"After Earth" - Trailer (M. Night Shyamalan, Will & Jayden Smith)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude, so someone on Reddit had some fun with the idea that, much like the school the Smiths founded seems to have been partly inspired by Scientology, so might there have been some Scientology-related personal interest behind their choosing that story. Okay, so there are no explicit connections to be made. That doesn't make a hysterical McCarthyite out of everyone who read the thread (or, more likely, the numerous articles based on it) and thought it good for a laugh. Relax! ;)

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw it the other day and it wasn't a bad movie. I figured too that maybe people have a bias against Shyamalan. I didn't see anything that made it a terrible movie. In fact, I even liked the message about keeping the mind clear so that fear doesn't take hold. It's a central theme in a lot of religions and philosophies and has little to do with Scientology. My only gripe is that I watched expectling a twist or revelation at the end and didn't get one, but that's on me, not the movie itself.

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have zero interest in paying $10 - $15 to see this film not because Shyamalan directed it [and lets remember he's made some great films like The Sixth Sense] or because of Scientology or because Smith is in a film with his son again - and IMO Jaden isn't a bad actor - but I'm not interested at all because I think wild man hunting animals sounds like a really, really dumb idea and very bad villians.

IMO wild animals makes Shinzon in ST Nemesis seem like a brillaint villian. :rolleyes:

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I still have hope that I will like it. Even the bad reviews have said nothing that will turn me off from this movie. My expectations are not high. I like the premise of the movie, I like the message of not letting fear cloud your mind and I am not expecting a usual Shyamalan twist in the story.

5. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

My girlfriend and I have already made plans to rent After Earth when it comes out on video, and laugh our asses off! :)

6. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The critics just tear this film apart. And the way they thump on Shyamalan almost makes me feel sorry for the man.

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

^ I really think the critics are being unfair to this movie!

8. Gaith

I almost feel sorry for all the equally talented (if not greatly more) up-and-coming directors with far less ego than Shy who would have gladly given their left feet to helm this.

Oh, wait. I do feel sorry for them. :p

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know what's wrong with the critics, but it's getting really suspicious. It's not only the amount of bad reviews, it's also how the reviews attack the film and its maker.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, clearly, are ticketbuyers. :lol:

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think reviewers have gotten fed up with Shyamalan the moment he cast himself as the savior of humanity and killed an annoying critic character in his one of this movie. :lol:

12. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

"It STINKS!"

Gods what a horrible movie.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, i wasn't planning on going to see it but my sister and niece want to see it on Saturday and since I promised my niece I'd take her shopping at the mall I'm going to see it. At least I'm not paying for it.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, you'll pay, maybe not with money, but you'll pay.

15. Gaith

And don't forget subjecting them to The Last Airbender in horribly (barely) post-converted 3D, and then wailing about how critics don't appreciate the "accent" and "integrity" of his technique. ;)

Also, many critics love to champion auterist films and auteur filmmakers as inherently superior to generic, by-the-numbers movies. (When The Happening came out, I distinctly remember one critic from the AV Club saying that the also-new Iron Man was indisputably a better movie, but that the stylistic uniqueness of Shyamalan's movie made it more interesting.) And, to be fair, when one sees as much mediocre and generic, soulless product as professional film critics do, their hunger for distinctiveness is perfectly understandable. It's only natural, then, that they'd take special interest in skewing the Night: he represents a petulant, ego-fueled mockery of everything they love and champion in what they correctly see as the endangered ranks of auteur and indie writer/directors. Also, it's a lot more fun and easier to take potshots at a guy with that much personality than the Joe Schmoe director of, say, The Internship.

Really, this is all pretty straightforward. I don't know who JarodRussell thinks he's impressing with his ominous description of working writers' natural attitudes and responses as "suspicious". :rolleyes: :p

16. Enterprise is Great

If worse comes to worse I can always fall asleep.

17. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I found it.... mildly entertaining. Predictable. With incomprehensible accents. It killed 90 minutes.

18. Enterprise is Great

Looks like I'm not going after all. I told my niece that the movie got terrible reviews and now she doesn't want to see it.