillion wasn't the reason I don't like FF. As far as I'm concerned, he's just another actor.

3. Lindley

Originality. ;)

But seriously, new shows are always described in terms of existing shows. In this case, that means comparing Firefly to the two "bigwigs" of space-SF. That's why the two most commonly tossed-around descriptions were "Anti-Trek," and "Gunsmoke meets Millenium Falcon."

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Maybe we're defensive since Browncoats think it's "mysterious" that we don't like the show... :rolleyes: :p

5. Lindley

What can I say? It really is.

I mean, sometimes I can see both sides of an issue, but in this case I just can't. It's simply a show that exudes awesome in just about every scene.

6. Mr. Laser Beam