Actor Noel Clarke accused of harrassment

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Gingerbread Demon, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

“Better than Jimmy Savile” is possibly the ultimate low bar...

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To point out chronology, Clarke hasn't been in Who since the Savile expose. More down to the change of showrunner and his now-aborted profile I suspect, but...

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The really gross thing is that Clarke opened his defense with, "In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me."

So he starts off by bringing up diversity, basically using every BAME person in the UK film industry he's ever worked with as a human shield against allegations.

It's the same thing Kevin Spacey did when he was revealed to be a sexual predator; when the evidence was overwhelmingly against him, he came out of the closet and used his homosexuality as an excuse / defense in the hopes that the LGBTQ+ community would rally around him as "yet another persecuted gay man." Clarke is obviously hoping for the same thing: That people of color will see this as a successful black actor being targeted because he's black, and speak out in support of him. It's a deeply, deeply cynical ploy.

4. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Kevin Spacey's a pervy asshole, brought up in a weird abusive home, but I'm not fully sold on many of the worst allegations either (was he legally convicted?). Enough smoke to destroy his career mind you.

Noel Clarke a couple of years back recounted a story about John Barrowman getting his "weapon" out in front of cameras and a audience.

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yeah, and the videos sudden appearance all over Twitter when Clarke was accused by a couple of dozen people is exactly what I mean.

Starkers likes this.
  6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Another guardian article this one talks explicitly about the Dr Who set.

This is interesting:

If we assume this actor was in more than one episode and across seasons that's a very limited pool of women?

More stuff about Barrowman too.

Clarke = Monster
    Barrowman = Dick

7. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

They might have used "early seasons of the show" as a general descriptor of when he was on not necessarily to imply that the actor in question appeared in more than one season.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

fair point

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The word "woke" is an insult because it implies that everyone else is "asleep".

10. Lonemagpie

Notable that they're pointing out that none of the victims were considering Barrowman threatening or predatory, but discomforting, and that it was dealt with (after the Guardian blew the whistle themselves) in 2008 - it all comes across as them knowing it's an attempted disraction from the predatory behaviour even as they have to mention it.

ATimson and cardinal biggles like this.
  11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

No big surprise to be honest as the BBC seems to have been a nice safe place for them all to hang out(no pun intended) for decades before Savile put them all under a microscope.

12. TedShatner10

That's getting a bit paranoid and I can recall Barrowman's inappropriate behaviour described on a DW fan/writer blog all the way back in 200-&-fucking-9, so it was widely circulated rumours and stories, and it took the nastier rumours to surface about Noel Clarke in the past few weeks, drawing attention back on to Barrowman's dirty laundry.

Anyway, is anybody here part of the judiciary, forensics, and legal trade? We can say what we want about Noel Clarke's alleged misconduct and he's most likely a self-important, insensitive dick at best, but we've entered a scary post mid 2000s era where millions have turned into a hive mind of being judges and juries, ruining people on the spot; when will we make the next step as executioners?

Velocity likes this.
  13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Barrowman's behaviour was never acceptable but there's a big difference between having the sense of humour of a three year old and aggressive sexual harassment.

I've met enough me nlike Noel Clarke in my life to know that in his head because he believes he's god's gift to women he can easily rationalise himself as the victim in this situation.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn. I wondered if that might have happened during Doctor Who, too. I'm glad they came forward to confirm such speculation but I hate that they also had to deal with his disgusting behavior.

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  15. Lonemagpie

No, the Guardian did a full expose of it in 2008 with his stuff, just as they did last week with Clarke's, so not it wasn't just rumours. It's that media forgets over 13 years.

16. TedShatner10

Oh, so Barrowman was already "exposed" in the media many, many years ago, though Noel Clarke somehow kept under the radar all this time.

I think Clarke's bad behaviour or lewd comments on NuWho may have happened when he guest starred in the last few episodes (he built up immunity), if he acted like that in his first couple of seasons (when more of a regular) Eccleston and others would've bad mouthed him a very long time ago.

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Maybe others but probably not Eccleston. I don't think he has ever stated who it was he had bad blood with on the set (even though there's plenty of speculation regarding that). Eccleston strikes me as very professional wouldn't bad mouth anyone to the press, even those who acted horribly.

18. TedShatner10

Chris Eccelston didn't intentionallg bad mouth anybody, but in this VERY old article, John Barrowman claimed Chris Eccleston was "grumpy" (Eccleston also felt the production was stressful, overstreched and chaotic for the opening season, with one producer in particular being very arrogant/unprofessional towards cast, crew, and extras, etc). Nothing hinted about Noel Clarke in S1/2. He got into a shouting match with RTD over Cardiff's early NuWho facilities being inadequate.

I've got a gut feeling Noel Clarke got worse around Kidulthood.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  19. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Clarke talking about Barrowman video had been on Twitter a couple of years. As far as I can tell it becoming so prominent was kickstarted by his season 1 Bulletproof (and only season 1) costar Christina Chong retweeting it as an example against him. It's clear from her other tweets she was not part of a distract from Clarke conspiracy (I think her point wasn't even about the anecdote but how visibly uncomfortable he's making the two women on stage by not shutting up about it).

The main defence of Barrowman, that everyone thought it was good fun and no one ever complained, has now been finally shot down by the reveal enough people did complain at the time for a formal disciplinary to happen.

Will buy the no one took it as more than a joke gone to far idea if some of the people who actually complained back it up.

20. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

"Unnamed actor" really? So is the Guardian making shit up now or is the actor Billie Piper?