American Horror Story Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Oct 5, 2011.

?

How Would You Grade The Episode?

1. Awesome

25.0%
  2. Above Average

54.2%
  3. Average

4.2%
  4. Below Average

8.3%
  5. Horrible

8.3%
  1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I didnt think it was awful. It answered some questions and showed more background on the other characters, like Rubber Man himself. I like Moira; she's a benevolent soul and is protective of Vivien and her well-being. She's wise and well-read. Hayden, on the other hand, is one vicious bitch of a ghost.

Next week looks even more interesting. Vivien's unborn twins are a combination of spirit and flesh.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haw. I knew Evan Peters was the only one who could be in that suit. :rommie: But if it's not Tate's evil twin, it does leave open the question of who Constance's fourth child is, unless she counts Tate as two, given his split personality.

Next week:
    Now Tate is the antichrist? Or the father of the antichrist, which makes him Lucifer? Are they going for some sacriligious plotline where Vivien's twins are Christ and antichrist?

3. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I was disappointed with the reveal of Rubber Man. I was hoping for an entirely new character. But I thought the show itself was decent. Kate Mara did a good job. At first I didn't like them killing her off, but I guess she gets more screen time now than she would if they had left her alive. It was good seeing Eric Close back, though I wish more had been done with him. I've been wondering why he hasn't shown up more.

4. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Well, the Antichrist thing was a little...odd. Constance did already tell Vivian that what she had was dark or evil or whatever in an earlier episode. Guess they ramped it up a notch this week. :lol:

5. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I don't understand why people were so absolutely surprised that it would be Tate in the suit. After all, he was wearing it in an earlier episode. Yeah, that could just be misdirection, but realistically who else would it have been?

6. Temis the Vorta

Me too, that's why I was making up shit about Tate's evil twin. :rommie: But it is pretty fun thinking about Violet's reaction when she learns the identity of her unborn sibling's real father.

Shows usually try to be a little more surprising than that. But for it to be a new actor wouldn't have the zinger aspect in the unmasking scene, and none of the characters make sense or would be a surprise.

7. Temis the Vorta

Gotta love that hospital administrator, thinking it's a great idea to call up the husband of a psychiatric patient just to make sure he knows his wife cheated on him. :rommie:

Vivien, get a lawyer, your troubles are over. Once you get that multimillion-dollar settlement, you'll be able to buy twenty mansions, none of them infested with ghosts.

8. Gryffindorian

Maybe the doctor didn't have any concept of patient confidentiality rights. :lol:

So now Travis is a ghost, too? I can't wait to find out Constance's reaction to the fact that Hayden murdered her boytoy.

I have to admit the Black Dahlia ghost seemed like an afterthought. The writers never introduced her until last night's episode. So why didn't she show up on Halloween?

I like how each of the women (ghost or not) appears to have her own motives. Moira is protective of Vivien and is very loyal to her. Constance, whatever her intentions are, wants Vivien's babies. And Hayden wants nothing more than to be rid of Vivien.

I dozed off and missed the last five minutes of the show. :(

9. Temis the Vorta

Oh the last five minutes were the best! Constance's ghost-whisperer pal (Billie) came over to chat and Constance asked about the possibility of ghosts being able to father children. Billie thought it would be unusual and then started talking about the Pope's Box, which reveals that the antichrist will be "born of flesh and spirit," which implies that the twin that Tate fathered is going to be the antichrist (without that necessarily meaning that Tate is Satan, I suppose?) I'm just waiting for Ben's child to be the Second Coming so the babies can duke it out with the fate of humanity at stake. Second season finale, perhaps?

When Ben called Luke (the security guy) over to the house to rant about his suspicions, I wonder why he didn't take the opportunity to bitch about the way people waltz into the house like it's Grand Central Station. :rommie:

And speaking of that, did Vivien and Luke ever have sex or was that a delusion or dream or what? Luke made it sound like they had.

10. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Is Tate the devil or a ghost? That is the only confusion I have with this show. In the first episode when he was scaring that girl who was bothering his GF he turned into some kind of demon, but then when I find out his story he is a mass murdering loser who is now dead.

