AMT Galileo Kit

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by 3danim8d, Dec 7, 2013.

1. 3danim8d

3danim8d Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Spockboy,

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to get more done on this faster and find someone that can print the decals for me on an ALPS machine so I can have white as part of the decals.

I have another sheet of custom decals for a custom BSG:TOS Viper I need printed up too.

Anyway, I ended up selling my old ERTL diecast Enterprise since I have a couple of the 1/2500 Cadet Series Enterprises so I modified the stand object I have up on Shapeways to be more useful for those that want a stand that compromises between the old FASA style bases and the R2 dome bases for the larger kits. It should work for the Enterpise B and all the small ships. If there is interest I can scale up the base to work for the C through E, though the D is difficult as top heavy as it is.[​IMG]
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/2754138/starship-stand.html?li=productGroup&materialId=6

2. 3danim8d

Spockboy,

I am very impressed with Shaw's scratch build and the new Sketchup build that has been posted recently.

3. 3danim8d

Ok, I decided to scale up the 1/2500 base a bit more and then created a test base for the 1/2500 "D".

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately I don't recall who made the two Enterprise meshes, I downloaded them sometime in 2001 (or earlier) it looks like. I just scaled them to the right size(compared to their styrene counterparts) to see how the bases would look before re-uploaded the files for potential printing.

The small stand is 2" diameter. The larger base is 3.5" diameter and has a hole for a .16" rod, which is the size of the mounts on the the 1/2500 "B", "C", and "E" kits. I need to work with Shapeways to determine what the minimum wall thickness I would need to keep the bases stable and as cost effective as possible. I am figureing on filling the body of my "D" with a wood paste or some other material that I can drill a mount location in and that will help balance the kit. The larger stand might also work for smaller 1/1400 and 1/1000 kits, but would need the hole made larger for the .225"(ish) Round2 posts. Or I could make a 3rd base that is 5" diameter with correct sized opening.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love those models!

5. 3danim8d

Ok, I just got the first prototype print from Shapeways of my 1/2500 Starship Stand.

I cracked open the 3 Enterprise kit and quickly threw the Enterprise B together and placed her on the stand and I think the scale works just right. I tried placing the E-E on the stand as I hoped it would work too, but she's a bit to nose-heavy, so she'll have to go on the larger base once I figure out how thin I can get the walls and have it still hold the E-D and not crumple.

[​IMG]

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It's all about the balance point & strength of the base.

When I turned an AMT Ent-D into a Nebula, I had to reposition the hole for the base, then remake/strengthen the base with some brass tubing.

Same with the Ent-E turned Romulan BOP.