Admiral Janeway, your personal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Devilpogostick, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She got lucky while being stupid.

These two stories are the same.

1. Janeway was threatened by 8472, so allied herself with the Borg to kill them all.

2. Allied commander in WW2 is threatened by the French Resistance, so makes a deal with the Nazis to kill them all.

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

They really aren't. 8472 threatened the entire galaxy. The closer analogy is making a deal with Stalin to defeat Hitler.

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

It's long been my opinion that her intended-to-be-short command of Voyager for the mission to the Badlands was intended to put a check in the right box on her resume so that she could proceed into the Admiralty as the pet officer of Admiral Paris that she obviously was. So, absolutely.
    Perhaps Troi was working with her post-Borg issues, being one of the first counsellors in the Federation to deal with multiple instances of that AND an empath, and then they became friends?
    Are we 100% certain that Pike wasn't *already* an admiral before the emergency boarding of available ships to go to Vulcan? Perhaps he was only a captain in station, not in actual rank, at that point?

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

His uniform had Captain's rank stripes when he was on the Enterprise, which would mean his actual rank was indeed Captain.

USS Triumphant likes this.
  5. marlboro

marlboro Guest

You bring Seven of Nine to the Alpha Quadrant, you get promoted. End of story.

[​IMG]

F. King Daniel likes this.
  6. Guy Gardener

You haven't seen In the Flesh?

It turned out that there was a misunderstanding about how evil and murderous 8472 was. "Your galaxy will be purged" was a bluff and exaggeration, an alien do-over of the Corbinite Manoeuvre, that Janeway's translator Kes, was too dumb to see through.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Fine, except now we have another case of small-universe syndrome (although there's plenty of that in Star Trek.) Why would Troi be the one to counsel Seven? Just because she was there when Picard was assimilated does not an expert make her.

8. Guy Gardener

Anika's very good friend Reg Barclay recommended Deanna.

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't just when Picard was assimilated. It was also for years of the aftermath of Picard's assimilation on his mind, plus her time with Hugh, plus counselling pretty much the whole surviving crew of the Ent-E after the events of "Star Trek: First Contact". I don't know if she'd be an expert at counselling people after an experience with the Borg, but I think she'd be just about the closest thing to it the Federation has at that point, except maybe whomever counselled the survivors of Wolf 359. And for all we know, that might have been her, too, since the ship was put in at Earth for a little while after BoBW.

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

But you're only assuming that because we the audience only saw her. For all we know, there were hundreds of other ships' counselors who dealt with the same thing. And really, Seven didn't seem to me to have any major issues with assimilating back into human culture, at least none that would require her to need years of therapy, IMHO.

11. Guy Gardener

She made a holosex puppet of a friend and ####ed it.

Then started ####ing the friend, because it had better programming than her holosex puppet.

The Girl has issues.

12. TheAdmiralty

TheAdmiralty Commander Red Shirt

I doubt there was another Borg invasion of the AQ between Best of Both Worlds and First Contact. The Enterprise had more direct contact with them than anybody.

13. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

They likely never promoted picard because his constant "starfleet is not a military speach" and where worried that given any higher command position the Dominion or the Romulans would have there flag planted on earth within a yeat!

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

No doubt the Enterprise had a lot of contact. But there certainly were further invasions - Picard speaks of the Borg advancing and the Feds retreating, and that happened neither in "BoBW" nor in ST:FC!

Also, we know there were assimilees from other ships. But the only one we know of ever having recovered was Picard. It's a bit difficult to see circumstances where others could have been saved, and there's no mention of such whenever the issue of saving arises (say, in ST:FC where Picard prefers death [of others] to survival in Borg form).

Then again, there's no mention of Picard when the EMH discusses deassimilation with Seven. If Picard really were a unique case, perhaps he ought to get a mention there?

Speaking of which, Picard still isn't trusted because he used to be Borg. Yet Janeway used to be Borg, too, in "Unimatrix Zero". How come she gets flag rank while Picard is stuck?

Timo Saloniemi