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

well this episode they pointed out a girl ghost (Hayden and Travis) can not get pregnant but a guy ghost (Tate) can inpregnate a living woman.. kinda wierd

One thing I love about this show is you can go back over a 90 year span and introduce new characters and side stories, this week it was 1947 with the Dentist and the Actress. There could have been over a 100 people that died in that house over 90 years, thats alot of ghosts and stories. The plot point of the series is unique in that regard, can't think of any other show in the past that can have several ghost characters and have a good plot device to open bring in more.

12. Gryffindorian

The demon creature was not Tate but is believed to be Infantata, the son of Dr. Charles and Nora Montgomery who was abducted, murdered, and then returned to the Montgomerys in pieces, only to be reanimated by Charles.

13. Temis the Vorta

They've changed the traditional antichrist story somewhat so that the father of the antichrist isn't Satan but rather a ghost who is somehow serving as Satan's stand-in. I guess there are no real rules governing such things. Maybe the Pope's Magic Box can enlighten us further. :D

But I think there needs to be more to Tate than just being a ghost for him to qualify as uniquely evil enough to serve in such an exhalted role. My theory is that he's the son of Frankenbaby, who in turn was re-animated with the help of Satan, because there's sure no natural way that could have happened.

Or maybe Tate is directly the son of Satan? I could easily see Constance signing on the dotted line in return for fame and fortune, but of course people who make deals with the Devil never read the fine print...

14. Gryffindorian

The show does set its own rules when it comes to the ghosts. We know that at least the spirits assume a human form in that they're visible as well as tangible (so human they can even mate with and impregnate living persons, commit murders, be arrested by police officers, touch and throw objects, etc.). So the traditional definition of "anti-Christ" may not even apply to the story.

15. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Can anyone explain to me why FX doesn't put AHS on OnDemand a day later like most other shows are? I forgot to set the DVR (no lectures on multiple recording dates please)... :scream:

16. Temis the Vorta

I wonder if they'll ever loop back to the Sal Mineo murder...why show it if it isn't going to play an important role in the story? He wasn't killed in the house so his ghost can't show up as a recurring character (that house is getting pretty crowded anyway), but it might play a role in some plotline yet to be revealed set in the 1950s.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks like Vorta was right about Violet...

In my opinion, this show keeps on getting better and better (and more interesting). Almost every other episode there's a new development, and for the most part it doesn't seem convoluted. I think this most recent development adds another layer of complexity to the show. How are Ben and Vivian going to leave the house when they discover what happened to Violet? I have a sneaking theory that they're both going to die in that house (and that's going to just add to the long-standing occurrence of people always dying in that house).

Another theory is that at some point both Ben and Vivian die, and the show continues with a new cast of characters. The original cast can simply re-appear from time-to-time. It would give the show a creatively interesting sense of longevity. On the other hand, if the show ends prematurely, perhaps the finale could deal with Ben and Vivian coming to terms with Violet's death and having to leave with that emotional epiphany.

However, I am of the opinion that both Ben and Vivian aren't going to make it out of that house alive. Perhaps one of them might live. For some reason I can see Vivian being the only surviving member of the family but then living out the remainder of her days completely emotionally distraught over the deaths of her family (including these newborns... whatever happens of them).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  18. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

WOW! Holy crap.. So did not see that coming.. What a great episode.. A friend of mine who is a huge fan of the show had to work last night and as such, had to DVR it... It was all I could do not to spoil it for her..

So I guess I'm wondering if she's trapped in the house completely, or if it was just Tate controling reality to slow her down.

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Ben needs her to get out of the house to school and such so I can't imagine him not eventually finding out Violet is dead. Kinda stinks about Larry getting locked away, he was a cool character. So now we only have Ben, Viven, Constance and Luke left that can interact with the world outside of the house. At least on Halloween all the spirits can get out of the house for one day.

Got to say this weird little show has really grown on me.

20. Gryffindorian

I guess Violet did die after taking those pills ... Another revelation (at least for me) was that Larry wasn't a ghost like the others. I was starting to question his nature when he would just constantly pop in and out of the house.

I felt that Constance really owned this episode, thanks to Jessica Lange's fine performance as usual. She was indignant when the two detectives suspected her of Travis' murder when she felt like a victim after having lost Addie and now, Travis. Best line: "Those Koreans. They're so suspicious now, especially after Hiroshima." Then she accidentally dropped the kitchen knife she used to threaten Larry in front of the cops. :guffaw: God, I love that woman!