All 755 live-action episodes ranked

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by BoTWoT, Jun 1, 2021.

1. BoTWoT

BoTWoT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's a wonderful sentiment. But I'm not ranking 60's nostalgia, I'm ranking Star Trek. Overall, in 755 episodes there's MUCH better Trek. Just my opinion. When ranking episodes, one of the biggest thing I ask is,"What does this add to the franchise?" The answer with this one...nothing.

2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I never found Sub Rosa particularly bad - it's one of many energy beings, one of many seducing villains, it needs its victims to survive...

BoTWoT likes this.
  3. BoTWoT

While still allowing them to live to a nice ripe age, and "taking care of their needs" in the process. I feel kinda bad for Ronnin in the end. Centuries of being an integral part of Clan Howard, and like most everything else that isn't a disease that needs to be cured by the end of an episode, Beverly screws that all up!

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's fine. To me, TOS is its own separate thing that stands on its own, apart from the rest of the franchise. :shrug:

Kor

BoTWoT and fireproof78 like this.
  5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what that means. In terms of world-building? Character development? Serialized arc plots? Entertainment value?

The way I see it, the worst thing a Trek episode can be is boring or forgettable. Whether it "adds to the franchise" doesn't really matter as long as it's fun and engaging in its own right: because it's dramatic, or or heart-breaking, or scary, or funny, or whatever. And, honestly, sometimes even the nuttier episodes, like "Threshold" or "Sub Rosa" or "Genesis," are more memorable and entertaining than any number of staider, less ridiculous eps.

One of the great things about Star Trek, IMO, is that the format is flexible enough to accommodate lots of different kinds of stories: courtroom dramas, topical allegories, morality plays, war stories, spy stories, tragic romances, out-and-out farces, and even, maybe, a spooky Halloween tale.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This. It is my favorite idea of Star Trek is that it is a sand box type world, not a puzzle with one set picture.

7. BoTWoT

It can mean any of the things you just said. But, for me, I guess, it doesn't contain ANY of the questions you just asked. Here's what I mean by, "What does it add to the Trek franchise?" It means that, in my personal opinion, it's more watchable than Spock's Brain, BUT...objectively as a reviewer, it doesn't "feel" like Star Trek, but Spock's Brain does. As we've also been talking about today, Sub-Rosa is a BAD episode, but feels like just enough Trek. This is bad for the 60's, it's bad as Star Trek, and it's bad as a halloween story. I said in the intro to my first episode I'd be doing reranking and talking about viewer feedback. I agree with you, that even ridiculous stories can be good. For me "The Thaw" is one of the best episodes of Voyager, but I can understand why I've seen people say it's the worst episode in all of Trek. I had no idea that this one, out of everything would rile so many people up! Objectively, the best I could do is move it about 4 up the list below Spock's Brain, but I'll definitely be mentioning how much the fans loved this hokey story about bird puppets LARPing!

8. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

As a big Halloween fan, I also enjoy "CATSPAW" immensely. I also love "THE THAW", though my wife hates that episode.

Everything can be boiled down to a phrase my grandfather would say a lot when he was alive... different strokes for different folks.

I will also say there are extremely few episodes in the franchise that are truly garbage and are undefendable. I can count them on one hand and likely have fingers left over.

Commander Troi, BoTWoT and Greg Cox like this.
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

An example: "Duet" and "Little Green Men" are two of my very favorite DS9 eps, but they couldn't be more different in tone and style. Yet they're both STAR TREK, just like "City on the Edge or Forever" and "The Trouble with Tribbles" are both classic STAR TREK episodes.

Meanwhile, I remember at least one friend, back in the day, who argued that, yes, DS9 was a good show, but "it's not STAR TREK."

In my experience, what makes something "STAR TREK" varies a lot from individual to individual.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  10. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny enough, I think DS9 is the one spinoff that is TRUEST to the spirit of TOS than all the others. It's the only one that never took little jabs at their parent series while referencing it. (I'm looking at you, Janeway, with your 'booted out of Starfleet today' line.)

fireproof78, Vger23 and BoTWoT like this.
  11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Anything that’s called “Star Trek” by the people legally allowed to call things “Star Trek” is Star Trek.

12. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I already heartily disagree. No Dear Doctor, no Threshold, no Profit and Lace, no Code of Honor, no Author Author, no Homeward, no Picard or Discovery at all, no BEM... there are so many worse episodes than these "meh" entries.

BoTWoT likes this.
  13. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

Started watching, and I respect this a lot. No Discovery or Picard episodes in the first video tells me you are rating these legit and not hopping on the Nu-Trek hate train (and this is coming from someone that grew up on TNG, and hates the twist at the end of Picard season 1). I look forward to seeing this series til the end.

As a bonus if you are up to it (and why not, whats a bit more after 755 episodes?) I'd love to see the animated stuff rated, and maybe a single episode tackling the movies. I for one actually enjoyed JJTrek more than most of the TOS and TNG movies (other than Wrath of Khan, First Contact, and Nemesis. Yes, I enjoyed Nemesis, plot holes and all).

Qonundrum and BoTWoT like this.
  14. BoTWoT

Maybe try watching past the first episode that only contains 4 episodes of Trek...Everything except Author Author isn't far...

15. BoTWoT

Let me reiterate part of the intro of the first episode. Everyone's experiences are different, and effect our how we consume and enjoy media, like Star Trek. This list was put together by 2 people, who don't always agree on an episode, and we tried to be objective and look at this through the lens of "What is Star Trek", more than our own personal likes an dislikes. While "Shades of Grey" has always been my least favorite episode and ended up as such, my favorite episode is NOT #1 on this list. It's a starting point for discussion, and there is NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER TO BEST AND WORST EPISODES. Originally I was going to wait til the end of the list to do retrospect episodes doing reranking, talking about fan discussions(like this one), and going over trivia about episodes that had to be cut for time(there are always many more notes on episodes that can't fit in a 15 minute block.) But, I think I might do one for every 50 episodes put out. I respect everyone's opinion that lays it out respectfully, and am happy to change my mind based on fan feedback! It sounds like most of you are only disagreeing about currently released episodes by a few, and not by a LOT. I know there's going to be episodes I miss by hundreds, but it sound like so far many of you are only arguing for subtle reranks, putting other bottom 50's below some of what's already here. We're all here for one common goal. We love Star Trek! I hope these video spark more great discussion. Make yourself heard when you think things are wrong!

Commander Troi likes this.
  16. BoTWoT

It was always planned as a separate ranking list. TAS as a whole just can't stand up with the rest of the series. A couple of good stories, and a lot that would take up the bottom 5 episodes of this list. Kinda waiting for season 2 of Lower Decks(which I like A LOT but would be hard to fit into this list) before that gets worked on. Also planning on ranking the movies by themselves. This channel will eventually have a lot more diversity of content. Best and Worst X in Trek. Fashions of Trek will be the first of that coming out soon. Also, when the rankings are complete, I plan on taking the data to find out, Who are the best and worst director's in Trek? Best and Worst characters in Trek based on episodes focusing on them. Best and Worst writers. But, the whole list has to be gotten through for that stuff.

Commander Troi likes this.
  17. BoTWoT

Picard and Discovery have been REALLY difficult to rank. For every episode I don't personally like as a whole, when I go to watch them for ranking purposes, every single one has moments and elements that make me say,"We're not here in the list yet." I like Picard a lot, and I think it has massive potential as a show, but I agree about the ending. It feels weird and tacked on. But Chris Rios is one of my new favorite characters in all of Trek.

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Please use the multi-quote function, rather than posting 4 times in a row.

Thanks.

BoTWoT likes this.
  19. BoTWoT

My apologies. I didn't know such a feature existed. Will utilize in the future. Thanks for the tip!

1001001 likes this.
  20. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watching your second video now. I'm not the biggest TOS fan, but there's no way that Conscience of the King, Miri, or Who Mourns for Adonis deserve to be rated that low.

Not that they are great episodes. They are mediocre IMHO. But much better than the likes of Threshold, A Night in Sickbay, Profit and Lace, etc.

Not to mention how many genuinely terrible TOS episodes you haven't covered yet. I'd say that all but eight of Season 3's episodes are really bad, but you've covered little of Season 3 so far.

Edit: I cannot believe you have A Piece of the Action as 739! It's one of the most genuinely funny TOS episodes (one of the 3 Season 2 comedies) and would probably be in my top 20 for TOS.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    ananta and BoTWoT like this.